Why my master volume bar is turning red ? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

No, its my first production on ableton. I've been mixing with controllers and stuff but nothing like that.
    So you are saying that i should re touch the settings of the compressor until it's not in the red in the master ?
    But why the master is going in the red in the first place if the kick is in the green ???

Tech Wizard

Because of the amount of output you put, the kick wont show red but since your kick's output it above 0db when it reaches your master it's showing how much of the output from the compressor is coming out, if that makes any sense at all. drop your kicks fader by half and let me know.
    Long live the Noob Wizard

Tech Mentor

Ok so i followed your advice, I put a limiter on the Master deck.
    No saturation, good sound.
    BUT 2 issues:
    -> With the limiter on, the drop isn't that loud
    -> How can i make the volume of the track louder

here is the sound: you will notice, the drop => not loud AND the sound in general not loud at all
    Last edited by YaYa; 11-17-2012 at 10:22 PM.

The fact that the drop at 1.20 isn't very is more a composition thing.

Try making the downbeat section a bit longer, and build more tension before the drop.

I'm just going to go straight out there and say if you don't understand how sounds added together equal louder sounds then you really shouldn't be producing.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

you can see that the deck for the kick is in the green, but the master is in the red
    From your screenshot you have 2 tracks running in the green and your compressor's output is high so just turn down your master down till its green as well or your compressor so you are green when all your tracks are mixed together - simple.

Think of it this way ..

Volume @ 10 = Solo Kick Green
    Volume @ 10 = Solo Snare Green
    Volume @ 10 = Solo Tom Green

10+10+10 = Master volume @ 30

Now while not Technically accurate in decibel terms, the basics stand, the more layers you add the more you need to turn down your master, if everything is green and at the desired volume just drop the master volume of the track across the board until its in the green as well.

Once thats done you can concentrate on compression/limiting on your master channel up to a nice "just below red" level. You'll need to Play around with look-ahead and release times to get that "pump"... side chaining will allow you to pump certain frequencies more than others so you are not just compressing everything by the same amount - limiter should be used carefully and as sparingly as possible.

Also remember any effects sends/returns you route to master are going to add more volume to the track as well.
    Last edited by deevey; 11-18-2012 at 09:25 PM.

Tech Wizard

I'd take your levels down a bit on each track, you can always boost the volume levels through mastering later on.

Sometimes to make my drops seem later and have more power is to use some automation on the master volume. I will drop the breaks by around a decibel. Then when the drop kicks in automate it back to the volume you had previously.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack4 View Post
    I'd take your levels down a bit on each track, you can always boost the volume levels through mastering later on.

Sometimes to make my drops seem later and have more power is to use some automation on the master volume. I will drop the breaks by around a decibel. Then when the drop kicks in automate it back to the volume you had previously.
    What is automation ?

@devey: 10db + 10db is not equal to 20 db but 13 db (it's sound physics) (LOL)

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by YaYa View Post
    What is automation ?

@devey: 10db + 10db is not equal to 20 db but 13 db (it's sound physics) (LOL)
    Hence the reason I stated :

Now while not Technically accurate in decibel terms
    I was trying to get the point across that the more you add the louder it will get.

Tech Mentor

That's for the master to track not to clip, but even if i eq every other deck, and reduce everything, the sound which would come at the end would be very low. And if i rise the master deck a little bit higher:
    --> Either it's going to go red
    --> If i raise it enough not to go red the sound would still be low
    So how at the end to i raise the main volume of the track

(and what is automation)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast