Recording Vinyl using Traktor
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Recording Vinyl using Traktor

I just got a hold of Traktor Scratch Pro and I was told I can record my vinyl collection and then convert to mp3's. Any advice on how to do this? Thanks!

What hardware are you using?
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Download Audacity (free)

Plug in your Traktor Soundcard + Turntable

Open Audacity and select the respective sound card input (one your turntable is connected to) as record.

Press record > Play Track > Press Stop.

Export as Wav somewhere!

Now you can do one of two things..

1. Throw all your Files into an itunes playlist, highlight them and use the "Convert to MP3" function

2. Do a "Batch Process" and export the entire folders contents in Audacity as mp3 (file menu).

You might wonder why I'm suggesting you just save as Wav first and not export as MP3.

1. To save the highest quality file as a backup for the future.
    2. You can run a batch to convert everything to mp3 overnight or when you are away from the computer.

BTW I'd suggest checking out if any of your vinyl tracks are already available as mp3's, I don't know what your time is worth but I do know that a Vinyl ripping is seriously time consuming and I wouldn't bother except the tracks are totally unavailable from a 99c online store e.g. itunes / amazon

E.g. 10 regular vinyl recordings = Appx 1.5 hours to rip + computer down time converting to mp3/aac.

1 hour of my time is worth more than the $10 I'll spend buying the same tracks pre-ripped (and probably better quality) from itunes.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by OmniRoss View Post
    What hardware are you using?
    It looks like deevey brought up a great suggestion. Downloading "Audacity". I by the way thought I could do this with just Traktor Pro and 2 turntables but I guess I was wrong.

Thanks OmniRoss.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Download Audacity (free)

Plug in your Traktor Soundcard + Turntable

Open Audacity and select the respective sound card input (one your turntable is connected to) as record.

Press record > Play Track > Press Stop.

Export as Wav somewhere!

Now you can do one of two things..

1. Throw all your Files into an itunes playlist, highlight them and use the "Convert to MP3" function

2. Do a "Batch Process" and export the entire folders contents in Audacity as mp3 (file menu).

You might wonder why I'm suggesting you just save as Wav first and not export as MP3.

1. To save the highest quality file as a backup for the future.
    2. You can run a batch to convert everything to mp3 overnight or when you are away from the computer.

BTW I'd suggest checking out if any of your vinyl tracks are already available as mp3's, I don't know what your time is worth but I do know that a Vinyl ripping is seriously time consuming and I wouldn't bother except the tracks are totally unavailable from a 99c online store e.g. itunes / amazon

E.g. 10 regular vinyl recordings = Appx 1.5 hours to rip + computer down time converting to mp3/aac.

1 hour of my time is worth more than the $10 I'll spend buying the same tracks pre-ripped (and probably better quality) from itunes.
    Thanks for the reply and advice. And you're right! It makes more sense to just spend $0.99 per track than to spend all that time ripping vinyl. I thought I'd be able to do all this with just Traktor and 2 turntables. I'll keep Audacity in mind just in case.

Thanks again deevey!

Quote Originally Posted by razmusic View Post
    It looks like deevey brought up a great suggestion. Downloading "Audacity". I by the way thought I could do this with just Traktor Pro and 2 turntables but I guess I was wrong.

Thanks OmniRoss.
    You can do it just with Traktor, just for reference.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

You can do it just with Traktor, just for reference.
    Quite right you are. I just don't trust Traktors "coloring" of the Audio signal.

You'll also need to slice everything afterwards anyhow though.

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Quite right you are. I just don't trust Traktors "coloring" of the Audio signal.

You'll also need to slice everything afterwards anyhow though.
    I doubt there is any colouring if the eq is flat and fx are off

I hear you on slice up anyway though
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    I doubt there is any colouring if the eq is flat and fx are off

I hear you on slice up anyway though
    And auto gain is off...

And auto gain is off...
    Not sure auto gain is a factor with line inputs... maybe tho yeah
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast