Traktor ban... Start of a new trend? - Page 5
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by oliosky View Post
    massive c**s
    you said it bro
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Most of the DJs I've dealt with that play Top40 shite and use serato or CDJs are massive cunts. But I don't blame serato or CDJs.

I do however, partially blame Top40 shite. I'm sure there is a peer reviewed paper somewhere that proves the relationship between liking/playing horrible middle of the road music and character flaws such as being a cunt.
    I read the first few posts and wasn't going to continue but I'm glad i jumped to the last two pages to find this fucking gem, great lols were had.
    < Progressive | Trance | Full On Psy | Liquid DnB >
    < Xone:1D:22:2D + Vestax PadOne >

I wonder how on earth such terrible DJs, such as the ones you mentioned who happen to use Traktor, even get an opportunity to play the events in the first place. Where is the quality control from the promoters? That's the weak link here, lazy useless promoters and booking agents, not a piece of software.
    If you've ever worked in event promotion before, you'd understand that this is a really stupid statement. When a new DJ approaches a promotion staff, they have virtually no information about him, aside from his preferred equipment.

I want you to build a lineup from literally a grab bag of random people, and a core base of 1-2 regular DJs, every single night you run events or gigs. "Quality control" is virtually impossible, because there are so many fucking kids, and a rapidly approaching deadline for a solid lineup.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Shishdisma View Post
    If you've ever worked in event promotion before, you'd understand that this is a really stupid statement. When a new DJ approaches a promotion staff, they have virtually no information about him, aside from his preferred equipment.

I want you to build a lineup from literally a grab bag of random people, and a core base of 1-2 regular DJs, every single night you run events or gigs. "Quality control" is virtually impossible, because there are so many fucking kids, and a rapidly approaching deadline for a solid lineup.
    What absolute tripe. You sound incredibly stupid for not prioritizing quality DJs before your "rapidly approaching deadline". I've been involved in the promotion of several different niche events and I would never put someone on that I had "no information, apart from his preferred equipment". The quality of the DJs playing directly affect the reputation of the night. Fuck it up and you look like a clueless hack.

What absolute tripe. You sound incredibly stupid for not prioritizing quality acts before your "rapidly approaching deadline". I've been involved in the promotion of several different niche events and I would never put someone on that I had "no information, apart from his preferred equipment". The quality of the DJs playing directly affect the reputation of the night. Fuck it up and you look like a clueless hack.
    Oh, yeah, totally, Im going to waste a ton of time vetting out the 7pm set on a Wednesday. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about, there simply isnt enough time in a week to lock down a lineup of AAA+ DJs for every set every night. I want you to vet through the Soundcloud of roughly 15 rookie DJs you don't know, and then try to assess and place them on a lineup based on what you've heard.

No. It doesn't work like that, a new DJ might get some meet and greet, a good word, some social media presence, and an early set to pad the lineup. If that kid flips the fuck out, causes problems on the decks, and clears the floor from lack of skill, that's after the fact.

"Prioritizing quality acts," hahahaha. Like anyone has the time to sort through the dozens of kid's Mixcloud pages. Pruning out Traktor users cuts out most of the bullshit promoters have to deal with.

There's a really uncomfortable fact that a lot of people in the internet DJ community have to deal with: roughly 90% of "bedroom DJs" are absolutely fucking terrible. Pick out any no-name kid out of a group, the one who's proud of his pile of NI equipment, and you can put a pretty safe bet on that kid's set being a certified mess.

Hmm, I don't know any venue where I live that books like that Shishdisma - where is it you play?
    Round here they have residents, not some all mighty turnaraound of dj's every night..

I think the facebook guy has a point - you just have to look at some posts on here to realise most new traktor dj's haven't got a clue.
    SC | MC

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky H View Post
    Hmm, I don't know any venue where I live that books like that Shishdisma - where is it you play?
    Round here they have residents, not some all mighty turnaraound of dj's every night..

I think the facebook guy has a point - you just have to look at some posts on here to realise most new traktor dj's haven't got a clue.
    The venues have every single slot from 6pm-2am every single night booked with pure residents, and never hire on any guest DJs or rookies? Shit, how'd you leave the bedroom then?

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky H View Post

I have to agree with Nicky, all of the club nights I've played at or promoted, it's all been down to being heard whilst playing out in a club, knowing the promoters for a period of time, taking time to go to their night as a punter, befriending people and building trust, and in terms of promoting nights it's the same. Even now, the recent gigs I've had are via contacts and building up a rapport, although my demos are hosted virtually as opposed to mixtape/cd now. I think most of the UK underground dance music scene operates like this IMHO.

Regarding the OP link, what a load of bollocks regarding Traktor, it's not the tools, it's the users. Although I think there is some truth in so much as digital DJing has made it much, much cheaper to become a 'DJ' and as a result there are a lot more people purporting to be that. Previously there was a much greater financial investment and you really had to be keen/dedicated to go and buy a pair of Technics, this attitude could often be translated in to working hard to become a better DJ and 'learn the trade'. I have to say the net is awash with awful, generic, badly mixed 'EDM' sets with lots of Facebook 'Likes' and when you read their mates comments saying 'awesome bro' or words to that effect and I'm left scratching my head. But thankfully in amongst my DJing peers/scene we don't have to get involved.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

Quote Originally Posted by backtothefront View Post
    I have to agree with Nicky, all of the club nights I've played at or promoted, it's all been down to being heard whilst playing out in a club, knowing the promoters for a period of time, taking time to go to their night as a punter, befriending people and building trust, and in terms of promoting nights it's the same. Even now, the recent gigs I've had are via contacts and building up a rapport, although my demos are hosted virtually as opposed to mixtape/cd now. I think most of the UK underground dance music scene operates like this IMHO.
    Yeah, this is a great way to get in tight with a club. That doesn't stop every single bedroom DJ and his dog from throwing mixtapes at the promoters, and offering to do cheap sets for the experience. When it comes down to the wire, and there still isn't a solid lineup all night, giving some new kid you don't know very well a guest spot somewhere in the 6-8pm range on a Wednesday isn't that uncommon. Especially if he works cheap and doesn't cause problems. The issue comes up when that friend of a friend that's looking to break out of the bedroom is actually a twat with an S4 that belts out trap and brostep at 7pm.

You wouldn't believe the sheer number of Traktor Twats that clog up the supply of guest spots and throwaway sets on a regular basis, offering to play for next to nothing, that's the root of the problem here.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Shishdisma View Post
    Yeah, this is a great way to get in tight with a club. That doesn't stop every single bedroom DJ and his dog from throwing mixtapes at the promoters, and offering to do cheap sets for the experience. When it comes down to the wire, and there still isn't a solid lineup all night, giving some new kid you don't know very well a guest spot somewhere in the 6-8pm range on a Wednesday isn't that uncommon. Especially if he works cheap and doesn't cause problems. The issue comes up when that friend of a friend that's looking to break out of the bedroom is actually a twat with an S4 that belts out trap and brostep at 7pm.

You wouldn't believe the sheer number of Traktor Twats that clog up the supply of guest spots and throwaway sets on a regular basis, offering to play for next to nothing, that's the root of the problem here.
    Oh don't get me wrong, I know what you mean, that's what I meant by the sheer volume of poor mixes out there. I think it is a joint onus on the promoter and DJ; the promoter to at least get the peak slots spot on each time to avoid disgruntled club goers and also ensure all DJ's know what is expected of them. The warmup DJ's also need to understand their responsibility - sadly as you rightly point out the DJ doesn't do this and a result their career will be short lived unless they wise up rapidly. Promoters who are looking for something for nothing get what they deserve and their nights will not last long if they continue to book newbie 'all the gear and no idea' DJ's in my experience.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast