Why my master volume bar is turning red ?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Question Why my master volume bar is turning red ?

Hi ! i'm making a progressive house track with a friend.
    We put a Kick 909 that i compressed, some fat bom bom bom (like the one dada life uses, and fatten at 7% with sausage fatner) boming at the same time of the kick. and a synth that we put at 6 db.

played alone the sounds stay in the green (i'm talking about the volume fader to the left). but when i play them together the master bar goes in the red (especially when the kicks and the dada sound kicks together).

How can i slove this issue?

Sidechain the bass to the kick so it momentarily dips.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Consider using a limiter.

Tech Mentor

2 questions:
    -> What is sidechaine ? (maybe i already use it, but my ableton live is in french so what is it ?)

-> The limiter is in the effect ? does it allow me to lower the saturation ?

Tech Wizard

Sidechain is an option you can enable on the compressor tool by clicking on the small arrow in the top left of the box.

The Limiter is another tool available from the Audio Effects dropdown menu. It limits your sound by compressing it.

You might want to consider just lowering your levels by equal margins until you aren't clipping on the master channel. You can't have all your stuff cranked up and expect the master to stay below clipping. I mean, imagine 2 people speaking at the same volume: together will be double as loud as one of them alone. You have to compensate for that with your mix down.

my advice, turn the volume down of both tracks till the master peaks at most at -6dbs, there you wont clip, turn your speakers volume up instead of the master volume

Tech Wizard

my advice is stalk Tarekith, easiest way to start this would be going to his blog http://tarekith.com/
    Long live the Noob Wizard

Tech Mentor

You can eithe lower the levels on the individual channels as the others suggested or simply lower your master volume fader.

Side chaining the bass to the kick doesn't sound like a good idea to me in this case. It might help to solve the problem, but it will also impact the sound: by sidechaining the bass to the kick your bass will loose some of its attack, as this is the part that will typically get ducked the most when the kick hits. Plus you get that typical pumping sound (which is ok if you want it...).

So even though it might help with the cliping problem: do not sidechain your bass to the kick, if the attack phase of your bass sound is important for the overall sound of your bass.

This is why you have CHANNEL FADERS - it's called mixing.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Convert

you can put a limiter on your master channel. however it's better to lower your separate channels. you should never go in the red. don't amplify everything to make it sound loud or banging or powerful or whatever. no one likes distortion in a track.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast