Need advice on DJ setup for noob DJ. - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tech Wizard

You can get an s2 for about 250 to 350 off ebay, and alot of them come with bags and such. I'm in the market for one or an s4, so I'm like glued to ebay looking for deals. and I also have a very tight budget. And check out the newegg black friday deals I saw some good deals on laptops.

he might not know what newegg is so.... www.newegg.com
    Very trustworthy site

Quote Originally Posted by antifmradio View Post
    in his price range?
    i dont have it on the screen right now but i was thinking he can only spend about a couple hundred

You are talking about an $800 bit in the pocket for this pour guy.
    i saw it for $400 so i figure it be a great investment

Quote Originally Posted by P4ULSON View Post
    i saw it for $400 so i figure it be a great investment
    hellz yea thats a good price.... just hope he's got the bodie-o-doe for it lol

Tech Wizard

Ill definitely recommend the Novation Twitch, it was or is my first DJ controller and i really love it! Or if you can afford, buy the new controller from Pioneer, or then Vestax VCI-380. They both seem pretty nice
    My Latest Mix | https://soundcloud.com/limbou
    Be sure to follow me on Soundcloud I'll follow back!

An s2. Comes with traktor.

Cheap headphones, like in ear sennheisers maybe... and cheap speakers, even iPod dock whatever.

Basic laptop with spec that matches min requirements.

2nd hand mac book ideally
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Wizard

I know you're on a tight budget, but one of the best bits advice I got about djing when it came to purchasing was: buy cheap, buy twice. The cheaper/more basic equipment you buy, the faster/higher the chance there will be that you'll outgrow it fast and will already want to move on to something more advanced.

I was in the same boat as you, wanted to jump into the scene but was on a budget. It's the same story for everyone. I opted for an S2 because it was a good mid-range choice for me as a beginner. Not the cheapest out there, but also very friendly for beginners, and definitely an advanced enough piece of equipment that I think will keep me busy for months on end trying to fully understand it and maximize its capabilities.

Just think that through and really look into what direction you eventually want to go with djing. Is it an interesting fad for you? Or a serious hobby you want to take further?

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Cabullis View Post
    I was in the same boat as you, wanted to jump into the scene but was on a budget. It's the same story for everyone. I opted for an S2 because it was a good mid-range choice for me as a beginner. Not the cheapest out there, but also very friendly for beginners, and definitely an advanced enough piece of equipment that I think will keep me busy for months on end trying to fully understand it and maximize its capabilities.
    +1

S2 is a solid controller. It will not be the "limiting factor" in your creativity for a really long time (if ever). I started with a VCI-100 Arcade + Audio 2, and moved to the S2. The S2 is a solid step up. Aside from some tweaks to the JogFX particulars, the DJTT mapping is good to go for actual DJ work.

Four decks or two decks + sample/loop decks is nice...but that is a LOT to manage in a live set. Most of the "advanced" controllerism techniques and videos lend themselves to a performance on a youtube video. I could plan out a few "routines" and get them loaded while DJing "normal" in the background...but it's a LOT of PITA and potential to f!@#$ up for not a lot of gain. Hats off to the people who are trying...but I need to have a SOLID performance every time I am in the booth.

There is a HUGE value in being able to turn in a reliable set every time you walk into a booth. And it is no small feat of skill to pull that off.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123