Traktor S4 refresh imminent?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Traktor S4 refresh imminent?

I have no idea, but the original was released almost two years ago. Is there an update coming anytime soon? I already felt kind of burned on the Maschine refresh. But I want an S4!

I heard some speculation regarding S1 (Z2 release is kind of leading up to that, so would make sense). S4 is a great piece of equipment, so unless they really want to blow our minds I have hard time picturing what the refresh could bring, S4 has a very solid set of features.

Also since S4 is so tightly integrated with Traktor it really depends on what the new version of software will have (again, going back to Z2, 2.6 update added features that shine on Z2). If they will go VJing route (Serato did), maybe there'll be a controller that helps with that.

All in all I don't think you will burn much by getting an S4, they won't likely make it obsolete and it should keep it's value for some time to come.

On a somewhat unrelated note DDJ-SX seems like a more than worthy alternative if you're OK with Serato DJ. I've seen it demoed at product launch, it's quite a sexy piece of hardware.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Like I keep saying, expect an update once the S4 goes on a 50% sale. It took Maschine around 4 years to be updated, the X1 is 3 and we don't have nothing on the horizon either (personally i don't think any of these NEEDS an update). You can still rock the hell out of a Maschine without the pretty colors.

If you are worried about manufacturers making it obsolete then go for a modular setup.

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Like I keep saying, expect an update once the S4 goes on a 50% sale. It took Maschine around 4 years to be updated. [...] You can still rock the hell out of a Maschine without the pretty colors.
    So true. I guess my main disappointment wasn't missing the pretty colors (although I do like those), but it was missing out on the firesale of existing Maschines. I bought mine maybe a month or two before the price dropped like $200. Would like to avoid the same with an S4, but as AMmonogammee mentioned, the S4 will remain solid and relevant for some time.

Didn't know about the four year update cycle with Maschine. Someone on another thread on the NI forums posited that the company's recent product releases suggested it will go all modular and avoid the all-in-one solutions. Can't imagine them just giving up on a product as successful as the S4, especially when they could just add a few colored pads and one or two extra features and spur another buying frenzy (a la Maschine).

Quote Originally Posted by AMmonogammee
    I heard some speculation regarding S1
    What is an S1? Would that be a single-deck module of the S4? Very curious....

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dual citizen View Post
    So true. I guess my main disappointment wasn't missing the pretty colors (although I do like those), but it was missing out on the firesale of existing Maschines. I bought mine maybe a month or two before the price dropped like $200. Would like to avoid the same with an S4, but as AMmonogammee mentioned, the S4 will remain solid and relevant for some time.
    Think of it this way: I paid for mine $950 a month before the sale was announced and after 3-4 months of waiting on a douchey customs office. It can always be worse

Haha, yea S1 idea is what it sounds like. I mean with a Z2 release it only makes sense, right.

Apart from the money loss issue (which happens to me too often to keep being bothered by it), it's about what you need. A good example is mixtrack, it's an old controller, but I still see it recommended to novice DJs because it does it's job right.

I am biased, but I feel like S4 is a successful enough controller to fall into the same category of being a recommended hardware regardless of time. It's integration with Traktor is tight, I mean REALLY TIGHT. Makes me smile till this day

Quote Originally Posted by monogammee View Post
    I am biased, but I feel like S4 is a successful enough controller to fall into the same category of being a recommended hardware regardless of time. It's integration with Traktor is tight, I mean REALLY TIGHT. Makes me smile till this day
    Yes! I believe!

I've been on the VCI 100 since I first got into digital DJing about three or four years ago. I would love to get the S4, because it would allow me to do more of what I would like, without having to rely on a Launchpad for additional functionality. Plus, after getting Maschine, I just love the look and feel of NI hardware.

I think they may make some serious software changes to what the S4 can do (remap stuff for all the new 2.6 features) but as far as hardware goes, you can't beat the S4 and Traktor paired in my book.
    If you don't have haters, you're not doing it right

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast