Wuz's Setup History
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Wuz's Setup History

So I stumbled upon a photo of my old setup from April 2008 and figured I would throw up a progression of my gear over the years. Being a proud owner of a crappy camera phone is the only thing that hasn't changed.

April 2008:
    The beginning, the BCD3000, with the release of Traktor Pro 1 a M-Audio XSession Pro (unpictured) was picked up for effects, this was replaced when a second hand Korg PadKontrol (also unpictured) came up for grabs.

February 2009:
    With the BCD3000 now a year and a half old a volume fader started to glitch out and an investment was made into something a bit more solid, the VCI-100 with an Audio Kontrol 1, the PadKontrol remained. A proper Digital Camera seems to have made an appearance too.

Later that year:
    The PadKontrol was resold in favour of a Nanopad with a new roadcase and portability in mind.

This shot was taken for the sale of the gear after a Xone 1D/2D were aquired from two DJ store sales, the pads on the Nanopad had failed so it was put aside for the Nanokey that was a birthday present. No XY Pad, a sad day indeed. The nanokey was fine for hot cues/gridding.

After owning the VCI100 I had gotten a taste for quality metal products, the roadcase from the VCI100 housed the new gear but this was short lived when the desire for external mixing became apparent.

The lust for XY pads re-ignited and a second Nanopad was obtained for next to nothing, they were butchered and added to the setup.

Along with a Xone 22 and a roadcase to suit (modified slightly as it was designed for smaller Pioneer players)

Again the Korg products seemed to fail intermittently (perhaps because two thirds of them was missing ) A ex-display Vestax PadONE was obtained at a reasonable price - with no regret at all, this thing is built properly. This is still the current setup today.

The Production bug bit me earlier this year and a second hand Maschine was purchased along with a Keyboard. Amidst a steep learning curve and still working a full time job this setup is sadly the victim to procrastination a lot of the time but I'm working on it.

Everything together. The second Xone 22 is leftover as a master mixer from my old housemate which we went halves in to mix between our setups. This is still used today with the Maschine on CH1, Traktor on CH2, KRK 5's on Monitor out and PA on Master out.

This progression has seen my taste through Progressive House/Trance, to Full on Psytrance to my new love, Downtempo/Liquid Drum & Bass. It was probably not the most cost effective means to an end at times but it has been fun and hey, it's only money. I can safely say that you get what you pay for and nothing beats metal construction. That and I don't want to mix internally ever again.
    Last edited by tekki; 11-13-2012 at 05:35 AM. Reason: upped image sizes
    < Progressive | Trance | Full On Psy | Liquid DnB >
    < Xone:1D:22:2D + Vestax PadOne >

great setup timeline!!
    If you don't have haters, you're not doing it right

Great setup! I feel like I'm also at the phase where I'm wanting modular equipment with external mixing!
    A&H Xone DB4 l (2) Traktor Kontrol X1 MK2 l Maschine MK2 l Traktor Scratch Pro l Ableton
    Avalon (Hollywood) l Exchange LA (Los Angeles) l DS#ARP LA (Los Angeles) l Undercurrent (San Diego) l Frenzy Afterhours (Los Angeles) l AL Party (Los Angeles) l Spin (San Diego) l Sutra (Orange County) l Monarch (San Francisco)

Quote Originally Posted by Otacon View Post
    great setup timeline!!
    cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by epikeddie View Post
    Great setup! I feel like I'm also at the phase where I'm wanting modular equipment with external mixing!
    Modular is nice and flexible, time to start mixer shopping

Heyyyy, nice to see you back here.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Quote Originally Posted by tekki View Post
    Heyyyy, nice to see you back here.
    you too dude, what can I say, got a bit lost for a while.

Hi Wuz,

What a peculiar way to assemble a 3D

As a 4D owner I recommend it. Much more versatile (you wouldn't need the second :22) and you will have no need to relearn your equipment!
    IBM Thinkpad X41 - IBM Thinkpad T60p - Xone 4D - 2x SL1210 - Maschine mk2 white

did you tought the Padkontrol's led's and other buttons where mappable to?
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

Quote Originally Posted by Wuz View Post
    you too dude, what can I say, got a bit lost for a while.
    No worries, as long as you have enjoyed it.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Quote Originally Posted by boarderbas View Post
    Hi Wuz,

What a peculiar way to assemble a 3D

As a 4D owner I recommend it. Much more versatile (you wouldn't need the second :22) and you will have no need to relearn your equipment!
    This setup stemmed from a desire for the 3D (before the 4D even came out) in the end the 4D came out and retail was over $3000, the 22/1D/2D were all aquired for about $1500-1600 (all new). A while ago the 4D dropped to around $1900-2000 and I was tempted to make the change but really couldn't justify it. the K2's have my eye now but I love the quality from the 2D's soundcard and I have the 1D routed via midi cables to the 2D and powered by a butchered USB cable - So it's still only one USB plug for all of the Xone devices. I want to get a new laptop but the one I'm looking at has Windows 8 preloaded, which I'm willing to give a try but just waiting for A&H to release Windows 8 Drivers for the 2D. This is critical as it is the audio and midi hub for the entire setup.

Quote Originally Posted by DJDoubleYou View Post
    did you tought the Padkontrol's led's and other buttons where mappable to?
    yes that was a bit of a disappointment. But I bought it on a whim second hand for $150 - a steal at the time (prior to Korg releasing the black version) and I had no trouble getting $150 back for it
    Last edited by Wuz; 11-14-2012 at 04:20 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast