Question

Thread: Question

Tech Wizard

Default Question

I have been Djing on my desktop from quite a while, but recently have been searching for a laptop. i would like the laptop to b around 14 Inches so its not too big. im not quite sure of what to look for in a laptop. (My current program is traktor pro). Could u guys tell me if traktor would b able to run on this nice and smoothly?

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...b3115fe817en02

Tech Mentor

Assuming you can upgrade the RAM, which would be cheap to do yourself, it looks like a good buy. Lenovo are solid and the components look more than capable.

Tech Wizard

Whats wrong with the ram? 6GB now enough? i really dont wanna upgrade anything once i get the laptop. Just wanna use it.

Tech Mentor

Is it me or do the specs say 2 different ram amounts? I saw 6gb at the bottom and 4gb at the top? Is windows 8 ok with traktor? I dont run windows so I never look at that. Looks a nice laptop
    TSP 2, S2, Audio 8, Maschine, 1210's, Launchpad, iPad, Nocturn 25, LPD8

www.audioj.webs.com S2 users check it out

www.JigAudio.webs.com Maschine goodness & other stuff

Tech Wizard

Its 6Gb and i dont think that windows 8 Should make a difference. I personally dont like it, but w.e

Tech Mentor

I thought I saw 4gb. If its 6, it would be ok. 8gb would be ideal. Having more ram than you need is better than having just enough. RAM is cost effective to the point where you can afford to have more than you might ever need.

Traktor runs fine on Windows 8, but when you exit the program it will stay running in the background and you have to kill it with Task Manager. This doesn't make any difference to you actually DJing with it though and it still saves your settings on exit and what have you. Native Instruments are aware of the issue and are working on a fix for it.

That laptop should have more than enough grunt to run Traktor.

Tech Wizard

Can anyone explain to me what the Ultra version processors offer?

Tech Wizard

And which one would u guys rather pick?
    http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...9ca2964ca7en02
    or
    http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...b3115fe817en02

there is only a 20$ difference but the size of the other one is bigger, and I am afriad of it over heating. i heard somewhere that the ultra version processors stay very cool compared to the rest.

Ultra versions are clocked down to improve battery life... This is the biggest pitfall of ultra books in my mind and ssd storage is used to make up for this.. If your looking for small and in Canada tigerdirect.ca is running some asus 14.4 with i7 for like 629 or so likely better option then ultra books.

Have a few high end zen books deployed and they are great but would be better if unrestricted for battery life. Suppose to be getting some new 13.3 with quad core i7 and touch may try to throw throttle stop on see if can really in throttle CPU to get full potential out of it