What would you recommend as monitors/speakers for your home DJ set up ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What would you recommend as monitors/speakers for your home DJ set up ?

I unexpectedly made a bit of cash recently and decided I updated my sound system. My RGAS was laying dormant for months now anyways, time to end that.
    Pic related, it's my current sound system, looks ridiculous for DJ purposes, but it punches well above it's weight.

This is what I'm leaning towards at the moment.
    http://www.djstunter.nl/Webwinkel-Pr...ET-8-400W.html

But I fear the price is too good to be true and the sound will be bad. Also that they might be overkill for daily home use.

So DJTT, what do think about them ? And what do you have ? And do you favor monitors (like pioneer monitors or something, don't wanna invest in studio monitors at the moment) or speakers ?

Tech Mentor

I use Cerwin Vega D-1s as my primary monitors. I was lucky and found someone on Craigslist that was selling them for 70 bucks, re foamed. They lacked bass out put so I bought myself a Polk audio 10" home theater sub. Unfortunately my receiver is having a hard time keeping up with all of em. The receiver itself is kinda old but i'm not sure what to invest in to help it out.

To answer your question, I think it all comes down to personal preference. IMO, spending money on studio monitors isn't justifiable unless you're producing as well. Just look around for a good 2.1 hifi system and I think you'll be happy with the results.

I got some Event Electronic BAS 20/20s.

http://www.eventelectronics.com/2020BAS

Great speakers, more then enough punch to mix without a sub (at least in a room the size I use).

I'd recommend them if you were ever going to look into monitors.

I use a pair of Behringer Truth 2031A's.

Cant fault them. They've been brilliant.

Been through the mill as well, travelled with them, lent them out. And they've lasted.
    http://soundcloud.com/squirec Mixes mainly containing funky/disco/chicago/swing house. Although, there's always room for a little something different.
    Equipment: 15" Macbook Pro (Mid 2012), Traktor Pro 2, Traktor Kontrol X1, Pioneer CDJ 1000 Mk2 x 2, Pioneer DJM 700, Sennheiser HD25 Mk2 headphones.

Sorry but Behringers are cardboard compared with 20/20s. Now 20/30s, the most amazing reference monitors I've ever had (yes could not afford Opals.)

Are you looking at pure DJ:ing or a combination of DJ + production work? If plain DJ:ing, any cheap studio reference monitor is fine. For production work you need good tools.
    ---
    Contact me if you have a cool musical idea. @kentsandvik

Quote Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
    Sorry but Behringers are cardboard compared with 20/20s. Now 20/30s, the most amazing reference monitors I've ever had (yes could not afford Opals.)

Are you looking at pure DJ:ing or a combination of DJ + production work? If plain DJ:ing, any cheap studio reference monitor is fine. For production work you need good tools.
    I wanted the 20/30s... Money became an issue though. I have friends with the Opals, they sound f*king amazing.

The 20/20s are fantastic for DJing as well as production I find, big clear bass. I picked mine up for $740 AUD for a pair.

Tech Wizard

i have a pair of mackie 5.25 that are plenty loud and clear. i eventually added in a 10' KRK sub because... well I wanted more bass.

Tech Mentor

What is your budget? Also, are you looking for something you can use for DJ gigs or just for home use?
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | (2) Pioneer CDJ-2000 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    MacBook Pro | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | (2) EV ELX115P | EV ELX112P | (2) EV ELX118P

If you're just playing in your bedroom, I think KRK RP5s are awesome. They're loud, clear, and sound good in small rooms at reasonable volumes. I've also used mine at house parties as booth monitors, and they just keep working.

Some people will tell you that a home hi-fi system will wound better and/or be cheaper, but I've not seen any evidence of it.

And it seems to me like the kit listed in your OP is ridiculous overkill for a bedroom. If you're looking for speakers for a house party as well, they might be worth considering, but I've always been a QSC/JBL kinda guy………mostly because that's what I happen to keep playing on.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

OP .. beware of many "computer" speakers and hi-fi systems as well

Many of them have a DSP which delays the sound by around 100ms which makes mixing impossibe.

The original systems you posted are both utter tripe (sorry but they are) ... those things might say 400watt's, but it'll be 400 watts of midrange and tweeter nastyness.

The KRK's mentioned are rocking speakers. Samson resolve 5's aren't a bad budget box either - but depends on the room size and volumes you like to play at.

If you want a bigger bass end and like vintage gear perhaps a second hand set of Yamaha NS20's + Small Amp could be had for under $200 and will sound awesome.

Personally I found the Bose 201's (old models) fantastic and dirt cheap to buy and perfect multipurpose party/dj monitors that can take a beating. Celestion KR2's or JBL control5's are all bloody brilliant bang for buck "almost unblowable" party/bedroom/dj monitoring speakers.
    Last edited by deevey; 11-09-2012 at 12:38 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast