Is anyone else planning to use the Z2 without turntables or cdjs?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is anyone else planning to use the Z2 without turntables or cdjs?

So I'm pretty stoked about the new Z2 because it's got everything I need in the most compact form. High quality mixer for EQ's, cues, filters, and some control over the remix decks for some ad-lib drumming.

Planning to use this as my sole standalone controller for Traktor. I like my setup as minimal as possible! Maschine and cdj's will be added down the line, but for now this mixer has everything I need to control Traktor and perform simple A-B mixing (using sync obviously). A simple midi mapping for play/pause and all transport control is on board too.

Stoked!

i couldnt get on with just a mixer, but then i dont use sync

s4 mite be a better buy..

but you do say your getting cdj's but if you dont i think you wont get the most of the mixer as you'll be mixing internally only.. which means you may as well just get a controller

Tech Mentor

That will almost definitely not be possible. I'd be very surprised if the Z2 supported custom mapping like that.

This is Native Instruments, you can't just assume that you could do something logical like map your their own hardware inside their own software.....

Quote Originally Posted by oilythread View Post
    That will almost definitely not be possible. I'd be very surprised if the Z2 supported custom mapping like that.

This is Native Instruments, you can't just assume that you could do something logical like map your their own hardware inside their own software.....
    correct me if im wrong but i think it is a feature of the z2 to be able to mix internally AKA via midi... i cant see why you cant change the map?

Will more than likely be like the X1 and F1 where the standard mapping is like HID while it is midi mappable

Tech Mentor

I should clarify:

The Z2 runs on HID instead of midi. NI hasn't allowed the ability to custom map HID in Traktor. They pre-program the mappings. So the Z2 will have a few specific pre-determined changes you can make, but you won't be able custom map it.

They might add an additional midi "mode" like they did with the S2/S4/F1 that you could map however you like, but you'd lose all of the features that NI's decided not to let us midi-map, including the colored LEDs, and the numerical readouts.
    Last edited by oilythread; 11-07-2012 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oilythread View Post
    Neither can I, but you still won't be able to because NI won't let you.

Although I should clarify:

The Z2 runs on HID instead of midi. NI hasn't added the ability to map HID in Traktor. So the Z2 will have a few specific pre-determined changes you can make, but you won't be able custom map it.

They might add an additional midi "mode" like they did with the S2/S4/F1 that you could map however you like, but you'd lose all of the features that NI's decided not to us you midi-map, including the colored LEDs, and the numerical readouts.
    you said what i was thinking but alot better than i did

Tech Mentor

sorry homie. I also edited it since that quote so that it makes a bit more sense.

Nice discussion. Good things to know!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast