Any Djs part of greek life
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Cool Any Djs part of greek life

Just wandering if any of you guys are or were a part of fraternities/sororities during college. Any fun stories Djing your own party or good connections made? My first actually gig was a rush mixer/party with last year with a sorority, it was a great time and I ended up pledging that house next semester. For the record i'm a Delta Chi
    Setup:Technic 1200's Mk2, Denon DN-X120 Mixer, Korg PadKontrol, Traktor Audio 6, Numark N4. CPU/Software:Lenovo G550/Traktor Pro 2.
    https://www.facebook.com/DJMeash
    https://www.soundcloud.com/djmeash

I'm in the same boat. My first "gig" was a mixer over two years ago, from there started doing all our invites and opens. I feel like there are ton of people like us that started out in college with Greek Events. I'm an Alpha Phi Delta at Stockton College by Atlantic City.

I'm a Skull (Phi Kappa Sigma). I never really enjoyed playing fraternity parties, but it still happened.

Sigma Chi here but that was 7 years ago now....UC San Diego Triton here
    A&H Xone DB4 l (2) Traktor Kontrol X1 MK2 l Maschine MK2 l Traktor Scratch Pro l Ableton
    Avalon (Hollywood) l Exchange LA (Los Angeles) l DS#ARP LA (Los Angeles) l Undercurrent (San Diego) l Frenzy Afterhours (Los Angeles) l AL Party (Los Angeles) l Spin (San Diego) l Sutra (Orange County) l Monarch (San Francisco)

Got my start DJing fraternity basement parties. A fantastic way to get your name out and play for crowds that come to party.

Long before my first public bar/club gig, I'd be arriving an hour or so before dark at the bigger party houses at Iowa State and hooking up to their old broken amps. My house wasn't dry, but we didn't hold massive ragers, so the stench of stale beer and the sound of sticky floors always seemed to stick out to me. With these parties, I learned quickly to read crowds, since you can't expect to play 3+ hours of underground funky house and not have someone threaten your life. You've got to play music that's the lowest common denominator, and I hate to say it, but it works. These are fun parties to play, even if the music isn't 100% curated by your own tastes.

Deny sorority girls' requests - chances are they're just drunk and want to talk to a strapping young DJ.

Once EDM started fit its way into the top 40 scene, I was able to get away with a wider range of remixes. The Crookers Remix of Cudi's Day N' Nite was a track I remember playing and thinking "holy shit, this crowd might actually appreciate a big room house track right now..." I'd do my best to teach them something new and throw in a handful of loop rolls, baby scratches and effects. Lots of high fives and easy hookups during these days. Just be careful since there's no bouncer like there would be in a bar. One time, an entire beer was spilled into the left deck of my NS7 and after killing the power it miraculously worked the next morning. Protect your shit.

Eventually, I'd get in touch with house social chairs and ask if they had a DJ for their bus parties, formals, house parties and other date functions. These get crazy, and as you may know, we spend thousands of fucking dollars throwing these events. Got my own pair of speakers and currently work as a mobile DJ for both sororities and fraternities (even as a postgrad) and make some serious money. Be friendly and open to catering to the needs of each party and you'll get recognized for it - word (good and bad) spreads fast in the Greek community.

It's a fantastic opportunity, so just talk to everyone who shows interest in what you're doing.
    MacBook Pro
    Numark NS7 + NSFX
    Serato ITCH
    Ableton Live 8
    Akai APC40

Tech Wizard

To put thing into perspective greek life is a little different at my school than the norm, since I go to a science school the people at least have half a brain and since its a small school its defiantly a more community orientated system. As far as music selection, at least at my own fraternity parties, I play whatever I want to. This is time for me to test out new songs and see how they work out in public, don't get me wrong reading the crowd is essential i just don't have someone barking at me (expect for the volume levels x_x) to play this or that. The parties are a ton of fun to do and at least when I play people start going crazy when we cut the lights, they "make it nasty" and sometimes I keep the main lights off just to save some people from embarrassment from their friends. I always bring my mobile setup when I play so no worrying about doggy equipment (I cant say that about other houses systems). like you said "B Linus" its a great way to network and get future gigs at formals, party and what have you.
    Setup:Technic 1200's Mk2, Denon DN-X120 Mixer, Korg PadKontrol, Traktor Audio 6, Numark N4. CPU/Software:Lenovo G550/Traktor Pro 2.
    https://www.facebook.com/DJMeash
    https://www.soundcloud.com/djmeash

I was also in a fraternity until last year and as a new member, I noticed our parties were lame, and the dance floor was always empty. I picked up a vci-300, some mackies and now we have the best ragers on campus. I absolutely love house parties and always do them for free, even for other fraternities and sororities. Something about the cramped, raw environment, and the interaction with the crowd always drew me to house parties over some club gigs I've also done. And with house parties I would really get to expirement with new music and styles, and get an instant reaction from the crowd. I was allowed to make mistakes and even when I would mess up, it was still a good time. And at them I also got to drink and have a good time too, which never hurt. After I graduated I mentored a younger guy, gave him my vci-300 and now he's running the show, killing it.

Another kicker, I met my girlfriend at one of my parties and we're going strong 2 years later

It's the perfect circuit to help develop skills and have a shit load of fun doing so!
    MacBook Pro
    Numark NS7 + NSFX
    Serato ITCH
    Ableton Live 8
    Akai APC40

What is this greek life? And why isn't it in Greece?

Mixcloud | Soundcloud | Facebook | Website(Dutch)

I mean, i would REALLY like to wake up and have boobs one day but there are reasons that just wouldnt work - Antifmradio

DUDE!

American fraternities, Dutch studievereniging. King of ETV- Hogeschool Haarlem.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast