Your oppinion on a Hercules RMX?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Your oppinion on a Hercules RMX?

First of all sorry if I posted this thread in the wrong section(didnt read the before you post a thread haha sorry!)

Secondly, for those who have a RMX, can you tell me if you like it and why? My cousin might be getting one and wants oppinions on it from people who already have em. For example do you like:
    -the feel of the jogs
    -does the soundcard sound good enough for you
    -from the look of the pictures the buttons look like they feel very plasticky,what's your oppinion on that.....

And if you would recommend it to a beginner like my cousin =)

Me on the other hand will be getting a vci 100 soon hopefully!

The sound card on the rmx is shit, tell him to get the control steel no sound card but much better IMO. So if he doesn't have the s/c the rmx will be ok but i really like our steel you can run over it with a steamroller and it wont break
    Last edited by Jester; 07-14-2009 at 10:35 PM.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

haha more of a tank than the vci-100?!!? I don't believe it! =)

i cant speak for the VCI but take my word for it the Steel is a solid piece of kit. And you can take the top plate off and customise it if you want. The only thing is the wheels are a bit small on the hercules' and not touch sensitive, but if he's gonna use sync etc that wont be an issue. Talk to Segfault he has the RMX
    Last edited by Jester; 07-14-2009 at 11:02 PM.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

You could've just kept on adding info instead of editing it =p haha and thanks for some insight jester. Yeah from the looks of it the jogs don't look touch sensitive, also can you stop the song by pushing on the jog or is it only for like pitch bend?

Tech Mentor

I had an RMX for good while and I can honestly say that it's a solid piece of kit.

• The buttons may be a little stiff for some people's preference.
    • Jogs are OK but a little smallish. Not particularly made for scratching if that's your thing.
    • Good weight - stays in place - solid
    • Not all of the buttons have working LEDs (due to the inclusion of a sound card).
    • Sound output quality is average by most opinions but should suffice for bedroom/weddings/house parties.
    • Hercules routinely updates drivers/firmware. Good tech support/forums.

For me, the RMX was a lot of fun to configure. The pots, faders and buttons are all MIDI assignable and I came up with a lot of different configurations for FX, playlist control and loops until I had a workflow that was just right.

I sold my RMX to my cousin (heh) and got a pair of SCS.3d controllers. I missed my RMX the day it left, honestly. I am seriously considering picking up a Steel and using it in conjunction with my 3d's. The more I think about it, the more I love that idea.

+

(Sorry about the large pictures)

Here's something to consider:

The RMX is $350 and the Steel is $250. If your cousin can come up with $100 more then I would suggest getting a Steel ($250) + an Audio 4 DJ ($200) for a total of $450, which of course is just $100 over what would have been spent on a RMX anyway. That way, your cousin will have a very good controller and quality sound.

I'm noticing that the RMX community is growing bit by bit lately - here and on NI's forums.

Nope. Use it for pich bend, scratching and jog, and whatever else you can map modifiers to.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by r0bust View Post
    You could've just kept on adding info instead of editing it =p haha and thanks for some insight jester. Yeah from the looks of it the jogs don't look touch sensitive, also can you stop the song by pushing on the jog or is it only for like pitch bend?
    You can do both with any software that allows for flexible MIDI configuration.

I'm looking into getting a pair of those stantons

Tech Mentor

Don't worry empolo those pics are a good size =) and thanks for your oppinions!

Also I live in canada where prices are different =/ RMX goes for 455 at my local shop. Also the audio 4 is 260. I don't know how much the steel costs since it wasn't in the shop last time I checked which was yesterday. But I got to play with the ns7 and saw a few other controllers like the xponent, hercules mk2, idj2 and some cd decks but they're all out of my price range especially when I saw the real size and price of the cdj 1000 my jaw dropped haha

But for the steel and audio 4 idea I'll tell him that since he told me he wanted to spend less than 700$ but is close enough =p
    Last edited by r0bust; 07-15-2009 at 01:35 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast