How do you setup vocal shots/DJ tools?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do you setup vocal shots/DJ tools?

Yo!
    I'm putting the pieces together for my first DJ set and while listening to Loo & Placido's new Popstar Killers mashup mix (http://blogs.myspace.com/looandplacido) I realized that I want to integrate vocal shots into my sets but while listening to the options (hundreds of WOO YEAH GO TURN IT UP) I realized I need some structure while still not limiting myself to 4 shots and 4 buttons...

so how do you do it? If you're wondering, I'm using the VCI100 and a Trigger Finger as controllers

I'm thinking using deck C and D for mapping the shots to buttons on my trigger finger but I fear using 8 sounds during a whole set might be a little... little?

Thoughts?

why just 8??

i would make a mp3 out of your favourite vocal shots, set cue points and put them on deck c/d. with this you got already 16 samples..

yeah, sounds good! - you wouldnt need more than that i'd hope.. might be a bit overkill otherwise

oooh I just thought - you could use some sort of sample software perhaps? or a standalone vst alongside traktor (behind it obv..) then you could use the trig finger to control that outside of traktor. Then you're not dedicating two tracks to vocal shot samples, and it would be easier to interchange them, without having to redo an mp3 each time and remap them etc etc

just a thought anyone know of any such sampling software?

Tech Guru

i mentioned the recently released os x app soundboard in another app.
    its MIDI controllable and they told me they are looking into adding MIDI clock sync.
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Tech Mentor

I do the same sort of thing when I DJ, and I use the same gear as you even. Basically whenever I hear a clip from a song that would make a great vocal or general addition to anything else, I'll set a cue point there and just remember it. I also have a playlist of songs just for this kinda stuff.

So when I'm DJing, I can just load up that track in whatever deck and just hit my cue/play button to launch the clip.

Tech Guru

i wonder if its possible to have some midi assigned button to reassign hotcues so that you could step through all possible 32 cue points in sets of 8 (or even just 4).
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Tech Mentor

You could use a modifier, but it'd get tricky to remember where you are without some sort of visual feedback.

Better might be, put together mp3s of your favorite one shots so you have eight samples of a similar style together. Whenever you need a different sample just load up the respective mp3.

yup. custom MP3s (usually made in Audacity, but I use Reason if I need a specific tempo) with cue points or loops set, then a playlist so they're easy to find.

Tech Mentor

use ableton or whatever to build an MP3. load it up. you probably wont be throwing sample after sample after sample. so just set cues and use like cue/play or whatever to trigger them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast