Help needed, Problems with Traktor Scratch Pro 2
    Tech Convert

Default Help needed, Problems with Traktor Scratch Pro 2

Hello everyone,

I have been having some issues with Traktor Scratch Pro 2 and have been researching/experimenting on fixing the problems but with little help. These issues have been messing up some of my gigs as well.

Here is what I've been experiencing:

1) BPM jumps around (back and forth) from 0.5 to 1.5% sometimes higher. I have tried calibrating the pitch on my turntables but it will continue to do this sometimes. Maybe need new turntables as my Technics are getting pretty old.

2) While a track is playing all of a sudden it will go into alvin and the chipmunks mode and play real fast. This happens randomly. I figure it to be a time code vinyl issue but after calibration of my vinyls (mk2) and even cleaning the vinyls and stylus this will still happen randomly.

3) The waveform freezes as the song continues to play and then the waveform continues to work at the relative spot which the track was playing in real time.

So far I have assessed these to be latency issues but my settings are set properly according to other threads and other trouble shooting guides to avoid such problems. I have also tried turning off bluetooth and wifi along with using the usb port that does not have a built in iSight as recommended by NIs knowledge base. From here I am not sure to increase or decrease latency to help alleviate this problem. Also the cpu usage meter stays relatively low when DJing and does not clip at all when these problems happen. I have tried an update but cannot run the most recent one since my laptop is old and the osx is not compatible. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I really am trying to avoid having to buy a new macbook and A6 interface.

I will also try: 1) better quality usb cable 2) new turntables

Here is an overview of my set up:

Regular Macbook (2009) OSX version 10.5.8
    2GHz processor speed
    2GB Memory 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    Bus speed 1.07 GHz
    TSP2 (from upgrade kit) version 2.1.2
    Audio 8 with driver version 2.4.23
    Sample rate set to 44100 Hz
    Latency set to 512
    Processing=11.6 ms
    output= 5.8 ms
    Overall= 17.4 ms

Technics 1200mk2s
    Numark M3 mixer
    40.64 GB left on my disk

I do scratch but do not do any heavy battle type scratching nor do i do any controlleristic/cue point juggling mixing.

Tech Guru

ive encountered strange glitched like that using mk2 timecode on cdjs so reverted back to mk1
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Tech Mentor

1 - you want stable BPM in the deck view setting if you're not using that setting already. I get about a .3 variation on the readout which is normal for TSP2 with TTs (you can't actually hear the pitch variation in the playback).
    Watch the dots on your TTs, if they're steady and consistent then they're fine. Jerky or inconsistent dots would indicate a problem there.

I think 2 and 3 are Windows and Traktor version related. Traktor installs each version side by side to enable you to try different versions of the software without effecting previous versions so I'd try versions 2.1.3, 2.5.1 and 2.6 if you've got the HDD space.

Up the latency for better stability. Set it high and test 1st, then if it works better you can keep reducing it 'til it fails again and increase it a little again to it's lowest stable setting.

Have you done the power management optimizations? You want all that malarky switched off for best performance.

As for the random speedups, that's mostly new to mk2 timecode media. I found it happened with a lot of dust stuck to my styli and/or a filthy spot on the vinyl, but much less since updating to 2.5.1. I'm considering stocking up on mk1 vinyl - that glitch is one more reason to stop bringing the laptop to gigs and to just burn cds/bring more vinyl.

Tech Convert

sweet thanks everyone so far this is great feedback. So now i will try:
    1) MK1 vinyls
    2) Increasing my latency
    3) Try version 2.1.3 or 2.5.1 (My mac is too old to run 2.6)

I will try these out on my next day off and keep you all updated on what happens

Tech Convert

oh and yeah i do have the stable bpm selected. It only jumps on certain songs im guessing this is probably the time code vinyls again?

Tech Mentor

I knew I was doing something wrong when I wrote that but couldn't see it for looking at it lol
    Note to self - OSX!!!

I didn't realize you had MK1 timecodes too. Add 2.0.3 to the list to try as well then m8.
    I'd start with 2.0.3 tbh, it's not got the remix decks or MK2 timecode support but it was the best early TSP2 version for me.

Tech Convert

i had that problem with tsp but for some reason still cant figure it out i have mk1 vinyls and new ortofon pro but when it goes into chipmunk status i just hit the sync and it goes back to normal.
    Gemini PT-2000 direct drive turntables(x2), Gemini CDJ-650 (x2) ,Behringer DDM4000 4ch mixer
    Pioneer EFX-500, Native-Instruments Audio 8, macbook pro 15 in 2011 model , tsp pro 2.6
    numark gt with stanton/vestax headshells, ortofon pro s with no name vestax headshells
    Beats Studio primary headphones

Tech Convert

sorry for the late reply. So i have tried first reverting back to my mk1 time codes and have used them for a 3hr gig recently along with small practice sessions prior to that. It seems as if this has been the solution for the chipmunk mode. The bpm still jumps around from time to time and the lag issue still happens but intermittently. I tried to upgrade my version of tsp but was not allowed to down load it due to having an older mac (osx 10.5.8)

Although my cpu meter stays low on tsp. I wonder if i can get rid of some applications (garage band, iMovie) if can help alleviate any hard drive space issues. I'm sure if I upgrade my HD and ram this would help and only cost around 200 bucks. If anyone knows of other helpful tips of making a mac run faster (which could help out my tsp probs) let me know before i attempt to open my mac up.

Thanks