ISO: Solutions for automating music collection aging?
    Tech Student

Default ISO: Solutions for automating music collection aging?

So I have this issue that I'm sure alot of people have, but I haven't seen a great solution for it yet.

I use Serato Scratch Live, although I recently got a VCI-380 which uses Itch.

I have a huge collection and I keep a large amount of it on my DJ laptop.
    It keeps pushing the size of the drive, so I have to remove things pretty often.
    Upgrading is an option, but the problem of clutter ends up being pretty big too.

Is there any good solution for helping with this issue, either inside of an app or from a 3rd party software?

Things I'd like to see:
    - Something that tracks total plays relative to the age of the file, and time since last spin
    - Configurable "aging" that will move files to a backup (off drive?) location when it hasn't been played or previewed for a certain period.
    - Active cleanup of duplicate files, either by size, exact name, or replacing lower bitrate with higher bitrate?

Probably more things that could be part of this, but I wanted to start a thread to see if i'm missing something,
    or if somebody is already working on a solution to this problem.
    Last edited by cutups; 11-12-2012 at 02:09 PM. Reason: type-o in title.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by cutups View Post
    So I have this issue that I'm sure alot of people have, but I haven't seen a great solution for it yet.

I use Serato Scratch Live, although I recently got a VCI-380 which uses Itch.

I have a huge collection and I keep a large amount of it on my DJ laptop.
    It keeps pushing the size of the drive, so I have to remove things pretty often.
    Upgrading is an option, but the problem of clutter ends up being pretty big too.

Is there any good solution for helping with this issue, either inside of an app or from a 3rd party software?

Things I'd like to see:
    - Something that tracks total plays relative to the age of the file, and time since last spin
    - Configurable "aging" that will move files to a backup (off drive?) location when it hasn't been played or previewed for a certain period.
    - Active cleanup of duplicate files, either by size, exact name, or replacing lower bitrate with higher bitrate?

Probably more things that could be part of this, but I wanted to start a thread to see if i'm missing something,
    or if somebody is already working on a solution to this problem.
    by more HD space, it is not expensive at all - ie a NAS or backup HD... i doubt you need you whole collection on your laptop. Also, you can put a second HD in your laptop as well.

Jay

Tech Student

I do get that answer Jay. I do have a backup HD.

In this thread at least, I'm looking for a more robust software solution for management, like I was describing.
    Even if that isn't the answer I go with, curious to know what, if anything is out there.

I haven't found anything. The problem is that it would have to interact with your Serato Library. That's not that big of a deal, but it's a pretty small market, especially considering how differently people use SSL/Itch/DJ and how many people use completely different software.

Personally, I just keep all my music on an external (well……actually more than one, but that's a different thing) and periodically backup everything to the "master" archive, delete all the music off my laptop, then go digging in my archives.

It's amazing the stuff you forget about buying.