New DJ have s4 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New DJ have s4

Tech Convert

How do i get the mic working on deck c or d? i have deck d on live input and the back is set to line and usb, but the volume of the mic is very low.

uhh out of curiousity why would you want the mic playing through a specific channel?
    The reason i ask this is because if your mic is on D (right side)
    and you are playing something on A or C, you wont hear the mic.
    same goes for the reverse

Also, shouldnt you want your mic to be able to overlay ANY deck that is playing?
    i mean you are using S4 right?

and yuo didnt say anything about using Kontrol for S4 so its not like you have your mic actually PLUGGED into anything but a MIXER.

what is your mic plugged into now? (not where..... what)

Quote Originally Posted by antifmradio View Post
    uhh out of curiousity why would you want the mic playing through a specific channel?
    The reason i ask this is because if your mic is on D (right side)
    and you are playing something on A or C, you wont hear the mic.
    same goes for the reverse
    That's not necessarily true. I have decks C and D on my S4 set up to ignore the crossfader, it's easy to do. If I recall correctly, I think you just hold down shift and hit the FX 1 or 2 button for that deck. You could set up A, C, and D to be on the left and B on the right, you could reverse them if you wanted, you can do whatever you prefer.
    ------------------
    DJ Twisted Panda
    http://twistedpanda.com @jeremysexton
    Gear: Kontrol S4, Kontrol F1, MidiFighter, iPad running Lemur

Tech Convert

My mic is plugged into the back of the s4. I don't know how to get it to work unless I turn a channel into a live output. What other configuration can I do?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Moif View Post
    Personally, I don't there's much point in teaching someone who makes use of the sync button the finer points of beatmatching. In a perfect world that person will have access to actual turntables and we can advise them to knuckle down and learn the proper way. But in this day and age that's not such a viable suggestion

As an S2 owner (and having been DJing in one form or another for the last 20 years) I would suggest learning your software and your controller inside out. Get all of your tunes properly gridded, set your load markers, listen to your tunes and get your cue points set. If necessary, remap the S4 to get cue points 5-8 working or buy an X1. Set your quantize and get familiar with the effects available to you - you'll soon start to realise that some are more useful than others. Finally, use the remix decks, buy an F1 and learn how they all work together.

Once you're set up, start engaging your imagination and get busy remixing and making mashups on the fly. Get your hands on acapellas, use free software to edit your tunes and get a library on the go.

You're then on the right path to evolving from a DJ to a performance artist.

IMO of course
    ^+1 to this.

I really dont get what the point of trying to teach someone who is using a controller, how to mix like they are on vinyl...it is totally counter productive and really a waste of time.

If the guy only has a controller, then he should be learning how to expand his usage of that controller...not trying to learn how to mix like he is using vinyl. If and when he gets turntables....then he can utilize other skill sets and learn how to beatmix normally on Wax.

With the evolution of CDJs and whatnot...you can CLEARLY see that the industry is moving away from the ancient art of Beatmatching. Not saying i dont....hell i can mix on TT, CDJS and Controllers. But look at the whole new line of Pioneer products...they are aiming to be more expressive and not learning how to match thump and thump so both thumps go thump together (sneer intended)

Riding Wax and riding CDJS are so different and the feeel and groove that i get are really different. While today there isnt really much difference between CDJs and Controllers.

IMO take the time to learn EVERYTHING about your medium...then move on to the next medium and learn everything about that one.
    Kontrol S4-Novation Launch Pad-MF Pro BM-Traktor Pro 2-KRKRP8/KRK10-Windows 7 64 Bit-Toshiba A660

I dont care if you use 2 ipads...2 cassette tapes...or a washboard and a wooden spoon...if you rock it, you rock it.

Tech Mentor

The mike only works via Channel D. If you use Scratch and timecode the signal wont works as long as a mike is plugged in, you dont even need to be using the mic, as long as its plugged in 'D' is out for timecode.

Sorry, probably not a brilliant explanation - worth looking at the Traktor Bible youtube channel for a more concise and far better explanation..

Tech Convert

Another thing guys, what do you guys do to take curse words out of the song while djing? I was thinking putting a little backspin on the opposite deck and lowering the volume to the deck playing the song with the curse word. Would that be effective?

I don't but a few ideas if I did need to.....

Beat mash
    Spin back in flux mode
    Reverse pull in flux mode

MMM
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMoleyMole View Post
    I don't but a few ideas if I did need to.....

Beat mash
    Spin back in flux mode
    Reverse pull in flux mode

MMM

When I click the drop down arrow on my deck channels it doesn't have flux mode. I only have the 3 modes live sample and track.

Have you updated to 2.6?
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast