Additional equipment for Dj/Production?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    327

    Default Additional equipment for Dj/Production?

    Sup everyone, so I started mixing around 2 months closing in now, and the only equipment I have is a Denon Mc3000 (which is just a FANTASTIC piece of equipment).

    I'm looking to get into production as well, and I've had my eye on the OXYGEN 25 KEYBOARD for my midi controller since it's an absolute necessity, and for it's price, not a bad piece of equipment!

    Anyways, my question is, I'm looking for additional equipment to further enhance my mixing and or production. I don't mean I'm looking for equipment that will AID my mixing, just give me more options to play around and get creative.

    I was thinking about the NATIVE INSTRUMENTS KONTROL X1, I hear it gives DJs more flexibility in terms of effect control and deck control?

    Any other equipment? Perhaps the launchpad? Although that's mainly for live usage, I can see it being a clever addition to live mixing with the proper samples inputted.


    Any thoughts is much appreciated, I really want to broaden my horizon in terms of creativity. I still haven't FULLY unlocked the full potential of the denon mc3000, but I'm getting the hang of it really fast.

  2. #2
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    487

    Default

    I think the problem is that you haven't been mixing long enough to understand exactly what it is that you want out of a controller.

    If you're just looking to add a controller to your MC3000, I would hold off. In a few months you'll better understand what the controller is lacking and exactly what kind of additional tactile controls you need to make your sets better. By then, you'll know exactly which controller you need.

    If you're into production, a keyboard or drum pad is always a good start. Keep it up!
    Last edited by sss18734; 11-24-2012 at 07:11 PM.

  3. #3
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sss18734 View Post
    I think the problem is that you haven't been mixing long enough to understand exactly what it is that you want out of a controller.

    But if you're just looking to add a controller to your MC3000, I would hold off. In a few months you'll better understand what the controller is lacking and exactly what kind of tactile controls you need to make your sets better. By then, you'll know exactly which controller you need.

    If you're into production, a keyboard or drum pad is always a good start.
    Fair enough, but I'm slowly starting to realize that I really want more EQ options to tinker with, aside from the normal hi/mid/low

  4. #4
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    487

    Default

    How so? Besides Ableton, I can't think of any live software that has more than 4 bands. What are you using live?

  5. #5
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    327

    Default

    I use traktor for mixing and ableton for producing. Is there no other way to expand the EQ settings?

  6. #6
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    487

    Default

    Not without getting a hardware EQ. Having more than 3 (4 at most) is totally impractical for DJ use anyway...

  7. #7
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sss18734 View Post
    Not without getting a hardware EQ. Having more than 3 (4 at most) is totally impractical for DJ use anyway...
    Really?


    This is such a noob question, but when I see Dj's use a full mixer and 2 cdj's, what are all the knobs on the mixers? I thought they were all extended EQ settings? Or are they all effects?

  8. #8
    Tech Wizard stevohill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DemiAlex View Post
    Really?


    This is such a noob question, but when I see Dj's use a full mixer and 2 cdj's, what are all the knobs on the mixers? I thought they were all extended EQ settings? Or are they all effects?
    If you're referring to a something like a DJM850/900/2000 each channel has a trim level knob, lo/mid/hi, and then a color effect/filter. So while they do have five "knobs" per channel, there are only three eq knobs.

  9. #9
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stevohill View Post
    If you're referring to a something like a DJM850/900/2000 each channel has a trim level knob, lo/mid/hi, and then a color effect/filter. So while they do have five "knobs" per channel, there are only three eq knobs.
    Yeah stupid question, I just realized that all those knobs were just individual EQ/effect settings for each channel.

  10. #10
    Tech Wizard stevohill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DemiAlex View Post
    Yeah stupid question, I just realized that all those knobs were just individual EQ/effect settings for each channel.
    I'm kinda curious now just for discussion sakes for what purpose you want such specific control over the EQs? Was it more for production purposes or djing/mixing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •