Wuz's Setup History - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The 4D is great if you want to have sessions with other people as it has an forest of I/O both analog an digital (22 Cannel USB soundcard!)

It's not at all pricy concidering waht you'd pay for just the mixer.

I'm currently setting mine up as both the soundcard for my DJ setup as my procucing setup in it's infancy.
    IBM Thinkpad X41 - IBM Thinkpad T60p - Xone 4D - 2x SL1210 - Maschine mk2 white

Quote Originally Posted by boarderbas View Post
    The 4D is great if you want to have sessions with other people as it has an forest of I/O both analog an digital (22 Cannel USB soundcard!)

It's not at all pricy concidering waht you'd pay for just the mixer.

I'm currently setting mine up as both the soundcard for my DJ setup as my procucing setup in it's infancy.
    looks like theres one still available for $1899, the full version filters are appealing but does it exhibit the same midi bugs as the 1D/2D?

tbh the lights and control combinations on the K2's seem much more appealing now though, thinking about what I could do in terms of LED feedback is making me drool.
    < Progressive | Trance | Full On Psy | Liquid DnB >
    < Xone:1D:22:2D + Vestax PadOne >

Very true. The K2 is more "sexy".

I'm unsure what midi bigs you mean. They fixed the lighpipe issue with the 4D. It's not sexy, but its also unequalled in terms of possibilities.

I bought both my 4D and 3D secondhand. Look for someone who bought it and was intimidated by it to the extend he did not get it working.

My 4D came from a pretty bad place. I essentially bought it dirty and dusty for the same money I sold my mint 3D (Sold €775, bought €850, about 1,5 years ago). But as these things are built to last, after a good cleaning it was as new.

Update the firmware! They still release regular updates.
    IBM Thinkpad X41 - IBM Thinkpad T60p - Xone 4D - 2x SL1210 - Maschine mk2 white

there was a well documented issue with the 1D/2D where any endless encoder and the jogwheel itself could send off input data from one another. Depending on what it was mapped to this could create an unwanted effect. For example I use one of the endless encoders to browse the collection with a press of the same encoder to load the selected track. Every now and then as a result one of the other encoders that I use will send scroll data and while I don't specifically touch the mapped encoder the selected item in the collection will move up or down involuntarily. I have taken this into account by using a shift button that must be held for the jog wheel to pitch bend. The only actions i will map to the encoders directly without a shift button are actions that don't effect sound (loop length select, track select etc).

this was evident at least one or two midi firmware version ago and to my knowledge hasn't been fixed. with this considered I might choose a pair of K2's over a well priced 4D should I decide to upgrade.

It's a pain in the arse but regardless I still love these control surfaces for their durability. Perhaps the issue isn't even evident in the 4D, I never researched it that far, but it definitely remains in the 1D/2D.
    < Progressive | Trance | Full On Psy | Liquid DnB >
    < Xone:1D:22:2D + Vestax PadOne >

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12