Midi Fighter / Midi Fighter 3D Super Combos - A Definitive List
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Thumbs up Midi Fighter / Midi Fighter 3D Super Combos - A Definitive List

I haven't been able to find a thread containing an accurate description of the 5 super combos... so here goes. Apologies if this information has been repeated elsewhere...

For the purposes of this post, a super combo is defined as a sequence of buttons on the Midi Fighter or Midi Fighter 3D that generate an extra MIDI note when pressed. It has nothing to do with how that note is used in a software mapping. We're talking MIDI here. However, my controller is in Traktor mode, so the MIDI notes displayed here will be specific to that mode. These combos were taken directly from the Midi Fighter source code at https://github.com/dublindan/Midifig...Latest/combo.c.

Without further ado, the super combos!

Super Combo List
    Code:
    //   A          B           C           D           E
    // +--------+ +--------+  +--------+  +--------+  +--------+
    // |        | |        |  |        |  |        |  |        |
    // |        | |        |  |  3 4   |  |        |  |u       |
    // |        | |n n n n |  |  1 2   |  |a b c d |  |l r A B |
    // |1 2 3 4 | |        |  |        |  |        |  |d       |
    //                                     a-b-c-c-d   uuddlrlrBA
    Combo A:
    On the bottom row of the Midi Fighter, press and hold each button from left to right in order. The MIDI note sequence will look like this:
    Code:
    Message		Note
    Note On		C1
    Note On		C#1
    Note On		D1
    Note On		D#1
    Note On		G#-2
    Notice that you pressed 4 buttons, but 5 notes appear. That means the super combo worked!! G#-2 is a special note that the Midi Fighter sends only when these 4 buttons are pressed and held in the proper order. I'll refer to this as the "super combo note".

Combo B
    On the third row, press and hold all four buttons. The order in which you press and hold is irrelevant; the combo is still the same. I went from left to right, and these were the notes:
    Code:
    Message		Note
    Note On		E1
    Note On		F1
    Note On		F#1
    Note On		G1
    Note On		A-2
    Here, A-2 is the super combo note.

If I press from right to left, I get the same super combo note:
    Code:
    Note On		G1
    Note On		F#1
    Note On		F1
    Note On		E1
    Note On		A-2
    You can press and hold the buttons in any order with the same result. Try it for yourself.

Combo C
    On the third row, press and hold button 2 then 3. While still holding those, on the second row, press and hold button 2 then 3. The notes generated will look like this:
    Code:
    Message		Note
    Note On		F1
    Note On		F#1
    Note On		A1
    Note On		A#1
    Note On		A#-2
    Here, A#-2 is the super combo note.

Combo D
    On the third row, press and release button 1, button 2, button 3 and button 3 again; then press and hold button 4. The notes generated will look like this:
    Code:
    Message		Note
    Note On		E1
    Note Off	E1
    Note On		F1
    Note Off	F1
    Note On		F#1
    Note Off	F#1
    Note On		F#1
    Note Off	F#1
    Note On		G1
    Note On		B-2
    Here, B-2 is the super combo note.

Combo E
    This is the "Konami code". Row 2, button 1 is up; row 4, button 1 is down; row 3, button 1 is left; row 3, button 2 is right; row 3, button 3 is A; row 3, button 4 is B. Press and release them in the proper order (U, U, D, D, L, R, L, R, B) and then press and hold the last button (A). The notes generated will look like this:
    Code:
    Message		Note
    Note On		G#1
    Note Off	G#1
    Note On		G#1
    Note Off	G#1
    Note On		C1
    Note Off	C1
    Note On		C1
    Note Off	C1
    Note On		E1
    Note Off	E1
    Note On		F1
    Note Off	F1
    Note On		E1
    Note Off	E1
    Note On		F1
    Note Off	F1
    Note On		G1
    Note Off	G1
    Note On		F#1
    Note On		C-1
    Here, C-1 is the super combo note.

That's it! These are the 5 super combos and notes that are available for use in your mappings and performances. Hopefully this explanation helps current and future owners unlock the full potential of their Midi Fighter / Midi Fighter 3D. Enjoy!

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Nice post mate!

Can you please add video link? I'd like to replicate all combos in to my DIY controller but for now I only got combos A, B and C working and that's only for reason as I don't have MF to try it out and for fact there isn't proper video online that cover all combos.

ps. I found one but it ain't useful because of audio-video sync issue.

Thanks for time

Quote Originally Posted by jramos View Post
    I haven't been able to find a thread containing an accurate description of the 5 super combos... so here goes. Apologies if this information has been repeated elsewhere...

Code:
    //   A          B           C           D           E
    // |        | |        |  |        |  |        |  |        |
    // |        | |        |  |  3 4   |  |        |  |u       |
    // |        | |n n n n |  |  1 2   |  |a b c d |  |l r A B |
    // |1 2 3 4 | |        |  |        |  |        |  |d       |
    //                                     a-b-c-c-d   uuddlrlrBA
    Good post, you even got the details of when to release buttons and when the order is unimportant.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    Can you please add video link? I'd like to replicate all combos in to my DIY controller but for now I only got combos A, B and C working and that's only for reason as I don't have MF to try it out and for fact there isn't proper video online that cover all combos.
    I'm not sure a video really adds anything. It should be clear from the MIDI output what needs to happen. If you're trying to implement it in your own DIY controller, I would suggest looking at the source code I linked to in the post. It shows how the Midi Fighter firmware is monitoring the state transitions and triggering the super combos. You'd need something similar in your firmware.

Actually, a video could help me a lot since I'm not using any fancy firmware for my arcade controller (gamepad btw) and those three combos that I use effectively I have mapped by using modifiers and from hearing and watching Ean's MF videos. Maybe it sounds silly or incredible but that's the way how I got it working.

Also, looking at code can't help ether because I can't see there which effect parameter are used or which effects are selecting by engaging that extra note.

Tech Convert

My post is about what the Midi Fighter hardware is doing at the MIDI level with respect to super combo note generation. How those MIDI notes are used in a particular mapping is outside the scope of the post.

Is there a particular mapping you're attempting to reproduce? I.e. the Instant Gratification mapping?

Tech Convert

I'm also pretty sure now that my post is Midi Fighter 3D specific in terms of notes. It looks like the Midi Fighter has a different default note layout: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3528217/MIDI...DI%20notes.pdf That document should help if you're trying to reimplement a Midi Fighter mapping in Traktor. The combos should be the same sequence of buttons, though.

Nevermind. I know all about MF banks, modes and different massages and clearly see everything your post can say but you have to understand that stuff that you have posted can help guys who actually own MF to find out which buttons need to be pressed and in which order to get final result as each of combos and I'm looking for how that result sounds. Hopefully you have better idea now.

i just mash buttons and hope for the best
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    i just mash buttons and hope for the best
    lol. I thought you're using it as a night light

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast