Just a little FU to NI. - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Forgive me, but what exactly do you do with Traktor without hardware of some kind plugged in?
    I move a lot and don't carry my stuff everywhere with me (not saying I'm globetrotting) so: track preparation, mapping drafting, trying out stuff together, etc. I won't record or do a gig without hardware but that doesn't mean they should limit the hell out of a piece of software when nothing is plugged.

My only NI hardware atm is Maschine and I doubt if some kind of lock was implemented that would bypass it, it's like expecting scratch functionality from a KA6 box.
    Last edited by padi_04; 11-25-2012 at 09:32 AM.

Okay. That's a valid point. But would you have been any worse off just drawing notes in Ableton instead? Or Finale. Or any of a dozen other things that will export MIDI?

Maschine's only real selling point is its hardware integration……without the hardware, it's just a slower, more limited Live that happens to come with a lot of samples.

Frankly, if I were in their place, I'd seriously consider giving away the Maschine software and just charging for sample libraries and hardware, probably at the same prices they're charging now.
    I've come to appreciate machine even from a software only perspective and never attempt to use maschine solely- the huge sample library and organization plus the expansions is great. I've started just dragging and dropping patterns in maschine to audio clips in live and it is really quick. Nothing in live really compares to the speed of maschine software and being able to sort drum sounds by type and easily scroll through a list of 100 ride cymbal samples auditioning each one to change out a slot then just dragging a pattern to audio- plus saving patterns and swapping out kits, and when you find something just drag and drop the pattern to audio in your daw. It's nice having the hardware to do some of it but even without it it is useful.

Frankly, I just can't figure out why I have to start another buggy, slow application (which seems to want updates at least as often as everything else) just to input my license keys as opposed to doing it during the install, when it makes sense.

Okay. That's a valid point. But would you have been any worse off just drawing notes in Ableton instead? Or Finale. Or any of a dozen other things that will export MIDI?

Maschine's only real selling point is its hardware integration……without the hardware, it's just a slower, more limited Live that happens to come with a lot of samples.

Frankly, if I were in their place, I'd seriously consider giving away the Maschine software and just charging for sample libraries and hardware, probably at the same prices they're charging now.

Forgive me, but what exactly do you do with Traktor without hardware of some kind plugged in?

You used Service Center to put in your license keys……unless, of course, your software is stolen and it doesn't take license keys.
    LOL, yes...I am pirating....DOH.

I dont update via Service Center. Just Reg. Its never been a big issue. Just having to download the new version is.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123