New DJ have s4
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New DJ have s4

Tech Convert

Exclamation New DJ have s4

I have been djing for a little while, like a couple months. Bought the s4 and I love it. I need help to become a better DJ. All I do is just beat match by using the sync button and just use cross fader to change into the next song. I'm not Going to lie and I want to see what you guys think I should do. So tips on how to practice. Thank you guys look forward to learning. Something cool also my college offers a DJ class and it's accredited maybe I'll take it next semester for fun.
    Last edited by evilsher; 11-15-2012 at 07:27 PM.

Tech Mentor

Stop using sync, and stop using the crossfader. Best 2 things you can do to learn the basics.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | (2) Pioneer CDJ-2000 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    MacBook Pro | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | (2) EV ELX115P | EV ELX112P | (2) EV ELX118P

YouTube tutorials, check out ellaskins. He's mental but has a lot of good advice. Next step is phrase matching and EQing.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    YouTube tutorials, check out ellaskins. He's mental but has a lot of good advice. Next step is phrase matching and EQing.
    Along with EQing and Vocal matching try beat matching by ear, using effects to create buildups to mix into other songs for starters, and simply practice practice practice will take you far!
    Best of luck and have fun!

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    What do you mean by phrase matching? I add eq but just whenever, I don't know how to build drops or anything. Well I'm about to go on YouTube then practice after class!

Oh and im getting the ni flight case for $55

M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

Tech Convert

I watched a couple of his other videos very informative.

one of the biggest issues old djs have with new djs coming into the scene is, with the new technology, its really easy for a new dj to SOUND like they have been playing for a little while
    That aside, why not start to learn the basics the same way we older djs have.

Here is one example on how to do it with new technology and forcing yourself to learn an old skill

evilsher
    try this. Take a couple tracks
    load them into Traktor
    dont look at them
    dont notice the BPM (infact set traktor to NOT show you that BPM information)

TUrn off your monitor (speakers)
    and do this completely in your headphones.

Start one track
    wait for what you think is the right timing, and start the next track
    Really try and cue it up and blend it in.

While both tracks are playing, really try and eq the tracks back and forth

when you get that good and done (should take a couple days)
    then go at it again and try setting loops on the fly

DO NOT use the snap feature. If you REALLY want to get good at noticing beat marks in your music
    turn off SNAP, and QUANTIZE

again, still not looking at yuor screen

If yuo are on a laptop, push the lid down a bit so you CANT see the screen

With the software set to do most of the hard basic work, youll NEVER learn the basics so this is a way to force yourself to learn them.
    As long as you keep making mistakes with it, youll learn what , and when you need to do this to get your sound really good.

Hope that helps you man
    If you need more advice on this level, take a min and hit me up.

Tech Convert

i defiantly will the couple gigs i did werent bad, but i just wasnt happy with my performance. I will do what you told me though and i have been watching the dj tutor videos.

Quote Originally Posted by antifmradio View Post
    one of the biggest issues old djs have with new djs coming into the scene is, with the new technology, its really easy for a new dj to SOUND like they have been playing for a little while
    That aside, why not start to learn the basics the same way we older djs have.

Here is one example on how to do it with new technology and forcing yourself to learn an old skill

evilsher
    try this. Take a couple tracks
    load them into Traktor
    dont look at them
    dont notice the BPM (infact set traktor to NOT show you that BPM information)

TUrn off your monitor (speakers)
    and do this completely in your headphones.

Start one track
    wait for what you think is the right timing, and start the next track
    Really try and cue it up and blend it in.

While both tracks are playing, really try and eq the tracks back and forth

when you get that good and done (should take a couple days)
    then go at it again and try setting loops on the fly

DO NOT use the snap feature. If you REALLY want to get good at noticing beat marks in your music
    turn off SNAP, and QUANTIZE

again, still not looking at yuor screen

If yuo are on a laptop, push the lid down a bit so you CANT see the screen

With the software set to do most of the hard basic work, youll NEVER learn the basics so this is a way to force yourself to learn them.
    As long as you keep making mistakes with it, youll learn what , and when you need to do this to get your sound really good.

Hope that helps you man
    If you need more advice on this level, take a min and hit me up.

Personally, I don't there's much point in teaching someone who makes use of the sync button the finer points of beatmatching. In a perfect world that person will have access to actual turntables and we can advise them to knuckle down and learn the proper way. But in this day and age that's not such a viable suggestion

As an S2 owner (and having been DJing in one form or another for the last 20 years) I would suggest learning your software and your controller inside out. Get all of your tunes properly gridded, set your load markers, listen to your tunes and get your cue points set. If necessary, remap the S4 to get cue points 5-8 working or buy an X1. Set your quantize and get familiar with the effects available to you - you'll soon start to realise that some are more useful than others. Finally, use the remix decks, buy an F1 and learn how they all work together.

Once you're set up, start engaging your imagination and get busy remixing and making mashups on the fly. Get your hands on acapellas, use free software to edit your tunes and get a library on the go.

You're then on the right path to evolving from a DJ to a performance artist.

IMO of course

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast