Question on mappings for Traktor 2
    Tech Convert

Question Question on mappings for Traktor 2

Hey everyone! I'm MissRayvin, I'm new to this forum and to DJ stuff in general and I had a question... I recently acquired a copy of Traktor 2 and a Razer Hydra and I was looking around on the official sixense forums for how to set traktor up to work with my hydra since I've seen a couple videos that prove it can be done but I found the threads I looked at to be severly lacking in information. And if that weren't enough, they also seem a bit dead too which is very disapointing. Anyway, my question is as follows:

In the setup guide thread, there was mention of a .tsi file that I needed to load into traktor, but I can't find it anywhere. What does a .tsi file do exactly and why would one be needed?

If you need any additional info, just let me know and I'll update this post with it.

Thanks in advance! <3

MissRayvin

Tech Mentor

the tsi-file can be imported/changed in traktorīs preferences (controller management or similar). the tsi says traktor what to do, when midi signals come in. (donīt know if thereīs a special razor hydra mapping yet (in the forumīs midimapping site https://maps.djtechtools.com/). so you might have to create a map on your own. (have a look at xtreme mapping software)

you will also need a software that translates your hydraīs signals into midi or osc. (osculator). look at the djtt blog and forum, there are articles about this kind of software.

when done, the signals of the hydra will be translated into midi/osc and will be received by traktor. traktor then knows (through the tsi file) what parameter you want to change/trigger..

hope this make sense to you. have no time to get into the depth. but you will find everything you need to know here at djtechtools.

MacBookPro 11,1 | i5 2,4GHz | 16 GB RAM | 256 GB SSD
    MacOSX 10.15.x | TraktorPro 3.x | VCI-100 SE FW 1.4 | VCI-400 SE (EGE)

Tech Convert

I do have a program to translate the hydra's functions to midi, and as far as I can tell the only thing I'm actually lacking in order for this to work is the .tsi file... I did a search in this section of the forum before posting this thread and didn't find any mention of a tsi file. I've even searched google and come up with nothing. At this point I think I'll just have to watch tutorial videos on mapping and try to go from there.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it : )

MissRayvin

Tech Mentor

so you will be the first to map a tsi for the hydra.

first steps.

-plug the hydra, open the app to translate into midi. then fire up traktor.
    -go into preferences and select CONTROLLER MANAGER

on the right are 5 sections
    -DEVICE SETUP
    -ASSIGNMENT TABLE
    -DEVICE MAPPING
    -MAPPING DETAILS
    -FADER/KNOB

Start in DEVICE SETUP
    -click add > generic midi
    -set in- & out-port to your hydraīs midi source

in ASSIGNMENT TABLE
    -click add IN(put) > DECK COMMON > PLAY/PAUSE

in DEVICE MAPPING
    -click LEARN. now traktor is waiting for a midi signal from your hydraīs midi source. so interact with your hydra in the way you want to play/pause a track.
    -after traktor noticed the midi, itīs showing up next to the learn button.
    -deactivate learn mode

the MAPPING DETAILS specify your command.
    -choose assigment DECK A
    - type of controller > button
    - interaction mode > toggle

Now you mapped your first controller mapping (tsi) and the interaction with the hydra will play/pause a track in deck A!

next step Deck B:
    - click the DUPLICATE button under the ASSIGNMENT TABLE
    - in MAPPING DETAILS, change assignment to Deck B
    - in DEVICE MAPPING, click LEARN and interact with the hydra the way you want to play/pause DeckB.
    - deactivate learn.

have a look at these links.
    when youīre new to mapping tsi in the controller manager of traktor, this might help you understand the different commands.
    http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...d.php?t=113464
    http://traktortips.com/midi-mapping-in-traktor/
    http://traktortips.com/traktor-settings-tsi-files/

not to forget the comand finder
    http://www.traktorbible.com/articles...nd-finder.aspx

and xtrememapping
    http://www.djtechtools.com/2011/08/1...e-mapping-app/
    Last edited by c0nsul; 06-12-2013 at 01:39 PM.

Tech Convert

Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to check it out when I go to do my mapping and I'll be sure to post it here once it's ready : )

<3
    MissRayvin

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

MissRayvin,

Happy mapping! If you run into any mapping issue feel free to post some specific questions.

Welcome to forums.

Tech Convert

As it turns out, I do have some specific questions lol...

in the video I will post a link to at the end of this post, at 2:00 minutes, 3:00 and 3:42 the controls shown I have not been able to map so far but everything else is mapped and working as expected. My specific questions are:

How do I map Ltrig + Rtrig + Right controller = crossfade?
    I recently discovered how modifiers work and I'm not 100% sure how they do work so if there's a link to a page somewhere with in depth info on this I think it would help greatly.
    As Consul stated, the way I want it to work is when I hold down both triggers and move the right controller horizontally, the crossfader moves.

How do I map the hot cue functions shown in the video?
    I don't quite understand how one button can be mapped to do so many different things

Which functions do I use to map the loop commands?
    There are a few and I'm confused about which ones are used.

Thanks for the replies and the support! As soon as I'm finished making sure my mapping works I'll be ready to post it and give a list of what's mapped where.

Here's a link to some pictures of the hydra and all it's buttons. Just scroll down to the bottom of the page. Keep in mind that both thumbsticks act like the ones on an xbox 360 controller so they can be pressed like buttons.
    http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-controllers/razer-hydra

I actually cannot map left and right movement seperately, as the program that converts the hydra's movements and button presses to midi signals sends x/y/z movement in 1 signal for all axes so instead of x+ and x-, there's just x. Thanks for the links and such, I will take a look closer look later as I'm a bit busy today.
    <3
    Miss Rayvin
    Here's the link
    Last edited by MissRayvin; 06-22-2013 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Additional Info

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Ok, so lets take it step by step.

Quote Originally Posted by MissRayvin View Post
    I recently discovered how modifiers work and I'm not 100% sure how they do work so if there's a link to a page somewhere with in depth info on this I think it would help greatly.

Could you please elaborate this a bit?

Basically you want to use two trigger buttons to adjust the x-fader by increments and to use a little joystick for smooth control?

Tech Mentor

itīs a good idea to rebuild that mapping shown in the video because it will teach you a lot about modifiers and the different commands (for loops and hotcues for example). donīt expect that your first mapping will satisfy you entirely. your mappings will evolve. so itīs time to play and experiment with your controller to find your personal workflow.
    Due to limitation of buttons you need to double assign the buttons with modifier conditions to get all your desired functions!

here are some basic and advanced links about modifiers:

http://thedjpodcast.com/episodes/traktor-shift-buttons/
    http://www.traktorbible.com/en/squeezing-modifiers.aspx
    http://www.djtechtools.com/2008/12/2...ore-controlls/
    http://www.digitaljockey.it/dij/inde...mid=45&lang=en

like stewe said, "Could you please elaborate this a bit?"
    the minority of this forum has the hydra, so itīs hard to imagine, which buttons/triggers/actions you want to use for a specific traktor reaction. do you have a pic of the hydra with all buttons numbered? you could post it in this thread so itīs easier for everybody to imagine, how you want to use it.

the different loop command and their purposes can be found in traktorīs manual: click help > open manual and search the pdf for loop, hotcue, and so on. the many different commands allow you to make traktor work exactly how you prefer. often you need to assign more than one command for a button to make a simple action in traktor.

Ltrig =trig1 / Rtrig =trig2

trig1 and trig2 set modifier value to 1

when modifier value is 1
    trig1 and trig2 set modifier value to 2

when modifier value is 2
    moving the controller left/right moves xfader left/right

AddIn modifierX > learn trig1 > hold > set value1
    AddIn modifierX > learn trig2 > hold > set value1
    --each of both triggers set modifier to value 1

AddIn modifierX > learn trig1 > hold > set value2 > modifier condition m1=1
    AddIn modifierX > learn trig2 > hold > set value2 > modifier condition m1=1
    -- pressing the other (whether trig1 or trig2) set modifier to value 2

AddIn modifierX > learn trig1 > hold > set reset > modifier condition m1=2
    AddIn modifierX > learn trig2 > hold > set reset > modifier condition m1=2
    -- releasing a trigger resets modifier value (maybe you have to check invert)

right controller:
    AddIn XFader > learn move left > modifier condition m1=2 > (depending on the midi thatīs send while moving left/right you have to tweak type of controller and interaction mode)
    AddIn XFader > learn move right > modifier condition m1=2> (depending on the midi thatīs send while moving left/right you have to tweak type of controller and interaction mode)
    -- when modifier value is 2 moving of the controller moves crossfader

in the video only the right controller moves the xfader. you can also map the right controller to deck B and the let one to deck A by using XFaderAssign left/right command.

________
    Last edited by c0nsul; 06-22-2013 at 09:48 AM.

Tech Convert

Just wanted to let people know I've edited my post with additional information via red text. Going to start reading up on those links tomorrow so I'll let you guys know if I make any more headway with the mapping. : )

MissRayvin

EDIT: The guy in the video finally reuploaded the .tsi file so I'm going to test it out now.
    Last edited by MissRayvin; 07-03-2013 at 04:27 PM. Reason: News