S4 Question / problem almost solved its in bits now haha ( Fader Issue ) Please read.
    Tech Student

Default S4 Question / problem almost solved its in bits now haha ( Fader Issue ) Please read.

Hi, I have decided to fiddle and probably break my S4(hopefully not)
    all has gone well and I can now clearly see the fader ( tempo fader )
    here are some pics.
    My question is.
    What fader is it? what ohm etc etc as doesn't say on it.
    Its a 60mm fader I think.
    what would be awesome if someone could send me a link to a replacement as NI don't sell them, and probably don't want you doping this but my warranty was void anyway.
    Cheers
    Paul
    20121123_174012.jpg20121123_174016.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by paulyh View Post
    Hi, I have decided to fiddle and probably break my S4(hopefully not)
    all has gone well and I can now clearly see the fader ( tempo fader )
    here are some pics.
    My question is.
    What fader is it? what ohm etc etc as doesn't say on it.
    Its a 60mm fader I think.
    what would be awesome if someone could send me a link to a replacement as NI don't sell them, and probably don't want you doping this but my warranty was void anyway.
    Cheers
    Paul
    20121123_174012.jpg20121123_174016.jpg

Hi paul...so i have a fader issue as well, after spilling some water on the machine. deck b fader will now randomly move up and down. After much reading and comunication with NI, all the usual steps have been taken, recal, uninstall prog..bla bla bla.
    Everything is still the same. i have had the unit for over a year now...with no warrenty and a month left untill a big NY gig, i have to get this fixed.
    I would like to access the faders to give them a good spray out with air..maybe clean them with isopropyl alcohol??
    i took the back off tonight and had a look if i could access the faders, with no real experience at this sort of thing i got stumped fairly quickly on how to get to the faders. if u could leave me some instructions and maybe some step by step pics, on how u got access to the fader that would help me out huge.
    thanks for your time
    Nick

It's his tempo fader not his volume fader
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

Quote Originally Posted by DJDoubleYou View Post
    It's his tempo fader not his volume fader

oh crap didnt see that.. any ideas on how to get to the volume faders?

Tech Student

Hi Nick, I have now fixed the issue with the tempo fader.
    Bascially, I am not soo keep on taking it apart again to take pictures of the process.

**However, before I start, to get to the faders, volume , pitch etc, there are some hidden screws under the front of the unit where the encoders are, so you will damage the unit a little as you have to remove the front facia to get to the screws underneath, they are glued down i used a sharp knife to remove them, not the best option, but didnt have anything else..**

From here it is a matter of just removing the screws that hold on each part of the unit together.,
    I started by removing the screws for the panel that contains all the outputs on the rear of the unit.
    I think there are only 2 screws for this.
    After removing those two screws you can get to all the cables that are attatched to the pcb. Now remove the caps on the rear of the unit that control the gain etc there are two black caps that just pull off.
    **TAKE A PICTURE AT THIS POINT** so you know what cables go where when putting back together. Remove all cables by gently pulling them away from their connectors.
    Now that panel should be removable place it somewhere safe.
    Next you need to remove the pcb that has the knobs for the cue volume and mix. Again remove carps first.
    ALSO unscrew the nut that has is around the headphone input, it should be fairly easy to remove.
    Now it takes a bit of force to remove the pcb from the unit as it is clipped on. there are some little indents that a screwdriver will fit in to help lever it away. ( I hated this bit but it wont break dont worry )
    Now remove all the fader caps etc on the front of the unit.
    There amy be some other cables etc that you will need to remove o get tho the mixer section.
    Sorry this is a bit rushed, im in a lecture at uni so don't have access to any more pics I took. I wil when I get home add some more photos I took and look over this post as im sure it doesnt make much sense.

P.S if the faders need to be replaced, they are £1.50ish each, but postage is around £15, extortionate I know. However im sure a good clean with some electrical cleaner and some tlc and they will work again.
    My advice is dont be afraid of it when you take it apart, aslong as your careful your not going to make it any worse, just the front of the unit will look a little worse for wear. you can replace the panels on the front and they look okay, I will take a photo of what mine looks like after I had it in bits, just a few minor scrathces from the knife and the lower left corner has a bit of peeling, doesnt affect the unit though, again sorry for the rushed reply.