Traktor 2.6 issues with MK2 vinyl

Default Traktor 2.6 issues with MK2 vinyl

Hi everyone. I've been using vinyl MK1 timecode for years now with traktor, and recently I switched over to MK2 because I sold one of my mixers and included the MK1 timecode. Ever since I made the switch it's been impossible to use the MK2 timecode to control Traktor. The tracks keep skipping very frequently as well as randomly speeding up, and the vinyl emulation feels really laggy. Also when I completely stop the record it takes about a second or two before the timecode realizes that the turntable has stopped. There's no issues with sound quality, etc. I make sure my needles are clean and everything so I know the turntables and needles aren't the issue. I've never experienced these issues with my MK1 timecode vinyls, even when they were dirty and grimy, so I find it very strange that I would be running into this issue with my brand new MK2 vinyls.

Can anyone shed some light on the issue?

My setup is OSX 10.8
    Traktor 2.6
    Macbook Pro 2009 13' with 4gb of ram

I'm using an Audio 4 DJ sound interface with a pair of Shure M44-7 needles.

To be honest I've been so busy at work that I haven't had time to fully investigate the problem. I've been rammed with gigs and it's basically a rush to get from work to the gig then sleep. rinse. repeat. Having said that, I suspect it may be an issue with latency, although I've never had issues with latency before. Needles to say I can't be having my timecode constantly skipping and speeding up on me. I'm just worried as the past few nights of gigs have been such a nightmare (with regards to my workflow, not actual train wrecks.) I've been having to do all my mixing using just my X1 and the club's mixer, while perfectly good Tech12s sit idle because the timecode is not funcitoning properly.

NOTe: this only happens with MK2 vinyl timecode, not MK2 CD timecode.

Thanks in advance!

Brandon
    My Mixcloud Page!
    Macbook Pro 13", Kontrol Z2, Kontrol F1, Kontrol X1, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-850, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-400, Traktor Scratch Pro, Audio 4 DJ.

Tech Wizard

any possibility for a grounding-problem on TT's?

Quote Originally Posted by Geek View Post
    any possibility for a grounding-problem on TT's?
    Thanks for the reply Geek. I don't believe it is the grinding that is causing this issue because I've used these TTs before with the same setup and MK1 timecode vinyls and it worked.
    My Mixcloud Page!
    Macbook Pro 13", Kontrol Z2, Kontrol F1, Kontrol X1, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-850, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-400, Traktor Scratch Pro, Audio 4 DJ.

It ended up being the vinyl. Even though it was fresh brand new from the packaging there must have been some type of residue left on it. I cleaned them with some old vinyl record cleaner solution that my dad had laying around. There wasn't hardly any gunk that came off, but when I tested them afterwards with traktor they didn't skip at all and worked perfectly. The pitch speed was even more constant than my previous MK1s.

Hope this helps for future issues people have.
    My Mixcloud Page!

I was just about to say it might be gunk on the vinyl and to use some vinyl record cleaner solution, that maybe your old man might have lying around.