Traktor S4

Thread: Traktor S4

Default Traktor S4

Want to upgrade my setup and i'm thinking of getting the Traktor S4. Want to see what people think of if, I've heard/read reviews about it being a GREAT controller. Ive also heard it has a lot of issues like clipping, decks not working, freezing in traktor, stuff like that. Can all of you that own a S4 give me some insight into this controller and let me know if you have the same issues. Any info from people using the S4 would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! Dj DoIn' BaD

[Twitter] @Djdoinbad
    [Facebook] https://www.facebook.com/DjDoinBadTheMixtapeAssassin
    [Mixcloud] http://www.mixcloud.com/Dj_DoIn_BaD_Mixtape_Assassin/
    [BBM] 2305CD0B

Tech Guru

S4 is an upgrade? Just messin w/ you. When it came out 2 years ago there were really bad issues w/ the soundcard, but a combination of NI sorting it out w/ driver fixes and people buying newer faster laptops, it seems like most of those issues are in the past for the most part. It's reasonably priced controllers, and it's not a expensive proffesional piece of equipment, so stuff wears out, dirtyy faders act up, basically just like any other controller out there really. I think you'll like it, I say go for it.

its would be an upgrade for me hahahaha ive been looking for a new controller but dont know what to get?! any suggestion on any other controllers?
    Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    S4 is an upgrade? Just messin w/ you. When it came out 2 years ago there were really bad issues w/ the soundcard, but a combination of NI sorting it out w/ driver fixes and people buying newer faster laptops, it seems like most of those issues are in the past for the most part. It's reasonably priced controllers, and it's not a expensive proffesional piece of equipment, so stuff wears out, dirtyy faders act up, basically just like any other controller out there really. I think you'll like it, I say go for it.

Tech Guru

I like the MC6000 cause it's simply just built better. It's also a stand-alone mixer, which may or may not matter to you. If you're stuck on using Traktor, then the S4 might be the best choice as it's lay out was designed to be used w/ Traktor unlike any of the other all in one controllers. I've never followed any of the Serato controllers, cant comment on them. So if you were going to use VDJ, I would get a MC6000, Traktor - I would get a S4, and Serato I really don't know.

I dunno if you're just starting out, but let me run this by you and see what you think. All-in-one controllers are def the cheapest way to start DJ'n. The only problem with them is when you want to take it from being a hobby to making money. People become dependant on using only their controller, when in reality no club has an S4 or a MC6000, and it's not always possible to bring it in. Even the occasions where u are able to make room to bring in your controller, right or wrong, your peers will look down on you for bringing something into the booth that looks like a toy to them. You may not care what others think, but you'd be surprised how many managers or owners or head promoters started off DJ'n or even still DJ on the side, and no matter how well you mix, theyre still not gonna get over their controller bias, and they're just gonna think of you as another rookie DJ trying to use a controller in MY club. - Just a disclaimer.

With that being said there are a def people that have brought controllers into bars/lounges, although Ive yet to see one in the booth at a real club.

Sooo, what I'm getting at is this; another option for starting out , a pair of Tech 1200's ($600 or less), used NI A4 and scratch upgrade package (for Traktor) or used SL1 (for Serato) both will be around $250 no matter which software you plan to use, and a cheap 2 channel mixer (around $100). With a setup like that you can go into any club and mix no problem, wether on your own tables or the clubs tables. Once you get the basics down you're gonna want to get a X1 or F1 or dicers or maybe all of the above depending on how crazy you want to get. If you start to make money then maybe you can splurge for a $1000-$2000 badass mixer as well.

So to re-cap, nothing wrong w/ using a controller, def the cheapest way to start and great for hobbyists. If your future plans include making it into clubs, you take what I said into some consideration, but dont make it your ultimate deciding factor.

Tech Wizard

I swear I am not stalking you!
    I own an s4, too! I love it. It was the perfect step up in technical capabilities but is still nice and portable. I brought it when me when studying abroad in Japan and took it EVERYWHERE. I have never had an issue with sound quality (the biggest show I played was around 150 people).
    Do you have some time this weekend? If we can coordinate for like 30 minutes or so, I'd be happy to stream live and mix a 20 min set or so for you on webcam so you could see it in action.

Check out the article here if you're after alternatives: http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2011/12...rs-guide-2012/

That said, I run a moderately powerful windows laptop, and if you know how to tweak the settings (which NI explain how to do) you can have no issues whatsoever. I love my S4
    Dell Studio XPS 1645 | TSP 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Audio 6 | HDJ-1000 | Alto PAM5A

thanks you really got me thinkin now about what i want to get, because on one side i want to get a controller BUT one day if i feel im good enough i would like to dj at a club or something? right now for the most part i just make mixes and post them online. so maybe options on what to buy, what to do, what to do ?hahaha

thanks you really got me thinkin now about what i want to get, because on one side i want to get a controller BUT one day if i feel im good enough i would like to dj at a club or something? right now for the most part i just make mixes and post them online. so maybe options on what to buy, what to do, what to do ?hahaha
    Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    I like the MC6000 cause it's simply just built better. It's also a stand-alone mixer, which may or may not matter to you. If you're stuck on using Traktor, then the S4 might be the best choice as it's lay out was designed to be used w/ Traktor unlike any of the other all in one controllers. I've never followed any of the Serato controllers, cant comment on them. So if you were going to use VDJ, I would get a MC6000, Traktor - I would get a S4, and Serato I really don't know.

I dunno if you're just starting out, but let me run this by you and see what you think. All-in-one controllers are def the cheapest way to start DJ'n. The only problem with them is when you want to take it from being a hobby to making money. People become dependant on using only their controller, when in reality no club has an S4 or a MC6000, and it's not always possible to bring it in. Even the occasions where u are able to make room to bring in your controller, right or wrong, your peers will look down on you for bringing something into the booth that looks like a toy to them. You may not care what others think, but you'd be surprised how many managers or owners or head promoters started off DJ'n or even still DJ on the side, and no matter how well you mix, theyre still not gonna get over their controller bias, and they're just gonna think of you as another rookie DJ trying to use a controller in MY club. - Just a disclaimer.

With that being said there are a def people that have brought controllers into bars/lounges, although Ive yet to see one in the booth at a real club.

Sooo, what I'm getting at is this; another option for starting out , a pair of Tech 1200's ($600 or less), used NI A4 and scratch upgrade package (for Traktor) or used SL1 (for Serato) both will be around $250 no matter which software you plan to use, and a cheap 2 channel mixer (around $100). With a setup like that you can go into any club and mix no problem, wether on your own tables or the clubs tables. Once you get the basics down you're gonna want to get a X1 or F1 or dicers or maybe all of the above depending on how crazy you want to get. If you start to make money then maybe you can splurge for a $1000-$2000 badass mixer as well.

So to re-cap, nothing wrong w/ using a controller, def the cheapest way to start and great for hobbyists. If your future plans include making it into clubs, you take what I said into some consideration, but dont make it your ultimate deciding factor.
    if you could just make a video and send it to me that would be the best for me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bears'N'Backpacks View Post
    I swear I am not stalking you!
    I own an s4, too! I love it. It was the perfect step up in technical capabilities but is still nice and portable. I brought it when me when studying abroad in Japan and took it EVERYWHERE. I have never had an issue with sound quality (the biggest show I played was around 150 people).
    Do you have some time this weekend? If we can coordinate for like 30 minutes or so, I'd be happy to stream live and mix a 20 min set or so for you on webcam so you could see it in action.
    thanks im gonna checkout that link right now!
    Quote Originally Posted by jezalenko View Post
    Check out the article here if you're after alternatives: http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2011/12...rs-guide-2012/

That said, I run a moderately powerful windows laptop, and if you know how to tweak the settings (which NI explain how to do) you can have no issues whatsoever. I love my S4
    Last edited by padi_04; 11-10-2012 at 10:23 AM. Reason: merge