Which is easier to use?

Default Which is easier to use?

As a new wannabe DJ, I would like to know which is easier to use with Traktor Pro: the original VCI-100 with its buttons and knobs mapped according to their labels, or an upgraded VCI-100 with firmware 1.3, the Traktor Pro overlay and matching TSI files?

I mean, is the overlay made for advanced DJs or is it equally easy to use as the standard VCI-100 layout? I think they look quite different from eachother.
    Last edited by Lundmark; 07-16-2009 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Update

equally as easy to use ... just more functionality from the remapped version. GET ON IT!!!
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

I'm on my way. However, this got me confused:

Known Bugs if using firmware 1.2
    The Flanger ON button on Deck B controls Deck A Cue
    The B-Masher On button on Deck B also controls Juggle mode
    The Cue C monitor is the same and Cue B
    But then there's this:

The TSI file is backwards compatible so we will continue to support the 1.3 firmware in our TSI files in the coming months but eventually 1.3 will be phased out as I work with NI to implement all the unique functionality directly into the software.
    Both from the VCI-SE + Traktor Pro article.

Does it mean I shouldn't upgrade to 1.3 because it will be discontinued? But the bug with the 4th effect button is still there, and despite Ean working with NI to replicate most of 1.3's feature in the software, the hardware bug of fw 1.2 will still be there. I don't get it. What should I do - order the fw upgrade kit or not?
    Last edited by Lundmark; 07-16-2009 at 05:08 PM. Reason: spelling errors

order the upgrade kit ... it can be used for any futore upgrades not just this one. The FW itself is free the kit is just away of accessing your vci's flash memory.

Do it! There is talk of 1.4fw soon so if you wanted that you can then use the same kit to upgrade again

Just to add ...

I think if the functionality was worked into traktor then that would probably leave the vci open to be pushed even further with new firmware so the upgrade kit is always a bonus to have.

Right, so I can always revert back to 1.2 or whatever fw is needed in the future.

What concerned me most was this:

eventually 1.3 will be phased out as I work with NI to implement all the unique functionality directly into the software.
    I guess he doesn't mean that they will revert back to 1.2, because of the bugs, but maybe launch a new FW? Still a bit unclear.

As soon as the stuff is back in stock, I will order the upgrade kit, black knobs and faders and the overlay. Looking forward to it.

naaah no point ever reverting back to buggy firmware. I think what that means is some of teh functionality that has been worked into FW1.3 will be available to set up in the software. For example .. the way the dry wet knob on 1.3 sends another note at the max mark. This may end up being an option within the software so people without vci's can also perform this trick.

Yes you can always revert back to whatever fw you want once you have the kit, and also will be able to upgrade as soon as new fw comes out. You will be able to take great pleasure in listening to all the people on the forum that want to upgrade but have yet to buy the kit and its out of stock, but you my friend (as long as you take this step now) will be rockin 1.4, 1.5 or whatever is out ....... AND LOVIN IT !!!