Maschine Mikro MK1 or Novation Launcepad
    Tech Mentor

Default Maschine Mikro MK1 or Novation Launcepad

I am trying to Figure out which one I should get, I would like to start producing and these two came across as my favourites, as far as price goes the Maschine is 250 and the launcepad is 200

Apprently the launcepad comes with a small version of ableton (Is that correct) and the Maschine obvously comes with Maschine which i also like the look of.

I would also be using the controller to do Live Drum Performances, the maschine looks better for drumming but the launcepad looks better for producing

Please help me to decide
    Numark mixtrack - Numark DJ IO Sound card - Akai lpd8 - Traktor pro 2 - Senheiser HD205

Tech Mentor

As the name already says the "launch"pad is mainly for launching clips in ableton. Its a good piece for live performances but not that much for producing your own music. If you want to do stuff like live remixes or mashups in ableton it will fit your needs imo.
    I never used the maschine mikro but from what ive heard its functionallity is very limited compared to the full version. However i think the software that comes with it is pretty nice for producing your own beats out of samples or a synth.

Maschine Mikro idk about, but I love Maschine. The way I produce my tracks is I do all the main work as in creating drums, bass lines, etc all in Maschine then I drag and drop it into Ableton.

To be honest i'm sure most people would suggest going with Ableton but unless you're going to be working with Vocals anytime soon I would suggest Maschine. You do however have to take the time to learn it. A lot of people (myself included at the beginning) picked up the Maschine and then just had it laying around the house never to be touched. It's a phenomenal tool. And if you pick up the Novation Launchpad it comes with an intro version into Ableton which I believe is highly limited.

This is just my two cents.

Tech Mentor

Never really got too deep in to Ableton so I won't try to persuade you against it. I will however tell you how great the Maschine is. Now, obviously the Mikro has less knobs and only one screen. However, you can still do everything on Mikro than you can do with the fully sized maschine just from my understanding you'll be looking at the screen more often. That being said....

....Maschine is amazing. I do pretty much EVERYTHING in in, sample, sequence, write, arrange, automation. I do however leave the final arrangement to Cubase. Also with the linear drawing for FX automation being easier than the way it is in Maschine I leave the finer tuning stuff for Cubase. The dynamic FX are great in Maschine, but I find I'm accustom to the "sound" and familiarity of the Cubase stuff. Side-chaining as well is something that I do in Cubase because of the lack on integrated side-chaining in Maschine. I think the hands on component is the crucial thing here. I very rarely look at my comp screen when in the creative process. And I believe this is a key when considering new hardware.

All in all, the Ideas come to life in Maschine (melodies, drums, FX) then they get polished in Cubase. Whi