Technics 1200 MKII Problems/Need Advice
    Tech Wizard

Angry Technics 1200 MKII Problems/Need Advice

Hey everyone, so i recently picked up a pair of technics from a guitar center for $360 shipped.

I got them and they're nice, really enjoying them but 2 days in I couldn't get my records to stop skipping for timecode :/. Finagled everything and finally came the realization that it's the tone arm. And not just the arm itself but the entire base.

The anti skate doesn't do anything to the arm, and it looks like I can't adjust height on either of them. My guess is that the lack of balance in the arm causes the record to jump up and then make contact with the platter again rhythmically.

I have looked online and found that tonearms cost about $100 to replace. You think it's worth it to just take these to a shop and get them serviced and tuned up? Really starting to think it's more of a hassle than anything to find a nice solid pair of technics!

Or should I return them, cut my losses and look for a new pair?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Tech Mentor

Have you tried floating the tonearm and adjusting the anti skate?
    Did you unlock the tonearm height adjust lock?
    It's not uncommon for the height adjust to get seized up with dirt, cleaning and lube will usually get them moving again.

It sounds like they may have been crushed. Check for any obvious signs like warped decks, scratches on the top of the gimbal, bent tonearms, play in the gimbal, smooth tonearm movement etc.

Traktor skips for some people with bad settings so it would be nice to be able to rule that and worn styli out of the equation.

Tech Wizard

I unlocked the tone arm and floated (put weight as far back as i could and then moved the skate; arm just sits there. Guessing the bearings are bad).

Warped decks are again up in the air... I can't see if they're warped and honestly the amount of play in the record looks very minimal. The only reason I really KNOW there is an issue is because the record or needle will CLICK at the same location during the roation. If it is warped, it looks like both turn tables might be warped (also switched platters from one to the other and the problem persists so I don't think it's warping).

Took platters off and untightened and retightened screws on the gimbal. There is no give other than up and down on the gimbal (not sure how to eliminate that, guessing the weight of the platter does naturally).

The movement on the tonearm is relatively smooth, but i'm guessing the problem is with the anti skate and the general balance of the arm. (If there is a slight warping, then the slight upward movement momentarily sends the tonearm and cart up making a slight skip is my guess :/).

Settings are all good, set the latency to 256 (tried other settings). Have my settings on Scratch mode, etc, etc. Fiddled with just about everything I could.

OH and finally in regards to the height adjust, it's definitely seized with dirt. Doesn't look broken but it's just frustrating. I was told everything on these units were 100% working order. More likely than not the tonearms got jacked in the shipping over here (tonearm was just taped down and they were stacked ON TOP OF EACH OTHER with a ton of bubble wrap around them). I guess whoever did it thought that bubble wrap made things weigh less?

Tech Mentor

Sounds like they were crushed in transit then

I dunno about prices and availability in your area. I'd do the maths to see whether it adds up repairing them or you're better off just getting your money back and buying a pair in better condition instead.
    The work isn't too hard, Viperfrank did some videos showing the work involved
    http://www.youtube.com/user/viperfrank/videos?view=0

Tech Wizard

That's definitely what it is... went through and fiddled with the bearings as well. Was able to improve the signal coming out of both but it's definitely the tone arm. I have a warranty through guitar center, lets see if i can convince them to replace both of the tone arms. I could do it myself but honestly feel much more comfortable about sending these bad boys out for repair (and i'll maintain my warranty!)

Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie View Post
    Sounds like they were crushed in transit then

I dunno about prices and availability in your area. I'd do the maths to see whether it adds up repairing them or you're better off just getting your money back and buying a pair in better condition instead.
    The work isn't too hard, Viperfrank did some videos showing the work involved
    http://www.youtube.com/user/viperfrank/videos?view=0

Have you tried turning them off then back on again?
    Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    Yeah I really regret getting 1200s; they're obsolete.
    --said no one ever

it can be as easy as someone putting the tonearm on wrong...if replaced... or a screw being to tight... ive fixed many tonearms with the same issue... always a simple fix...the three screws on tonearm have to be evenly adjusted and not too tight...thats why there is a screw to adjust and a ring....adjust space and tension with screw and hold it secure with ring
    --> (2) Technics 1200 mk2, (1) Technics 1200 m3d, (1) Technics 1200 mk5, Pioneer DJM-S9, Rokit 5 Monitors, BX8 Monitor, TSP2, SDJ, DJP4M (DjProForMac), 2015 Macbook Pro (Quad Core i7 2.5ghz, 16GB RAM, 2GB AMD-R9, 1GB SSD) <--