Googles Nexus 4! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by DarioJ View Post
    I am really surprised to hear that... Most people I talk to say they don't have problems with their iphones. "It just works" and "It's a whole different experience" :angel harps in background:.
    <soapbox>

That has not been my experience. They "work", but I'm a computer geek. Like……a ridiculous computer geek.

<geekiness>
    I prefer c to Java in just about every case (well, every case where something like haskell, ruby, perl, or webtools like mySQL/php doesn't win by default), I use vim over IDEs and have opinions on the editor wars, Terminal is the most-used program on my Mac with only Firefox (with vimperator) in contention for #2, my dotfiles are on their way to a git repository because `scp ~/.* <target>:.` is starting to copy too much stuff, and I use rsync for backups because I've had too many failures as a result of Time Machine. And I recently found xnomad, which uses some trickery to bring a dwm-like workflow to OS X window management……and it's lovely. I've been online since about 8 this morning, mostly surfing the web and working on a bit of c development for a class (conway's game of life for the gameboy advance). And I think I've touched my mouse a dozen times in 3 hours……all of it to interact with the reddit enhancement suite or youtube.
    </geekiness>

The only reason I use Apples is because I need a *nix-like back end and I need to run real audio software (SSL, Serato DJ, Pro Tools, Maschine). The only reason I use it as my primary OS is because only booting into OS X for music stuff would leave me pretty much helpless as to how to do anything nonstandard or fix things when stuff went wrong if I got used to linux again. But, I can remember linux well enough to use it as servers and dev boxes as long as I've got an okay walkthrough when I need to install a new one. And virtualizing linux on OS X doesn't break copyright laws while virtualizing OS X (non-Server) on linux does.

Frankly, Apple terrifies me. iTunes is probably the worst Application I use. I certainly fight with it more than anything else. Every new OS X release gives me a couple things I kind of want and a bunch of stuff that I have to turn off. At least their computers are good, even if they are a bit overpriced. But especially since Gatekeeper was announced, it scares the shit out of me that they're moving even further into their bullshit walled garden that has the potential to completely destroy open source development and–more importantly–the tinkerer's mindset that caused Apple to become a company in the first place. I've said before that I'd stop using computers for music before I went back to Windows. And I stand by that. But every time I see something about an Apple press release, I get afraid that it's announcing the end of my world with Apple and that it's going to start the clock ticking that will eventually mean me either spending something like $30,000 for a beginner-level hardware studio or giving up on electronic music entirely.

</soapbox>

My iPhones have always been broken. I have a tendency to just chuck them at something convenient when they piss me off. It happens often enough that it's only a matter of time until the screen cracks and I'm left looking through a spiderweb until AT&T tells me I can upgrade. The last time it happened, I went back to a 3Gs because I wasn't willing to pay more than a penny. And, frankly, jailbreaking them and installing a few things is the only way to make them even halfway usable for someone like me. It just takes too long to do anything. And most of what I install after jailbreaking them is just replicating native Android functionality.

Plus, apparently you can just copy media files to android phones, instead of having to use iTunes's bullshit database. I like databases. If I could just write something that did it, I'd do that. But its not worth the effort of reverse-engineering their DB functionality. Honestly, when I found that out, Android was 90% sold to me. The other 9% has to do with how much easier it is to write things for it and just put them on the phone as opposed to going through Apple to use a program on my on fucking device or technically breaking my contract with AT&T to do it.

A Nexus 4 solves basically all of those problems, including making me less scared that AT&T is going to cancel my contract with no warning.

Unless I'm missing something, it's pure win.

Dude, the nexus is one of the best phones you can get (only con=no extendable memmory) for the best price ever. The looks are good, the price is fabulous, the specs are incredible and android 4.2 is awesome!
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Plus, apparently you can just copy media files to android phones, instead of having to use iTunes's bullshit database. I like databases. If I could just write something that did it, I'd do that. But its not worth the effort of reverse-engineering their DB functionality. Honestly, when I found that out, Android was 90% sold to me. The other 9% has to do with how much easier it is to write things for it and just put them on the phone as opposed to going through Apple to use a program on my on fucking device or technically breaking my contract with AT&T to do it.

A Nexus 4 solves basically all of those problems, including making me less scared that AT&T is going to cancel my contract with no warning.

Unless I'm missing something, it's pure win.
    If you can code, you'll love not only Android, but especially a Nexus device. Coming from someone who doesn't know any coding, Nexus devices are so simple to gain FULL root functionality (Via Fastboot). Not only are the line of Nexus devices sold as Developers devices, but the fact that they are not branded by manufacturer or carrier cuts a lot of the middle man crap out (updates, restrictions, etc)!

The amount of development, developer support (for other end users) and Google support is outstanding and holds fairly true to the AOSP (Android Open Source Project) principle that Android was built on. I don't know if you've ventured to XDA-Developers, but that is the mecca of where you can find like-minded and development capable people.

Will we be seeing a Mostapha ROM soon?
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

You won't be seeing a rom. I'm not an OS hacker. Then again, I need to build up my gethub profile before I actually start looking for jobs. Then again, I don't really want to do mobile app/OS dev, though I could if I needed to. It depends on what's missing from the phone and how easy it is to install pieces to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    You won't be seeing a rom. I'm not an OS hacker. Then again, I need to build up my gethub profile before I actually start looking for jobs. Then again, I don't really want to do mobile app/OS dev, though I could if I needed to. It depends on what's missing from the phone and how easy it is to install pieces to fix it.
    Original Developed Android ROMs have been "Kanged" so many times. From what I've seen, as long as you're citing the originating dev. and asking for permission to use their base, its actually welcomed (in most cases). I've hung out on XDA enough to figure that most of the stuff on their isn't for the end user, but more for proof-of-concept (github), career building, or enjoyment.

The beauty of it is that you have that option, even if it was only for you to use.

Not trying to cheapen what you are studying or going for professionally, but look at this guy (also DJ's). He's posted some interesting stuff about app development. Granted its on the apple side of things, lol.
    http://www.facebook.com/treysmithblog?ref=ts&fref=ts
    http://www.treysmithblog.com/700000-per-day/

Yeah…that's kind of what I meant by "if I have to." But, there are 10,000 similar games out there for every one that makes anything resembling money. Who knows…it might work. I'm still pessimistic.

I'd rather aim for reasonable success at something I actually enjoy than throw all my eggs in that basket. Though if an idea hits me that seems like people might actually like, I'll be scrambling to get it together to finance the rest of my life and not worry about profit. I'm just so incredibly disconnected from anything that's hot right now (social media, most types of gaming, etc.) that it's entirely possible I've already had such an idea and threw it away as "ohmygodboring".

I would have passed on both Facebook and Twitter when they started. I got my facebook account in 2004, and I got bored with it after about a week. 8 years later and nothing's changed. Except that now I have something like 100 outstanding invites to events I wanted to go to but didn't see in time. The weird thing is that it's happened with personal friends that I actually talk to in person. Apparently not replying to their facebook invite means I don't want to hang out that day, not that they should tell me in person.

Hell, I was the best man at a wedding a few weeks ago. At some point while they were planning it, the groom asked me in person to reply to the facebook invite so they'd have an accurate count of people attending.

The wedding was on a cruise ship. I'd already paid for everything. And I was the best freaking man. But apparently that wasn't good enough, I had to click a button on facebook.

I really fucking hate social media.

Myspace was good for finding unsigned bands to play parties.
    Twitter is good for making fun of politicians.

I can't find much else that I actually care about in the whole god damned thing.

Sorry to hijack the thread. I'm kind of excited about the phone, but things have come up that just really piss me off………and I've been either sick or sleepless for several days.
    Last edited by mostapha; 11-21-2012 at 01:58 AM.

HAHA... I realized I was preaching to the choir. This is a pro-android thread . If anything I was trying to reiterate it to myself.

Social media is to society, as brostep is to EDM.... At least IMO.

Back on topic. GO ANDROID!!! Wooo Whoooo!!!

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Instant bans the next time Android is mentioned on this forum.

Happy thanksgiving.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Instant bans the next time Android is mentioned on this forum.
    I think my sarcasm detector is going off…………

Tech Mentor

I'm an APPLE fanatic, but the iPHONE just isn't enough device for me. I really do wish it were, tough. I use a RAZR MAXX with ICS. Honestly, if I won the lottery tomorrow, I wouldn't get a new phone. I use FOXFI (or you can root the thing and do it that way) every single gig to download music requests. And it's stable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12