Not new to Traktor but just started with DVS

Default Not new to Traktor but just started with DVS

Just found some old gemini 500 11 in my garage they are in great shape . So i broke out my audio 6 hooked up to my s4 and boom everything working fine .How to i get my pitch on the tables to do what i want in the program they jump around a little. everything else works great . What kind of cartridges and headshell should i use with traktor vinyl simple stuff i ll get mot complicated when im not so drunk . Thanks you guys are the best .Im using s4 ,aslo have audio 6 and a F1 , midifighter ,2 500 ii , launchpad and im ready to go . but seriously any pointers will be greatly appreciated
    MBP13",TSP,S4,F1,2TT,ABELTON 8 SUITE,PRO TOOLS 9.(Music Is My Solice)

Tech Wizard

It's possible that the tables need to have the pitch calibrated if they've been sitting in a garage for awhile. Maybe you should have them serviced.

I use the Shure M44-7 cartridges and stylus on my Technics, they don't skip and sound great. My only gripe is that they seem to collect a lot of dust, but they're much cheaper than the comparable Ortofons and from what I hear are just as good. Welcome to the world of DVS, now you can just sell that S4 to make room for a proper mixer!

if your using scratch ignore the tempo marker on that track internally ... it will only confuse things!

i also switch off the phase as i find my self looking at the screen rather than listening to the music! does anyone else do this?

(im not using sync with my dvs)

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by MRG12EG View Post
    if your using scratch ignore the tempo marker on that track internally ... it will only confuse things!

i also switch off the phase as i find my self looking at the screen rather than listening to the music! does anyone else do this?

(im not using sync with my dvs)
    I don't use sync with my DVS but I definitely use the phase meter (probably a little more than I should)... By ignoring internal tempo marker you mean the internal software tempo faders? The actual BPM in Traktor is reasonable to rely on.

Quote Originally Posted by rip_king View Post
    I don't use sync with my DVS but I definitely use the phase meter (probably a little more than I should)... By ignoring internal tempo marker you mean the internal software tempo faders? The actual BPM in Traktor is reasonable to rely on.
    yeah correct ignore the faders and check the BPM...
    as for phase i feel its changes my mixes as some times its ok to be out of phase i prefer not to have it on.. for me its just another thing to look at!

i am new to dvs tho so i finding there a bit of a curve to it all compared to slapping vinyl on a deck! lol
    Last edited by MRG12EG; 11-14-2012 at 07:49 PM.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by MRG12EG View Post
    yeah correct ignore the faders and check the BPM...
    as for phase i feel its changes my mixes as some times its ok to be out of phase i prefer not to have it on.. for me its just another thing to look at!

i am new to dvs tho so i finding there a bit of a curve to it all compared to slapping vinyl on a deck! lol
    Yeah it's a good point about sometimes not wanting to be 100% in phase, I kind of just use it as a quick barometer for how close I am after I try to drop the tune on cue and will nudge to get it close then give it a listen in the cans to make sure the phasing sounds correct. Something I've also found helpful is having 2 MIDI buttons mapped to phase sync for each of my decks. That function works by just pressing a button once and it will put your slave track in sync in phase with your master track. It's nice to have available as an emergency function if you realize your beats are slipping while in the mix.

if you want full control over dvs pitch you have to use a numark or vestax pdx ttable. Otherwise you are limited to whatever pitch your ttable has... you can get about 12% adjustment on a standard 1200. I'm not real familiar with the xl500 b/c I only had a set for about 6 months before I got 1200s.

as far as traktor and settings are concerned...I take all the extra stuff off to keep the cpu usage down and take an old school approach to mixing. I don't rely on BPM, it's never correct anyhow...phase meter, auto sync, auto volume, auto anything... I use my eyes on the crown and my ears on the mix...I organize my tracks like old vinyl crates...don't even use BPM at all...

I tried using all the goodies when i first switched to traktor but it ruined my mix. bpm readings are never correct. Know your music, practice, and put your laptop as far away from the mix as possible
    --> (2) Technics 1200 mk2, (1) Technics 1200 m3d, (1) Technics 1200 mk5, Pioneer DJM-S9, Rokit 5 Monitors, BX8 Monitor, TSP2, SDJ, DJP4M (DjProForMac), 2015 Macbook Pro (Quad Core i7 2.5ghz, 16GB RAM, 2GB AMD-R9, 1GB SSD) <--