(Tutorial) How to Map the F1 in MIDI Mode.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Lightbulb (Tutorial) How to Map the F1 in MIDI Mode.

How do I get to Midi Mode and what is it?

First off it you want to use the F1 in "Midi Mode" it is important to understand how this works and how to access it.

Midi Mode is the same as User Mode; the two are interchangeable. This mode, accessed via holding 'SHIFT' and the pushing 'BROWSE' will make the F1 go into Midi Mode. User mode is a mode designed to give users the ability to use the F1 for other things instead of its set native Remix Deck controls. Personally I use the F1s User Mode for instant press FX, Looping and Hot Cues. If you just want to use the F1 for basic remix deck functionality you DO NOT need midi mode.

How to map pad LEDs

The most common question I see about mapping the F1 is how to map the LEDs. After you have created an 'out message' by using Traktor's Controller Manager by using the commands

Add Out > Command you want to map

Next to the learn button there is a drop down bar. This bar is used to select where the LED output message will go. The pads on the F1 are organized left to right, then down, left to right, exedra. Meaning the Pad in the top-left is 1, top-right 4, bottom-left 13, bottom-right 16. After you have selected your pad its time to select your color. Choose one of the many colors. From here standard mapping rules apply. As an example here is a quick run through of mapping a Blinking Led when deck 'A' is playing.

Add in > Deck Common > Play/Pause > Learn to Pad 1 > Button- Toggle > Deck - A
    Add out > Deck Common > Beat Phase > From the drop down bar select Pad 1 and Cyan > Deck A > Midi Range 0-127 > Controller Range (Negative) .5 - (Positive) .5
    Add out > Deck Common > Play/Pause > From the drop down bar select Pad 1 and Cyan > Deck A > Midi Range 0-127 > Controller Range 0-1

Now hit that pad and you will have a pad that blinks on the beat for deck A.

Hope that helped with any pad LED issues on the F1!

Creating Pad Pages using the encoder and LED Screen

This mapping will allow you to have a total of 8 different pad functions shown by the second digit on the LED Screen.

First lets make sure that the F1 is in Midi mode. In your controller manager, input these commands. In the end the Screen will say what page you are on using a modifier in this case #8.

Add in > Modifier 8 > Learn > Wiggle your encoder > Type of control- Encoder > Interaction Mode - Relative > Rotary Sensitivity - 100% > Rotary Acceleration - 0%
    Add Out > Modifier 8 > Drop down next to learn > 7 Segment > 2nd Col > Controller range 0-7 > Midi Range 0-7 > Blend [Checked]

Now when mapping your pads be sure to add the modifier 8 and to what page you want assigned, this goes for Midi ins and outs. If you forget what page you are on just look at the 2nd number on the screen (0-7).

Simple Browse Mapping Tip

This simple map will allow your browse button to double as a 'browse only' layout button in the default F1 mapping.

In the F1 Default mapping:

Add in > Layout > Only Browse On > Learn 'Browse' > Do not override mapping > Mode - Toggle

There ya go!
    Last edited by 0Notice; 11-20-2012 at 08:43 PM.
    Mapping Enthusiast
    S4 | X1 | F1 | MF3D

Thanks a lot for the info on changing pad color. Im going to Map colors right now
    Macbook 13" 4 gb ram, traktor pro 2.6, kontrol x1, Kontrol z2, kontrol f1, midi fighter spectra, midi fighter 3d,
    Text, let's talk about edm or mixing! 831-801-1774

Tech Wizard

nice tutorial. ty!

Tech Convert

thank you for the info

Tech Convert

too bad that you can't use more than one user mappings at the same time. after swichting to default mapping and back again to your user mappings, only the first user mapping can be controlled.
    in the real midi mode you can use more than one mapping and don't run out of modifiers.

p.s: you shouldn't use the words "midi mode" in your tutorial because it is the user mode and not midi mode. there is a difference!
    when you want to access the midi mode you have to change it in the kontrol f1 preferences.
    Last edited by Tekken; 02-28-2013 at 07:57 AM.

Tech Wizard

Nice post! I still have a question about mapping for midi mode. I want to make an Fx effect mapping like the insta gratification mapping for MidiFighters. What modifiers would I have to map to map effects and how do you map effects to buttons? I've been searching for a while on how to do it and this was the best thing I have found yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Clilley13 View Post
    Nice post! I still have a question about mapping for midi mode. I want to make an Fx effect mapping like the insta gratification mapping for MidiFighters. What modifiers would I have to map to map effects and how do you map effects to buttons? I've been searching for a while on how to do it and this was the best thing I have found yet!
    I am going to send you over to my other thread, The Ultimate Fx thread. There you should be able to find what you need to map for instant grat.
    Mapping Enthusiast
    S4 | X1 | F1 | MF3D

Tech Wizard

Thank you that should help a ton! Just one more question for midi mode do I just make a generic controller mapping and use the F1 in and out or do I modify the F1 mapping?

It is a user mapping is what Traktor calls it Default should stay the same!
    Mapping Enthusiast
    S4 | X1 | F1 | MF3D

How do you make KNOB to Select Up/Down (Browser.List) for me its always going down or up I cant work it out to go the way you turn the knob....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast