Need advise for a september gig
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need advise for a september gig

Greetings from Guam my fellow DJ Tech Tool Fam.

I have a gig coming up in september. The party that is being thrown is trying to get these Kats here a deffrent outlook on music. What I mean by that is, the radio is the only source of music the people really get. Now they got the clubs, the dj's at these clubs are also the dj's for the three different radio stations they have here. Each station plays the same thing. Top 40 and some local reggae tunes.

Reggae, being an island, was really the back bone here. Top 40/Club hiphop is the mainstream. Although about 9 years house was pretty big. We are trying to not only bring back the house beats but also give them a diffrent outlook on music. Now I dont expect these guys to just drop the trendy. I do want them though, to be able injoy a "house" set folowing after a typical top 40 set.

This is not the first party that has been thrown. It is going into it's 7 gig now and each one seems to be getting better and better. How the slots are set, we open with some deep/tech house (something chill but up beat) move into the top 40 then at midnight we rock a peak live percussion house set IE.. Sax, bongo, live vocal (goes quit nice. the floor seems pretty steady at that point) After we drop another Top 40 for about an hour.

Then the issue. After the top 40 we do another house set (just beats). Now some dj's in the past play electro or something hard (er). and of course the dance floor slowly fades to the other room (radio music).

Now I do see the error in the type of music selected and also the error in the dj not playing to the crowd by changing it up. But it is already set and is known to be already set. That the slots are as follows Main Floor - House, Top40, Peak Set, Top 40 , House, Top40(or whatever) // Second room Top 40 all night. And with the slots set the main floor is pretty much packed all night.

So now with the senerio put fourth to my people. Heres my question.

I have the third house set. I want to do something to fuse the top40 and the house. I want tomething off the wall but not so crazy that they get scared (the people are not easy to change) I was looking at keeping the beats at around 120 to 130. Instead of the norm being 150. Some good Tribal, some funky TechHouse, and some............pleuuuuuuuuuu.*******

Suggestions please.
    "Music is the purest form of art... therefore true poets, they who are seers, seek to express the universe in terms of music... " "Music is your own experience, your own thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn. They teach you there's a boundary line to music. But, man, there's no boundary line to art." Quotes of wisdom...

Play Pitbull cuts, its top40ish but with a bangers twist on it. Also play all the hyphy eletro radio stuff. Kid Cudi - Day N Nite (Crookers), LMFAO - Im in Miami or Im a Not a Whore, Kayne West Love Lock Down (LMFAO), FM - Girls on The Dance Floor, Dj Clash - Im The Shit, and look online for eletro remixes of Lady GaGa, Kate Perry and so on. Also some Laidback Luke Remixes of Classic house will never fail. This keeps the people on the dance floor cuz its music that they are fimilar with.

Good Luck Brother.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

JesC your the man homie thanks.

yeah it looks like Im goin to have to go that way. It hurts my head to play some of those tho. But its not for me ya know. Laidback Luke DAMN man I never thought of that!!!!

see I'm also goin to have a Tanga/Bongo player so I would like to have some nice tribal in there also. Ya feel me.

thanks homie
    "Music is the purest form of art... therefore true poets, they who are seers, seek to express the universe in terms of music... " "Music is your own experience, your own thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn. They teach you there's a boundary line to music. But, man, there's no boundary line to art." Quotes of wisdom...

Quote Originally Posted by tomii View Post
    see I'm also goin to have a Tanga/Bongo player so I would like to have some nice tribal in there also. Ya feel me.
    that would be SICK over some oldskool benga/any other minimal dubstep
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

Try Michael Mind as well he has some old classics which are mixed to be some serious club tunes hes always fun to listen to if no one really knows or really cares to listen to electro / house tunes as they are songs they can sing along to but dance there ass off to lol
    Gear: Macbook Pro 13" , Traktor Scratch Pro, VCI-100 Arcade, PIONEER HDJ 2000, CDJ 400's, Audio 8, Midifighter

Nice! see that waht I'm talkin about guys............brain storming is the shit!!

just to let you know ive been all over the internet and just stumbled upon these sites

Crack4djs.net and ratedh.net

the first one is just an ass load of remixes of all types of hiphop tracks and the second is qite a few house/eclectro/tribal ect. remixes of hiphop and old school tracks.

Funky Vocals, Phat Bass
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Have you tried scrounging YouTube for club remixes of top40 tracks? That's quite a good way of playing phat chunes, without scaring people off!

Hit it if you haven't already

Tech Wizard

This sounds almost like what I am trying to do. There is no real dance music culture in the town where I work. My sets consist of most of the stuff suggested here. So far I have just been djing when the rock bands take breaks 30 minutes is not much of a set. This Thursday I start having my own night every Thursday. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Educate them, padre.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast