Cdj1000
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cdj1000

Default Cdj1000

Hey Everyone,

I am looking at getting a set of the above, and linking it to traktor. I have an S4 and F1 however I feel this kinda limits me to getting gigs as not everywhere is controller friendly!

Would I be able to use my S4 as an external mixer?

Also if I use Timecode CD's Does that mean I lose the ability for cue's an hot loops?

Cheers.

Christian

Tech Wizard

Yes you can use the S4 as an external mixer... No you won't lose the ability for cues and hot loops. An X1 is a perfect companion, but since you already have the S4 you can use that

Tech Convert

I've used some of my friends cdj 400's with serato in both hid and timecode, if thats anything to go by hid is a ton better. maybe invest in some 400s or even used 850s instead? however i'm by no means experienced on the topic. its just what i have found.
    Pc: Macbook pro 13" 2.9 GHz dual core i7 8Gb DDR3 ram @ 1600mhz
    Decks/Mixers: 2 Cdj 400s / Djm 400
    Soundcards: Focusrite 2i2, Serato Sl1
    Software: Serato Scratch Live, Ableton Live 9 Suite
    Controllers: Korg NanoKey 2, Korg NanoKontrol 2

Quote Originally Posted by rip_king View Post
    Yes you can use the S4 as an external mixer...
    Thats just not true.

You can use the s4 as a soundcard as it is scratch certified. However the s4 cant be used as an external mixer because it is just a midi controller that controls when in INTERNAL mixing mode. so the line faders and eq knobs do absolutely nothing to the audio source as their only use is to be mapped to the controls within traktor.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Tech Wizard

Oh interesting i always thought you could use it... Maybe I was thinking of the denon

CDJ1000 Mk3 here and there's no direct HID....I use an Audio 8 DJ interface and timecode CDs
    A&H Xone DB4 l (2) Traktor Kontrol X1 MK2 l Maschine MK2 l Traktor Scratch Pro l Ableton
    Avalon (Hollywood) l Exchange LA (Los Angeles) l DS#ARP LA (Los Angeles) l Undercurrent (San Diego) l Frenzy Afterhours (Los Angeles) l AL Party (Los Angeles) l Spin (San Diego) l Sutra (Orange County) l Monarch (San Francisco)

Right, so I can't use the s4 as a mixer.

So CDJ1000's // Audio Interface // Timecode CD's

What cdj's are HID?

I see the 2000's are is that it?!

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by kooper1980 View Post
    Thats just not true.

You can use the s4 as a soundcard as it is scratch certified. However the s4 cant be used as an external mixer because it is just a midi controller that controls when in INTERNAL mixing mode. so the line faders and eq knobs do absolutely nothing to the audio source as their only use is to be mapped to the controls within traktor.
    Technically, you can use the S4 as a "mixer" for CDJ's either using timecode or standard CD's. However, you must have a computer connected running Traktor to do so. You have two options:

1) Connect CDJ's to decks C & D and select C & D as "Live Input" decks in Traktor. You can then play regular CD's.

2) If you have the certified Scratch Pro 2 upgrade, you can connect your CDJ's to decks C & D and play timecode CD's to control Traktor.

In both cases, you have the full "mixer" controls available on the S4, including gains, EQ's, filters, and line faders. So, technically it can be used as a mixer, but it is by no means able to be used as a standalone mixer without a computer.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | (2) Pioneer CDJ-2000 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    MacBook Pro | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | (2) EV ELX115P | EV ELX112P | (2) EV ELX118P

Thanks for that really useful post.

I think I am going to grab some old used cdj800's as that sounds perfect.

Happy to use my laptop with the mixes.

Thanks for the post, I owe you a beer

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by xian View Post
    Thanks for that really useful post.

I think I am going to grab some old used cdj800's as that sounds perfect.

Happy to use my laptop with the mixes.

Thanks for the post, I owe you a beer
    No problem... a couple other nice features of using Traktor and the S4 is that, even when playing regular CD's through the S4, you can still use decks A & B as either track decks or remix decks controlled by the S4... and you can also record all of your sources via the internal mix recorder.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | (2) Pioneer CDJ-2000 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    MacBook Pro | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | (2) EV ELX115P | EV ELX112P | (2) EV ELX118P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast