Controllers' question and CDJ's
    Tech Convert

Default Controllers' question and CDJ's

Hi guys,

I know this question has been asked many times in many different forums and I can assure you I read most of them.
    But my question is a bit different: I have been djing for a while in a numark mixtrack pro and now I would like to upgrade my gear.
    My ultimate goal would be to dj in CDJ's since they are sort of club standard.
    I am torn between these controllers:
    Kontrol S4
    Pioneer DDJ-T1
    Denon MC-6000
    Xone:4D

The Kontrol S4 attracts me because it is really successful and many people recommend it.
    The DDJ-T1 is also a choice because its layout is very similar to CDJ's + mixer.
    MC-6000 and Xone:4D seem great because they can be used as a standalone mixer in case I decide to buy a pair of CDJ's afterwards and then they could be used a mixer.

Another option however more expensive would be to buy a pair of CDJ-350's + DJM 350.

Thank you very much!
    Last edited by guigao; 11-16-2012 at 05:40 AM.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

If you are defienly wanting to go down the CDJ route in the future You could consider the XDJ-Aero or DDJ-SX

The Aero has a similar layout to CDJ's AND the same software (rekordbox) as CDJ's so you wouldn't need to do anything differently when planning a set You also don't need to worry about having a laptop plugged in as you can use it standalone with USB sticks or Tablet which is pretty cool.

The SX uses Serato so you'll need a Serato sound card for playing in a club, but would also be a good choice.

The DDJ-T1 would be an option as well, as with the SX you will need a NI soundcard to use Trakor with CDJ's at a gig though.

The rest of the options you mentioned are not going to be great stepping stones to CDJ's as they are going to require you use the laptop and different softwares, which will (probably) not transfer well to playing a gig with CDJ's in the future - learning the functions on the other controllers will be more useful than the current mixtrack you already have.

In other notes, don't expect to just follow someone elses style based on the equipment you or they use, i'm pretty sure carl cox could rock it on 2 ipods given a chance.

Concentrate on getting the basics down 100%. It will take time, alot of time and practice ... the rest will follow

I think you need to consider whats most important to you right now... CDJ's or Software or just new shiny stuff.
    Last edited by deevey; 11-15-2012 at 02:03 PM.

Tech Mentor

I guess it all depends on your needs.. what software do you want to work in? Traktor? Serato (SSL? DJ? ITCH?), How many decks? Do you need PRO options? Like XLR , Booth out etc? TBQH , the S4/S2 feel cheap and plasticy. Small jogs, crappy pots for the EQ's etc.. but you are not going to find a controller with tighter integration with Traktor than the S2/S4's. If you are looking to get into Serato, I have the Pioneer DDJ-SX , and it is def an upgrade to the Pioenner T1, but again, it is Serato.

PS - Find your own style!

Tech Mentor

Kontrol Z2 mixer and a pair of used CDJ-800's... $1400 and you're set.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | (2) Pioneer CDJ-2000 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    MacBook Pro | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | (2) EV ELX115P | EV ELX112P | (2) EV ELX118P

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    If you are defienly wanting to go down the CDJ route in the future You could consider the XDJ-Aero or DDJ-SX

The Aero has a similar layout to CDJ's AND the same software (rekordbox) as CDJ's so you wouldn't need to do anything differently when planning a set You also don't need to worry about having a laptop plugged in as you can use it standalone with USB sticks or Tablet which is pretty cool.

The SX uses Serato so you'll need a Serato sound card for playing in a club, but would also be a good choice.

The DDJ-T1 would be an option as well, as with the SX you will need a NI soundcard to use Trakor with CDJ's at a gig though.

The rest of the options you mentioned are not going to be great stepping stones to CDJ's as they are going to require you use the laptop and different softwares, which will (probably) not transfer well to playing a gig with CDJ's in the future - learning the functions on the other controllers will be more useful than the current mixtrack you already have.

In other notes, don't expect to just follow someone elses style based on the equipment you or they use, i'm pretty sure carl cox could rock it on 2 ipods given a chance.

Concentrate on getting the basics down 100%. It will take time, alot of time and practice ... the rest will follow

I think you need to consider whats most important to you right now... CDJ's or Software or just new shiny stuff.
    Hi deevey, Thanks for the suggestions!

The XDJ-Aero seems a very nice choice for what I want but the only thing I don't like in it is the fact it is only 2-channel mixer. I am also not sure if the wireless technology would be reliable but that is a minor problem.
    I really liked the DDJ-SX the problem is that it is requires a laptop and it uses Serato and I am more sort of a Traktor guy even though you can map it to Traktor.

Now I am more leaned towards the XDJ-Aero.

Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by NewManSoon View Post
    I guess it all depends on your needs.. what software do you want to work in? Traktor? Serato (SSL? DJ? ITCH?), How many decks? Do you need PRO options? Like XLR , Booth out etc? TBQH , the S4/S2 feel cheap and plasticy. Small jogs, crappy pots for the EQ's etc.. but you are not going to find a controller with tighter integration with Traktor than the S2/S4's. If you are looking to get into Serato, I have the Pioneer DDJ-SX , and it is def an upgrade to the Pioenner T1, but again, it is Serato.

PS - Find your own style!
    Hi NewManSoon, thank you for the suggestions!

Sorry I was not very clear on my post but I am trying to look for something that would not need a laptop because that would be more similar to djing in CDJ's.
    The DDJ-SX looks like an amazing controller but it uses Serato and still requires a laptop.
    I don't think I particularly need those options you listed like XLR and Booth out.
    Just one more thing, what I meant when I mentioned Carl Cox was that I really like the music he does and I believe a DJ should make the music he loves so I would like to play similar music to him. My sentence was not very clear.

Thank you very much again!

Quote Originally Posted by brocklambert View Post
    Kontrol Z2 mixer and a pair of used CDJ-800's... $1400 and you're set.
    Hi brocklambert,

I couldn't find CDJ-800's in the stores here in the UK but I found some in Ebay for around 350 pounds each which is not that expensive. An used Z2 is also alright in terms of price.
    What would be the advantages of a Kontrol Z2 over say a Pioneer entry-level mixer, like a DJM-400?

Thank you very much!