Newbie debating S2 Purchase - Please Advise!

Default Newbie debating S2 Purchase - Please Advise!

Hey everyone,

I am a longtime pianist who is taking on DJing. I have a good friend who is a long-time, well respected DJ. He has offered me his old gear ... a VCI-100SE (Arcade Modded, with DeckSaver) and Audio4 DJ sound card for $300. Until this offer, I was nearly set on purchasing the Kontrol S2 from DJTT (today it is on sale for $425).

I have always been told, as a musician, to "buy your last one first." I am just trying to gather some opinions on which route I should go. I am price-conscious and would like to save as much money as possible, but do not want to buy something only to outgrow it and have to purchase something new.

Hope to hear from all of you soon! Thanks for your help.

Tech Guru

I have both. The VCI-100 Arcade + Audio 2, and an S2. At this point, I prefer the S2...but the differences are at the level of "nits." While I was using the VCI-100, I liked it as a controller...and had no serious complaints. I upgraded when the S2 went on sale last year (more $$$ than sense).

The S2 has tighter integration with Traktor. The JogFX mapping is really well thought out, and I like the effects. The built in sound card is "one less thing" to remember.

The two controllers are both really good. Neither will be outgrown in the short to medium term. Augment either with a MidiFighter, F1, Maschine Mikro, or something else and you can grow for years.

If you friend who is selling the VCI-100 is willing to help you learn to use it...that would be a HUGE advantage for that controller.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post
    If you friend who is selling the VCI-100 is willing to help you learn to use it...that would be a HUGE advantage for that controller.
    He is willing to help me, which I agree would be invaluable. Also having the Audio 4 would be an upgrade in terms of use in other applications. I believe this is the route I am leaning towards.