Need advice on home studio setup for beginner into Skrillex & Deadmau5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default Need advice on home studio setup for beginner into Skrillex & Deadmau5

Hi,

My buddy is a huge fan of Skrillex, Deadmau5, Porter Robinson, etc.

He's interested in creating his own music, but he's starting from scratch (so to speak). He can't read music and doesn't play keyboard or any other instrument.

For his bday, I'm getting him a home studio setup to use with his MacBook Pro.

I also enrolled him in DJ101 at Scratch Academy. (They say to begin with that before moving on to music production classes.)

Below are the choices I'm looking at. (Click on the image.)

I'd like for him to be able to create the kind of music he's into -- but I also don't want to start him out with a setup that's so complex he gets overwhelmed and doesn't want to stick with it.

Can anyone make any suggestions?

Thanks!!

--Mike

home-dj-setup-options.jpg

Get Logic, more value for less money. And if someone can't make Skrillex/DeadMauS et rest music with Logic, most likely they don't know what they are talking about.
    ---
    Contact me if you have a cool musical idea. @kentsandvik

You seem to be a very nice friend!

Traktor controllers come with the Traktor software, so you would not need to buy that separately if you bought a Traktor controller.

I would suggest Ableton over Logic.

I would suggest a full-size keyboard over a mini keyboard.

Tech Mentor

Wow, must be a very good buddy....

Traktor is a Software for DJing, i.e. playing music and not for creating your own original tracks, so that leaves Ableton and Logic. If money should be an issue go for Logic, else the choice is all yours. Actually, which DAW to chose depends heavily on personal preferences regarding workflows, etc., so you might even want to consider giving him a voucher for the DAW so he can chose which ever he likes best.

The Traktor controller is also designed for DJing and not production.

If he can't play keyboard there really isn't much that would speak against buying a mini keyboard, as he probably will only be sketching out melodies with one hand and not playing complex stuff with two hands that would require a large key board.

Quote Originally Posted by TCMuc View Post
    Wow, must be a very good buddy....
    yeah holy hell, for my bday i might get taken out for a beer and thats pretty much it let alone a studio set up lol

Go with Logic, forgo the piano keyboard and just have him use the computer keyboard instead, if he doesn't know how to play piano there isn't much point.

Thats it. That's all you need.

If you have extra money to spend, which it seems you do, invest in a good soft synth like Sylenth over some of those other things. If he is interested in DJing as well, then get the Traktor controller, if not its completely unnecessary to get a controller for music production right now. Instead of studio monitors, i'd invest in a solid pair of studio headphones, much more useful for the beginner and you can use them for other things like not bothering ppl around you lol

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by grazz16 View Post
    Go with Logic, forgo the piano keyboard and just have him use the computer keyboard instead, if he doesn't know how to play piano there isn't much point.
    Even if he can't really play, a small keyboard is helpful and the mkp mini offers good value for money.

If you have extra money to spend, which it seems you do, invest in a good soft synth like Sylenth over some of those other things.
    Logic comes with enough on-board instruments that he won't need something else for quite some time..
    Last edited by TCMuc; 11-14-2012 at 05:16 AM.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Tell him to use Garage Band until he figures out what he needs to better his workflow. If you want to spend some money buy him some VST's, Sylenth and Massive are popular.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Even if he can't really play, a small keyboard is helpful and the mkp mini offers good value for money.
    True, just saying its unnecessary thats all. I have a mini myself actually but i only got one this summer and I do know how to play keys. When i was fooling around with Garage band to start, i just used my computer and that was more than sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Tell him to use Garage Band until he figures out what he needs to better his workflow.
    this is also true, we're saving you money all over the place now lol

My personal recommendation is to see if he wants to learn to DJ first, produce second. The reason I'm suggesting this, is if your friend has no musical background at all, aside from liking some music, mixing tracks will teach him how music is structured, and teach him how to listen objectively and actively to his music.

The other route you can take, if he has no background in music, is fruity loops. The program makes laying out tracks much easier than writing the drum lines, bass lines, synth lines etc. all by himself.

Sounds like your buddy has a pretty solid friend. Do you make music as well?
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Can't use FL with a mac, or its a complete faff on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast