help bringing my vision to reality!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default help bringing my vision to reality!

OK so I'm a musician but admittedly know very little about music technology. What I want to do is hopefully pretty simple I think I'm in the right place for help...

First for the hardware, I wanna be able to sample sounds (guitar/beatbox/anything) live and play them on a loop, each sound to an individual channel so that I can fade/mute/drop each sound individually, quickly and with ease. Then the next step, which I'm assuming requires the laptop, would be to have a way to make greater adjustments to each track individually, like delay, pitch and other more complex effects, but also done live and relatively quickly.

I hope I can get some awesome suggestions of equiptment that would work for me... And yeah I should mention I'm on a budget so nothing too crazy... Thanks in advance for your help!!

Sean
    Last edited by danceyourcaresaway; 11-21-2012 at 12:33 AM.

Maschine would do it.
    A well mapped A&H K2(or similar) + Traktor would do it.
    For sure there's a way to get Ableton to do it.

I'n not entirely sure how well the Maschine sampler performs "on the fly", but the Maschine is extremely powerful + gives you the added bonus of recording as a one shot sample and then sequence it on the fly using the step sequencer, or even "play" it in keyboard mode.

For traktor you can record loops and assign them to decks. There are 4 decks maximum, but if the decks are set to remix mode you can have 16 loops per deck. Effects and faders/equalizer are per deck, so you'd have to group things.
    IBM Thinkpad X41 - IBM Thinkpad T60p - Xone 4D - 2x SL1210 - Maschine mk2 white

Quote Originally Posted by danceyourcaresaway View Post
    OK so I'm a musician but admittedly know very little about music technology. What I want to do is hopefully pretty simple I think I'm in the right place for help...

First for the hardware, I wanna be able to sample sounds (guitar/beatbox/anything) live and play them on a loop, each sound to an individual channel so that I can fade/mute/drop each sound individually, quickly and with ease. Then the next step, which I'm assuming requires the laptop, would be to have a way to make greater adjustments to each track individually, like delay, pitch and other more complex effects, but also done live and relatively quickly.

I hope I can get some awesome suggestions of equiptment that would work for me... And yeah I should mention I'm on a budget so nothing too crazy... Thanks in advance for your help!!

Sean
    It sounds like you are looking for Ableton Live and an APC40.

Definitely Ableton Live. Check out Kid Beyond on youtube.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

What I want to do is hopefully pretty simple
    Ableton has the steepest learning curve however...

Quote Originally Posted by boarderbas View Post
    Ableton has the steepest learning curve however...
    I disagree - besides, it sound like he would like to do fairly sophisticated things.

Then go with botstein's advice, I'm talking about things I 've barely scratched the surface of...

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

First for the hardware, I wanna be able to sample sounds (guitar/beatbox/anything) live and play them on a loop, each sound to an individual channel so that I can fade/mute/drop each sound individually, quickly and with ease.
    +1 Ableton Live + APC40 would be the easiest way to do it IMHO,

Don't forget you'll also need a sound card capable sampling those sources, if each element you want to sample are initially being played together you may need a pretty big card with plenty of inputs to record the sources independently.

How many inputs will you need? Just one mic or several? You'd at least need a multiple mic amp if you plan on using a few.

The APC is a good controller, but it only controls the software, you need to take care of signal inputs by a seperate audio interface + mic amps.

I don't know how much cash you have to burn on this, but a good mixer with an eleborate soundcard may be nice too. If you want to route audio to external effects for instance.

If you are in the US, a Xone:4D would be way too expensive, but if you live in europe you can pick one up secondhand for about €850,- You would not need an additional conroller, as it's suitable for ableton out of the box (you will be required to do additional mapping, as you have to do with the APC too). It's an integrated controller, mixer and sound interface and has more digital audio channels than most standalone interfaces.

Ther are other mixers out there, but they are usually limited to 4 inputs. (Rane sixty eight, 6 stereo in and 2 dedicated mic channels)

You mention you're on a budget. If you want AKAI, RANE or A&H XONE gear, you are pretty safe in buying them secondhand. This is well built kit that is usually treated well (there are some very notable exceptions to be found here). Pioneer is good too, but tends to be treated with less respect. If you buy an audio interface (or mixer) secondhand, check all channels for noise and output levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Definitely Ableton Live. Check out Kid Beyond on youtube.
    wow that guy is next level.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast