button finger drumming
    Tech Mentor

Default button finger drumming

So does anyone know of anyone who's actually top-teir or close to top-teir who does the type of ableton-style finger drumming that mad zack is doing in videos? Yes I know about Aarabmuzik and Jeremy Ellis and the guys doing APC-style finger drumming, but that's pretty different, but what about the ableton-style thing.

I watch Mad Zack's videos and it's cool and all, but to me it seems like the way the climate is with top-teir performers, I'm not sure if people outside of those of us on the perfomance side would care if someone did this kind of thing live.

The whole problem with doing all of this live, is that unless you have like a camera / video feed pointing at you and broadcasting it onto a TV or projector the crowd can't see what you're doing. Therefore for all they know you could be playing a remix. And especially if you're just a regular DJ and not a producer and you're playing at a club, people will care even less, they may enjoy it for a few minutes but I really doubt they'd care to listen to that the entire time - you'd probably hold their attention for 4 or 5 max, then they'd go with their friends to go get a drink and try to start dancing again.

Coldfuzion has it pinned - if the audience can't see and/or is there for some other reason besides the performer, it might be lost on them. I think that it's a newer movement.

Quote Originally Posted by botstein View Post
    Coldfuzion has it pinned - if the audience can't see and/or is there for some other reason besides the performer, it might be lost on them. I think that it's a newer movement.
    Totally agree and unless you've made a name for yourself doing this, it's kinda like masturbating in front of a crowd.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    Totally agree and unless you've made a name for yourself doing this, it's kinda like masturbating in front of a crowd.
    Okay, I stand by what I said but you sir(real) have gone beyond my point.

Quote Originally Posted by botstein View Post
    Okay, I stand by what I said but you sir(real) have gone beyond my point.
    Point taken
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Agreed on all comments (except SirReal's ). However, I think what it comes down to is... what do you think is cool and/or fun to do? If you watch Mad Zach's videos and enjoy them, then that's all that matters. If you want to learn finger drumming because you think it's fun as hell to do, then that's all that matters. Whether or not someone else in the crowd notices is just icing on the cake. Of course, just don't let it disrupt the flow of your set...
    Check out my Youtube channel for controllerism routines, mashups, tutorials, etc. using Midi Fighters and other tasty gear.

http://www.youtube.com/user/underwaterrobots

Tech Mentor

Well, I think that the thing is that it's applicable only to short youtube videos. It's cool to watch for two minutes.... but it doesn't make sense to do a set like that.

I've seen aarabmuzik a few times, and it's cool, but the novelty wears off quickly..

Tech Mentor

I guess that's how every performance-heavy DJ technique is. An hour-long battle scratch set would not be entertaining, neither would a Controllerism set especially.