Practice Sets?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Practice Sets?

Tech Wizard

Default Practice Sets?

I am guessing this has been asked/answered before, but I am having a hard time confirming such -

I am wondering about good "practice sets" - I can find a lot of good information on the importance of practice, how to practice, techniques, etc. But no practice set lists to work from!

I recognize that an very important part of DJing is song selection, but that is just one skill that actually needs to build as a set with the technical tools, so having a prebuilt setlist from a knoweldgable DJ to practice other skills would help understand how songs work together, and then thus build the song selection skill?

I guess I am looking for a bit of a kickstart tool - do any such lists exist? Or would experienced DJs here be willing to contribute such?

I would also see it as valuable if there were some sets that were all freely avaliable tunes (free demos/soundcloud/etc) as well as purchasable tune lists. (myself, I would probably take advantage of both)

Sorry, but this must be the most bizarre question I've seen around here....and there's many bizarre ones...
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Tech Mentor

So you want to replicate someone else's set?

Pick some music YOU like and mix away.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | (2) Pioneer CDJ-2000 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    MacBook Pro | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | (2) EV ELX115P | EV ELX112P | (2) EV ELX118P

You can look for a Beatport mix or a continuous mix on a CD you like. Then have a look at the song list and if you like, try to recreate the mix to understand how it was mixed.
    I personally started with mixing my favorite tunes aiming at a transition as smooth as possible though.
    The NI trio - Traktor Kontrol S4 - Maschine - Komplete - and some more gear...

well to answer your queston find a dj you really like and check for his playlist or set list.... choose songs from that list with similar bpm and sounds like that would go good together and full versions of songs with a nice 32 bar intro. learn your phrasing and beatmatching. understand some songs just don't go well together and you can't mix them in instead you have to just cut on the 1. learn the 32 bar phrasing and start mixing outro's over intro's. Practice and Enjoy!!!

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by 3heads View Post
    Sorry, but this must be the most bizarre question I've seen around here....and there's many bizarre ones...
    Really? You just turned this from the one of the friendliest appearing forums on the net to one of the most obnoxious. Good job.

But really - I do a lot of things other than "DJing", and in all, practice and learning from others is the key. For example, I fly areobatic model airplanes. There are lots of training videos, descriptions, etc of how to do specific manuvers - barrel roll, illemean, flat spin, etc.. and it is possible to master a single one.. but you also need to know how to set up your plane, what kind of plane works for a particular type of move, and more importantly how to string those moves together into an effective competition sequence. There are ALSO experienced pilots who share or explain sequences for lesser experienced to learn from.
    Quote Originally Posted by brocklambert View Post
    So you want to replicate someone else's set?
    At first, to learn, ABSOLUTELY! A great way to learn anything is to replicate someone elses efforts, then when you master that, you extend it with your own "flavor:.

Ean Golden even does it here on this site - this is a great example
    http://www.djtechtools.com/2012/06/1...erism-routine/

Not only shows the technique, but gives you the tracks to try it out. Using the same tracks lets you "play along" to learn, then later, apply the same technique that you now understand to some other tracks

Quote Originally Posted by brocklambert View Post
    Pick some music YOU like and mix away.
    Of course - but some practice will make THAT much easier! You dont learn to sing with originals, you dont learn guitar with originals.. etc..

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by RockingClub View Post
    You can look for a Beatport mix or a continuous mix on a CD you like. Then have a look at the song list and if you like, try to recreate the mix to understand how it was mixed.
    I personally started with mixing my favorite tunes aiming at a transition as smooth as possible though.
    Quote Originally Posted by P4ULSON View Post
    well to answer your queston find a dj you really like and check for his playlist or set list.... choose songs from that list with similar bpm and sounds like that would go good together and full versions of songs with a nice 32 bar intro. learn your phrasing and beatmatching. understand some songs just don't go well together and you can't mix them in instead you have to just cut on the 1. learn the 32 bar phrasing and start mixing outro's over intro's. Practice and Enjoy!!!
    Both good suggestions, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DocFish View Post
    Really? You just turned this from the one of the friendliest appearing forums on the net to one of the most obnoxious. Good job.

But really - I do a lot of things other than "DJing", and in all, practice and learning from others is the key. For example, I fly areobatic model airplanes. There are lots of training videos, descriptions, etc of how to do specific manuvers - barrel roll, illemean, flat spin, etc.. and it is possible to master a single one.. but you also need to know how to set up your plane, what kind of plane works for a particular type of move, and more importantly how to string those moves together into an effective competition sequence. There are ALSO experienced pilots who share or explain sequences for lesser experienced to learn from.

At first, to learn, ABSOLUTELY! A great way to learn anything is to replicate someone elses efforts, then when you master that, you extend it with your own "flavor:.
    Most people are rattled by your post because the number one thing people tell a new dj is to be working on song selection. If you were to produce then yes taking someones full set and seeing what they did makes sense. But mixing song a into song b is 80% selection and 20% mix

Wowee broski. Double post

I put up full track listings on my soundcloud, feel free to give my last mix a listen get the tracks and have it, PM if you have a question with the time marker and I will try and give an answer.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast