How do you warm up? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Foreverhex View Post
    I've had problems in the past, where there was no way I could figure out what was wrong while drinking. Thats why I always keep a mp3 or CD player at hand.
    I know it's at that point people start calling you a c*nt, so I'd rather avoid it, plus I find I can zone in on what the crowd are doing better.
    Macbook Pro 13" • TP2 • MFPro Beatmasher • VCI-400 EGE • VCI-100 EGE Arcade NOW SOLD! • Presonus Firebox • Vestax VMC004XLu • SL1210's

I have DJed where I never got more than buzzed. And yes, you can feel the crowd a lot more.
    SyblingQ - Electro House for dark alleys.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I have a tendency to get kinda drunk during my sets. I always have a CD case of mixes near me so I have some sort of variety in case of disaster.

Though, I've found that when I'm really trashed I just stop thinking too far ahead and help pull the crowd. But it isn't adviseable under most circumstances.

Just need to go with the flow. We all screw up.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

In all honesty I try to set things up ahead of time and make sure I've got no major problems .

If I'm playin by myself all night I'll just play tracks the first hour or so and do a little hangin with the crowd or staff and get a feel how things should go have a few drinks find a safe place to smike a phatty and off the night goes .

If I'm playin with other DJs I still try to show up early and get a feel for the crowd and talk to the other DJs about what's been working and what hasn't .

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

I find being a little drunk helps getting started, but too drunk for me and I just start getting lost and if something goes wrong its hard to fix, not a big deal at house parties but kills the buz you are building. A bit of a puf just before you start always helps

I candy-flipped the first time I played out and that was awesome, was freaking out till I put the first track on then bang in the zone and two hours had just flown by.

Default heh

that candyflippin nite was nuts, didnt really work for me... in my opinion-pills not paper! but i dont think its a very good habit, i find dancing with watever is playing before hand always works for me. dont be ashamed to get loose

The right tool for the right job, I say. My drug of choice at gigs is usually adrenaline. I seem to channel the nervousness into the energy of the set. I get nervous before almost any gig, wherever it is, whatever size it is. If I'm not nervous, something's wrong. (I think it may mean I really don't care, which ain't good). I've gotten drunk at gigs, and usually I end up thinking I'm doing a lot better than I am. I haven't done anything else at gigs because, as was said, things can go graveyard wrong with a laptop and I'd hate to be wrecked and have that happen.

If I'm on the other side of the decks, though, gloves are off and borders are invisible.
    Steve Boyett
    Podcasts: Groovelectric | Podrunner | Podrunner: Intervals
    Traktor user

I sometimes do is set up 4 songs before hand just to get everybody moving and i just go from there ya know. also with me being a house party dj my set doesn't really get jumping until like 12 if i start at 10 ya know.

Also either a couple beers also helps or some shots not to much just enough to get a buzz and ride the buzz all set long.

i get ready by mixing, i practice if i have time before my gigs.

Also i let myself snap into "Dj Krilikz" instead of Kyle. Personally i think thats the most important part with mobile djs(that are going to mc).
    Dj Krilikz‡ -

@ midifidler and Kaon

I did that once, (e not acid) when I was just starting up. So if I did screw up, which I'm sure I did. I didn't notice not care. I kept run away from my set up and getting back just in time to try and mix in the next track... fun times.
    SyblingQ - Electro House for dark alleys.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast