Custom APC80 Build
    Tech Convert

Default Custom APC80 Build

Hey there,
    I've been lurking for a while and decided I should probably join this wonderful community.
    I've recently built an APC80, and been working on a custom version of Will Marshall's template.... My vision is a "battlestation" of sorts...where two dj's can battle back and forth.... I'll save the controllerism questions for that section, but I wanted to share my build, and the changes I made.

I wanted this to be like one instrument... 1 usb cord, 1 power adapter, and one sturdy controller to carry.
    As far as sturdyness... I added washers to the main bolts that hold the two controllers together, and used 2 aluminum bars instead of a large plate. I also plan on using Sugru (https://sugru.com/) to fill in the gap, and hopefully eliminate the seam between the controllers completely. Supposedly when it hardens, it has the adhesive strength of super glue...I'm looking forward to that.
    For 1 USB cable, I'm actually using a 2 port in-line usb hub(amazon, $10), with one longer and one shorter cable, and the entire hub and connectors have heat shrink keeping them from separating. This part is currently in transit, but I'm using a different hub, and have had no problems with 2 controllers on 1 usb. This part is essentially a 'usb Y cable'

Power was a bit trickier, but I think I've developed a clever solution similar to the usb fix. Both the APC20 and APC40 run off a 12v 2a power supply. I've ordered a 12v 4a power supply, and plan on making a Y adapter, running both plugs in parallel. I will put 2A fuses inline just in case, but this power adapter is a laptop style power brick, so I will connect both apc's, turn the switches to on, and then plug the power brick in to avoid any chance of 4amps hitting one of the controller.

I want to change the crossfader out...I see that its removable, replaceable, but is it cross compatible? Anyone have any idea of any other crossfaders that would fit? I'm specifically looking for one with a notch at center, and a bit more resistance than the akai one

And no build thread would be complete without pictures...admittedly I am a bit of a Red Bull fan... The last pic is just a little teaser of something I'm working on..more details of that to come

2012-11-17 12.35.22.jpg
    2012-11-18 12.58.58.jpg
    2012-11-19 13.02.49.jpg
    Last edited by kwheels; 11-19-2012 at 05:43 PM.

Nice one.

Read up on Volts/Amps. There is absolutely NO harm in upping power supply amps, as long as the supply has a stable voltage.
    IBM Thinkpad X41 - IBM Thinkpad T60p - Xone 4D - 2x SL1210 - Maschine mk2 white

Tech Convert

That is fantastic! Nice work, dude!

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by boarderbas View Post
    Nice one.

Read up on Volts/Amps. There is absolutely NO harm in upping power supply amps, as long as the supply has a stable voltage.
    Thats what I was thinking...my experience with electronics is mostly in motors...and the motors only draw what they need for power... I didn't figure that the 4a would be an issue...though I will still probably add 2A inline fuses just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by kwheels View Post
    The last pic is just a little teaser of something I'm working on..more details of that to come
    can't wait!
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

Tech Convert

Default Finished wiring...

Finished up my wiring today... Heres a bit of a writeup on how to tame the APC80's cables

Parts used:
    Zitrades Ac Power Adapter with 3 Prong Plug 12V 4A DC tip 5.5x2.1mm fit for all LED Flexible strip by Zitrades
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i01

Plugable USB 2.0 2 Port Hub
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i00

RadioShack Parts:
    Auto. Inline Fuse Holder, 5x20mm fuses, part number 270-1238, quantity 2
    Fast Acting 2-Amp fuses, 5x20mm, 1 pack, comes with 4, part number 270-1052
    Size M Coax. DC Power Plug, 2 per pack, part number 274-1569

Heat Shrink
    Solder
    Wire(From another DC Transformer)

both plugs are in parallel, fuses are on + current. I shortened one of the usb cables, but I plan on ordering a 6 inch or 1 foot one. The whole usb hub is getting shrink wrapped or wrapped in tape or something...just waiting on the longer cable

and a few pictures

2012-11-21 15.44.26 HDR.jpg
    2012-11-21 16.15.44 HDR.jpg