Recommendations for Computer 2.1 System?

Default Recommendations for Computer 2.1 System?

My desk won't fit my KRKs, nor will they fit the monitors I'd want to buy. I'm looking for something small that sounds decent, though not necessarily studio-quality. I have RP5s for DJing, and when I have the space/budget to actually make monitors sound good, I'll do it. For now, my headphones work……and I do have access to a tuned room with Genelecs when/if I need it.

I also don't produce anything good enough to worry about it much at this point.

But I'd like it if my computer made sound. And I'd rather not be as off center as I am now…my KRKs are by my DJ gear, not my computer monitor.

The last time I looked at computer speakers, the Klipsch Promedia 2.1s were on top (a decade ago). Apparently Klipsch got bought out at least once since then and now the subwoofer performs a lot worse and isn't as reliable because of cheap parts.

So…something in that range that's actually still good. AudioEngine 2s would work, but with a sub, I think that's too much to pay for computer speakers. Then again, I might not really need a sub.

Basically I'm just confused.

Any thoughts?

Afraid not. But I'll be interested to see what comes of this thread.....

(I've got a 5.1 Creative System that I use for DJ'ing AND computer speakers. I do away with teh sentre speaker, and use 2 for DJ'ing, and 2 for computer speakers (with some "creative" cabling/routing!) Very old, but very reliable. I WOULD buy Creative again based o the performance of these...)

2.jpg

Fully adjustable bass (on the sub) and they are PLENTY loud n' clear. I got them free when I bought a 5.1 soundcard for my first desktop PC 10+ years ago. (I used the 5.1 card to get 3 separate outs from Ableton...)
    Last edited by Patch; 12-01-2012 at 04:10 AM.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

I had the old Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 and they have been amazing for everything, was using them as speakers for my setup until this past weekend one of the speakers went out i have a feeling its just the wiring but not sure...i'm using it as an excuse to snag a pair of Pioneer S-DJ08 monitors now that i have an actual room dedicated to my setup. I've heard mixed feelings about the new set of klipsch 2.1 i'm in the same place now i need computer speakers, 2.1 is the best way to go, they're just doesn't seem to be anything decent out there, even the pricier corsair speakers aren't worth their price everything seems to be low quality high price (for what it is) in the PC computer speaker market.

I went ahead and got a set of Klipsch 2.1s. The right speaker occasionally crackles straight out of the box. I'm going to take it apart and see if it's a simple wiring issue, but if not……I got a 2-year replacement plan. They'll replace/return them without argument. Way more than I wanted to spend, but……seemed like it'd be less frustrating than a $40 set of "whatevers".

But…when that speaker is working correctly, it works well. Definitely not the sound of monitors……nothing like flat……not very defined. But for all that, they do sound decent. If they end up working, I'll be happy to have them next to real monitors when I move to see what everyone else hears.

Harmon/Kardon 2.1 III(3rd Gen.) - around $199.00
    Probably cant get any better. for 2.1 speakers.

Ive tried the Klipsch and Logitech Z623 which are THX Certified. The Logitech was better than the Klipsch but the Harmon/Kardon is the best by far.

Id say return those. You wont regret it.
    Klipsch are flat like you said, and the Logitechs sound more like movie/gaming speakers. Crazy ass sub for a computer speaker. But the Harmon/Kardon is best for music its really nice. has rich highs, like no other 2.1 speaker. mids are a little held back but not lacking, bass is not overpowering but also deep and rich.
    Last edited by ST4R; 12-05-2012 at 12:13 AM.

Klipsch ProMedias are anything but flat. I certainly don't want to go any more colored than that.

Even ignoring the occasionally crackling (havne't gotten around to taking them apart yet), I'm probably going to return them. I'll either be going with whatever their cheapest option is (I've heard those Harmon Kardons and don't think they're worth anything resembling their price) or just go back to not having speakers.

Getting used to half-decent monitors will spoil you. Computer speakers just plain don't cut it.

Yeah I forgot to mention I run them through an external soundcard

Not relevant to my complaints.