The photography thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The photography thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Ruel View Post
    Canon EOS 5D Mark III

Those are nice cameras. I'm a Nikon guy myself, but they're pretty. Last night, my girlfriend and I watched a movie (like……a full-fledged movie) that was shot with 5d mk2s on steadycam rigs. It was freaking impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by MyUsername View Post
    <something about the festival>
    Where are you in Beligium? I used to live in Antwerp (east of the river).

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Those are nice cameras. I'm a Nikon guy myself, but they're pretty. Last night, my girlfriend and I watched a movie (like……a full-fledged movie) that was shot with 5d mk2s on steadycam rigs. It was freaking impressive.
    Those SLR's are used in more movies more than you could possibly imagine. When they first came out with the HD video capability in SLR's it changed the game like nothing else in the world. A $5000 kit of body and a few lenses could accomplish the look of $50,000 worth of gear.

When the 5d first came out we were looking at getting a couple of them and I had a meeting with the Canon rep set, but the higher up's changed their minds before I could get my hands on one.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

The 5D MkII was a complete game changer in almost every way. Definitely THE camera on my wishlist.
    HP Envy 14 Beats Edition, Traktor Pro 2, NI Kontrol S4, NI Kontrol X1, NI Kontrol F1, AIAIA TMA-1

DJTT #1 setup pimp 2012

The 5D III should be on your wish list The ISO capabilities are ridiculous. You can actually USE ISO 25600.

I really haven't done much with video just yet. A little... I have a decent set of lenses and picked up the Manfrotto video monopod.

Of course to get some of those amazing shots you see in films you need all sorts of gear around the camera, focus assist, trolleys, steadi-cams... It's surely an art! DSLR's make pretty terrible "camcorder" like video recorders.

I've always found funny the "ISO you can use" phrase. I personally push my XSi all the way up to 1600 (how I'd like to have 6400), and it still renders "usable" shots. It clearly depends on the purpose though, but unless you want to make huge prints it generally won't matter that much IMO.
    HP Envy 14 Beats Edition, Traktor Pro 2, NI Kontrol S4, NI Kontrol X1, NI Kontrol F1, AIAIA TMA-1

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Those SLR's are used in more movies more than you could possibly imagine. When they first came out with the HD video capability in SLR's it changed the game like nothing else in the world. A $5000 kit of body and a few lenses could accomplish the look of $50,000 worth of gear.

When the 5d first came out we were looking at getting a couple of them and I had a meeting with the Canon rep set, but the higher up's changed their minds before I could get my hands on one.
    Agreed. I've seen them used on set before, usually places that they couldn't fit a fully dolly. Silent House was shot 100% with 5D mk2s (on steadycam rigs and with full lighting & everything else), and I think that's kind of impressive.

Believe me, jumping ship to Canon has been a serious option. I sold most of my nice lenses to a friend (who needed them for legit work while I happened to be pretty cash poor), so the near future would be the time to make the switch……I don't think I've used anything but my 35/2 in a while. I wonder how much a 5dmk2/3 and a 17-35/2.8 zoom costs (one of the lenses I sold)………then again, I almost bought a MBA today on half a whim. This 13" behemoth is starting to bug me.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

We have a broken 10D at work and Canon offered us a 7D for $1000 and a 5D MarkII for $1500 on their loyalty program. The cheap asses at work will most likely get the 7D even though I told them the 5D was the camera to get.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Speaking of cameras...
    i´ll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

Cool.

I don't even know that I'd know how to use a view camera. I mean……I could take the picture, but I'd probably fuck up getting the back off……I almost ruined a roll of 120 film in a friend's mamia………he reminded me about the dark slide just in time.

DJTT #1 setup pimp 2012

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Cool.

I don't even know that I'd know how to use a view camera. I mean……I could take the picture, but I'd probably fuck up getting the back off……I almost ruined a roll of 120 film in a friend's mamia………he reminded me about the dark slide just in time.
    Gah film! I always wanted to play around with medium format, but the cost barrier is so damn high. Of course now that I have the 5DIII, the quality is so freaking good there is much less point.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast