USB input to my controller bust!! any advice?

Default USB input to my controller bust!! any advice?

Hey djTT, sorry if this has been covered elsewhere (or if its a stupid question).
    Today, black friday, I dropped my beloved Oxygen 8, and the USB input on the back broke (the female USB type B socket)

I've taken it to pieces (which i'm fairly familiar with) and hae found out the problem - and have resolved that the whole socket needs replacing. I've found one to buy (for £2) but I'm really worried I'll damage the circuit board if I try to solder a new one in... I'm a wuss I know, but I'm only worried because its not my own from scratch controller, and I dont want to do any irreparable damage to it.

Are there any wizzkids of electronics out there who could reassure me? I'm fairly handy with a soldering iron, so that's not the problem, just want assurance that I'm doing the right thing!

Peace
    Belch

I would hit up M-Audio and check the cost of repair if they will do it. They might hook you up for free its worth a try.

edit just noticed you lived out of the states so that might not help you.
    Last edited by kaleaf; 07-18-2009 at 07:01 PM.

As far as replacing a socket goes they are pretty straight foward, If you are competent with using a soldering Iron then your half way there, first up you will have to remove the broken socket, this is where desoldering wick or copper braid comes in handy, lay it on the solder to be removed then heat with the soldering iron and the wick will draw up the solder. ONce the solder has been removed the socket should come right off. Then all you have to do is insert the new socket and solder away.

A few Tips

1) your iron must be hot!!! if it is not you risk a few things, excess force, dry solder joints but mainly you will be in contact with the board for to long and risk lifting the tracks.

2) Flux helps the solder flow, I personally use a flux pen absolutly marvelous.

3) 5 2 5 this is a great tip, apply iron to part to be soldered for 5 seconds then apply solder to part for 2 seconds(with iron still in place) then leave iron on part for 5 seconds to allow solder to flow.

4) Chisel Tips, these are fantastic, a lot of people try and use the smallest tips on there irons but the problem is they dont transfer the heat enough, my favourite tip is a 10mm chisel tip, it gets the heat into the join nice and quick, I even use it for SMD soldering under a microscope a must for electronics.

Hope this helps.