Is My Beloved BlackBook Too Old?
    Tech Mentor

Default Is My Beloved BlackBook Too Old?

Greetings DJTT!

Been a bit of an absence since my last post, but I once again seek the wisdom of the DJing community, specifically the IT pros. I did a gig last night and it went smoothly, but my laptop was giving me all sorts of grief with Traktor. Not initially jumping to cue points, choppy waveform display, etc. it got me wondering if my computer is finally getting to the point where I need to think about retiring it and replacing with a new system, however I wanted to get some nerds in here to pitch their case for or against replacement.

Traktor's requirements per NI's website:

Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7 or 10.8 (latest update), Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM (4 GB recommended)
    My laptop specs:

Black MacBook OS X 10.6.8
    4GB DDR2 RAM at 667MHz
    Intel C2D at 2.4GHz
    250GB 5400rpm HDD

I am using it with an S2 and occasionally add in a midi-mapped DDM-4000 for 4-deck mixing. This laptop is used exclusively for DJing. There is nothing on it other than Traktor and a few small DJ-related programs.
    Technically I meet the required specs, however I'm running some slow-ass ram compared to the systems today. This is my main worry.
    What scares me the most about it though, is that the battery is so shot that it won't hold any charge. At all. Shutting down the show is literally a matter of pulling it off the charger.

I know I'm limited by the HD size, and was thinking of going SSD, but I don't think this system would be able to fully take advantage of the speed. I am open to modding the system. I have built a gaming PC recently, so I would say I am modestly tech savvy, so long as soldering isn't in the equation. Any nerds out there, you can get into the weeds with jargon (I work for Lenovo)

So now I open up the floor: is my computer too old? Why or why not?
    Last edited by DJ Sunshine; 11-13-2012 at 10:42 AM.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

Tech Guru

I'd make it useful for a while by maxing the ram and adding an ssd. I'd think it will be fine for DJ'ing. That said, I think the black macbook was my favorite computer, I owned one for about 2 years and I regret getting rid of it.
    :: Kontrol Z2 :: :: Technics 1200 :: :: Pioneer DJM 250 :: Kontrol X1 MkII :: :: Maschine :: :: Kontrol S4 ::

I run Traktor with no issues using a Macbook Air 1.8C2D, 2gig RAM and a 120gig SSD. It runs fine.

That said it was crap until I put the SSD in as the RAM was non-upgradeable.. Well worth the cash.