iZotope Ozone 4. When, where and how much?
    Tech Convert

Default iZotope Ozone 4. When, where and how much?

When do you use the iZotope Ozone plugin? While you are engineering a track or when you've completed it? Do you usually throw it on the master channel? What preset do you use and what loudness amplitude?

Sorry for all the questions. Been using this for a while but curious to see if I'm doing it wrong. A friend told me I should never have it on my master WHILE producing cause it messes you up.

You can use it on individual tracks if you want the EQ or other tools. But you don't master each track.

For actually mastering, you want to do a mixdown, which is adjusting all the levels. Then bounce that out to a single stereo file, bring that file into a new project, then put Ozone on the master. If you find there are things you can't fix or things change after the master, you can go back and do a new mixdown. But generally you want to separate the two.

So basically, mixdown all your tracks so the levels are perfect. Then bounce the completed track out to a new WAV file, and master that file by itself with Ozone.

I use Ozone 5, so not sure what 4 is like, but I assume it all works the same.

yeah you can use it on individual tracks, but it's very CPU intensive so i would recommend using it sparingly. I normally only use it for the stereo widening effect if im using it for individual tracks.

Tech Convert

Solid responses. Thank you.

So it's true. The only time I use Ozone has to be after I do mixdown and export. I used to have it on my master all the time even while I'm producing the record. Guess it was a big mistake, huh. Will take it off.

Oh, stay away from presets too and actually learnt to program it yourself. Isn't too hard to get a basic knowledge of the program ;-)

Tech Wizard

Default up to you

Quote Originally Posted by andski View Post
    Solid responses. Thank you.

So it's true. The only time I use Ozone has to be after I do mixdown and export. I used to have it on my master all the time even while I'm producing the record. Guess it was a big mistake, huh. Will take it off.
    I think it's up to you. have you noticed yourself any problems using ozone while producing?

I swear I saw an "in the studio with" or similar where they advised putting ozone on the Master channel so you could hear a more realistic sound of what the final output would be when you were designing / tuning your instruments and how they work together.

In this situation you'd want to just be using ozone as a limiter and mix gelling compressor.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by elliot1106 View Post
    Oh, stay away from presets too and actually learnt to program it yourself. Isn't too hard to get a basic knowledge of the program ;-)
    Do you know any solid tutorial?

Tech Convert

http://www.ps139.com/vs880ex/pages/O...eringGuide.pdf

Here's a little guide written by Ozone.