CDJ-850 vs 900 for Traktor HID setup
    Tech Wizard

Default CDJ-850 vs 900 for Traktor HID setup

S'up!

I just played a gig on my friend's DJM-900 and CDJ-2000s, all plugged in via USB to my laptop running Traktor (with an X1 and custom mapped controller for FX on the side). And what a great way to play that is. But a pair of 2000s is super out of my price range, so let's chuck that out the window.

But down to the 850 and the 900: their main differences seem to pertain mostly to DJs playing without a laptop; things like pro DJ link (or whatever), looping, slip mode, sound quality, and so on. For a DJ playing on Traktor and using the CDJs with HID, none of that matters. If I'm not mistaken, with Traktor 2.6 both the 900 and the 850 have Traktor HID support, so my question is: for that setup, what's the difference? Are there any discernible advantages that the 900 has over the 850 in HID link mode, and if so, what?

Tech Wizard

Ah balls. I'm so wrong. The 850 still doesn't have HID support. How do I delete this thread?

sure it does? i was just at a DJ store the other day and was playing with them.

long story short, i've been using 1000mk3's with serato for many years, and one finally died on me a couple of weeks ago. brought home a DDJ SX and returned it as soon as i could. went back to the store with my laptop this time, and plugged into the 850s, 900s, and both versions of the 2000s.

the nexus was way too buggy for me. the regular 2000s felt nice, but i knew i would be paying for features i would not use enough. the 900s felt very similar to my mk3's, without the obvious jog adjust. the 850s felt like total trash, and the HID mode had major lag issues with the platter display and main lcd.

i've done some research on the 850's lag issue and there are ways around it, but for $1500+ for a pair of cdjs i dont want to have to deal with tricks to make my shit work right.

i ended up buying a pair of 900s. they feel awesome, the HID mode is much more accurate than my mk3's with timecode, and i've actually even gotten into the rekordbox/usb link thing. hell, i'm using it at a wedding right now!

Tech Wizard

I'm not sure the 850s do HID with Traktor. But ok cool, thanks so much for the info! That helps a lot.

oh traktor, i'm sorry. i missed that detail!!

The 850's for whatever reason have not played nicely with Traktor via HID since their release. Two reasons for this:

1. 850's do not have 'Advanced' HID mode. Not sure what that means, but apparently the 900 and 2000's have 'Advanced' HID integration.

2. Pioneer/NI have not gotten together to make a fully suitable mapping yet for the 850's. I'm not sure who is more at fault or if this is simply just a hardware issue (reasons listed above).

DJ who played before me last night had a set of 2000's with a DJM 900 all running via HID. Looked super crispy.
    Soundcloud @ http://www.soundcloud.com/dj-sved
    Twitter @ https://twitter.com/djsved
    DJM 900 Nexus
    Two Traktor X1s

Are you sure you want to do it that way? Using them ad HID controllers is a good way to spend a lot of money on very little functionality.

If you're going to get the CDJs, why not just use the CDJs?

The 850s work with traktor via midi, not HID. That means the jog response is shoddy and the lights don't work properly.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

I don't see the point of DVS with any CDJ program if you can plug in your hard/jump-drive directly, link via network cable and play without a laptop on the actual unit...that to me seems much easier. I only use DVS b/c i got tired of dragging crates to gigs... cdj's, mixer, korg for fx's, hard-drive for music...good to go
    --> (2) Technics 1200 mk2, (1) Technics 1200 m3d, (1) Technics 1200 mk5, Pioneer DJM-S9, Rokit 5 Monitors, BX8 Monitor, TSP2, SDJ, DJP4M (DjProForMac), 2015 Macbook Pro (Quad Core i7 2.5ghz, 16GB RAM, 2GB AMD-R9, 1GB SSD) <--