Technics all the way... my SL-family is growing ! - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyDrama View Post
    Thanks for replying fellas !

Been busy with work, kids, garden, ... so not much 'play' and I think it has been more then 30 days that I didn't buy something for my studio. My wanted list has become a short list One more month of work and then I can start constructions my man cave.

SL's are also queing up, 2 MKII's & 2 MK5's to service (from friends)...

My last paintjob I did looked great but was not 100% so my last 2 decks are going to a professional for blasting & powder coating (met. black).

My sl-bases worked out great.
    I'm using regular motip vinly spray (not glossy) but first I sand then lightly with 600 & 1000 grid (wet !) and cover up the stickers on the back with tape.

Have a great weekend !
    Cheers JohnnyDrama, I will do my bases this weekend. I pick up my tops from the paintshop on Monday. They are being done gloss black with white decals, can't wait
    TSP2, Rane 64, 2x SL1210 (restored and customised), Shure M44-7 Carts, X1 Mk 2, Launchpad.

http://www.sounditoutrecords.co.uk
    https://soundcloud.com/theworkhouse-sessions

Kick (in the nuts )

The holidays / summer months flew past....september again.
    Have been enjoying the family life and not much time for the studio...with the bad weather and shorter days comming I will focus on the man cave again.

I developed another money pit / leak and started with motorcycle lessons this summer. Almost got my license...the bike was bought a few months ago and like my audio stuff I have been modding it to my taste (springs, dynojet, ...). Loving it

I also flipped most of my technics stock (not the family pieces !) and made a killer profit....still have:

• 1 silver MKI (stock) & 1 silver MKII (stock), both with high end hifi needles -> hifi set
    • 2 refurbed MKII's (black) with new tone arms & the works (+ set ortofon pro) -> booth @ home
    • 2 black MK5's with new tone arms & leds (+ set ortofon pro) -> in flights for gigs

After some accountancy (I document most of my purchases & sales, for reference), I realised that all 6 were paid with profit I made on flipping & repairing 12x0's That made me smile and these will stay with me forever...

Still want a M3D to complete the family (LTD/GLD are going for craaaaazy prices). Also need 2 hinged dust covers + 2 MK5 dust covers + OEM dust cover for the SL1200 original. Asking prices are off the chart so not likely new ones...

Did not buy anything new for the studio but some repair/refurb work ahead:

• check scratchy fader on the rodec (main 2)
    • refurb my SL flight cases
    • swap main drive on my audio pc before it crashes
    • upgrade traktor / maschine / ... software stuff (macbook & pc)
    • recap my hifi amp

At least I know what to do during the next weeks
    Last edited by JohnnyDrama; 09-29-2014 at 03:33 AM.
    If they don’t want to see the light…..just make them feel the beat…..

Tech Mentor

What kind of bike did you get!

I ride a Suzuki DL 650 v-strom.

love that bike!

Time to blow some dust....

It's been a while since I updated my topic, I've added some gear and was able to scratch some todo's off my list.

A new mixer came to play with it's new sisters: Rodec MX1800 !
    I've been hoping to score one of these since they were introduced and now I have a brand new one
    I paid 700 euro but 500 came from a poker tourney I won last weekend....so a pretty good deal on my christmas present

I also rebuild the Seyfor stand my best buddy gave me, so I now have two permanent set-up's to play with:

Rane 2016 / Xone 92r / Rodec MX1800
    2 CDJ 2000
    2 SL1210MK2
    Traktor Scratch

DJM 909
    2 SL 1210MK5

I updated my PC's hardware (SSD, processor, RAM, ...) + clean install, bought the Maschine 2.0 update + some expansion packs & more NI software and updated my macbook & windows laptop + all software.

Still to do:

- refurb both TT flightcases
    - recap hifi amp
    - check VU-meter Rodec MK3
    - study my behringer 2496-documentation (SRC/DEQ/DCX) and start fine-tuning sound
    - draw ground plan for my studio

Happy holidays !

Ps. @ teknik1200: I bought a kawasaki KLE500 (dualsport)

Double-posting....I'm on global ignore again ?

Some new purchases for my cave:
    • Rodec Restyler (YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH ) ->250 EU
    • 2 like new dustcovers (OEM MK2) with hinges -> 40 EU for set
    • Technics SL-P990 with remote for my hifi rig, new big sister for my 770 -> FREE
    • Keith Monks record cleaning machine -> 200 EU (mint !)
    • 12 new high quality RCA's (1.5m, 3m, 5m, 10m) -> 30 for the lot

These were more then a bargain, awsome lucky string atm...

Carry on...

Ps. silently looking for a way to get the funds for a MP2015
    Pss. received a very cool offer to buy a Freevox DJ Club
    Last edited by JohnnyDrama; 02-05-2015 at 02:12 PM.

Tech Wizard

This post was a motivating factor in my urge to go out and buy some Technics off my local craigslist. Not being in the market for awhile I didn't realize the prices on everything has changed dramatically and I totally didn't know what I should be looking for in a table.

So my first purchase was a black 1200 Mk2 for $250, dude demoed it for me and and it just looked like the plinth needed some cleaning up. Fast forward to it at my house and I didn't realize how damaged this table was. Tonearm bearings had wobble, antiskate broken, the needles twist left or right even after locking on, and worst of all the 4 prong connectors inside the tonearm are nearly black. I get audio either out of the left or the right based which way I tilt the cartridge. It's surreal considering when I probe them with a voltmeter there's no issues, just some dead zones on the prongs. I tried polishing, I tried electronics cleaner & lube, I tried rubbing alcohol, and nothing can get these prongs shiny and not black. Makes the table completely useless for DVS which is such a shame. Don't want to source $150 (NYC) to get the tonearm professionally replaced...

Then the next day a silver 1200 mk5 came up on sale for the same $250. Checked out the table and Everything works beautifully. Internally grounded, original RCAs, Tonearm skates, pitch is perfect, all lights work, I literally felt like I was walking off with a steal.

While I searched craigslist for weeks looking for the mk5s partner, a 1210 M5G came up for $350 with flight case and ortofon pro S needle. It was a three hour round trip drive, but when I got there I felt amazed. Single owner, the platter had never come off, some slight scratches that you can only see in pure light. It's amazing that now I feel like starting a collection like you do. I'm vying for partners to the Mk5 and the M5G to complete my sets. Still don't know what to do about that Mk2...

Thanks for motivating me!

Hey !

Thanks for posting, great to read my thread gave you the last push to start DIY / collecting.
    Too bad your first buy was a bad one but you made a great comeback with the MK5 & M5G.
    Use the MK2 to learn basic SL-knowledge and the problems you reported are not really a big problem.
    It's not hard to change the tone arm yourself and the anti-skate is a cheap repair.
    This it will solve all reported problems for less then $100.

If you are starting to collect, here is some personal advice:

Since you investing long term, it's crucial to buy at bargain prices.

It's very hard to recover from a bad buy, so keep you funds for the best buys out there.
    Stay sharp and always try to be first on the scene, focus on some must have items to get better results.
    And never low ball / scam the unknown sellers, make shure it's a win-win (some of my best buys were made after the 2e or 3e visit to same seller) Countless times I left a happy seller with a better deal then negotiated...buying second hand is a skill you can develop.

Learn a basic routine check that prevents you from mistakes like the first one...it will save you loads of cash and that cash comes in handy when you have to shell out a little extra $$'s to seal the deal fast on the first rated stuff. Cash in hand is like heroine for clueless sellers

Invest some money in tools (multimeter, basic soldering station, screwdrivers, ....) & a lot of time in acquiring knowledge (ViperFrank)...learning to repair stuff helps you finding the best buys out there...broken stuff that can repaired cheaply.

Be patient....deals will come

Just say 'no' and walk away if your not 100% shure.

Good luck and keep us informed !
    Last edited by JohnnyDrama; 02-06-2015 at 11:50 AM.

Yesterday I started checking out the free SL-P990...

http://audio-database.com/TechnicsPa...sl-p990-e.html

This is a very nice cd-player, Technics TOTL (top of the line) in the late 80's.
    Awsome build (11.3kg)...dual transformers, 4 x 18bit Bur Brown dacs (PCM56J), Elna Cerafines & green muse caps, SOAD60A ...

79d481e8.jpg

I received this for free when buying another cd-player for my dad.
    The seller told me he got it after buying a lot of vinyl & a HIFI-system and the player kept on skipping on first track (after 50 sec).
    Wouldn't play any other track...

I already have a 770 and if I couldn't fix it then it could serve for parts...even broken ones sell on E-bay for +40EU.
    After 5 minutes it was fixed !

User manual stated there was a fixing screw under the unit to protect laser-unit for transport.
    I just had to push it in et voila, working like a charm.
    Outputs are ok (analogue, optical & coax), original remote also works.

Nothing left to do but lube the laser-unit guiding rods & motor spindle, cleaned up the front and it's done.

Best score in a while

sl-p990.JPG

My Rodec MX180 MK3 left the building..... and is replaced by a second MX1800
    Going to make a rotary version from this one !

Another fantastic mixer in the pipeline (Freevox Club DJ).
    This one needs a repair and TLC, going to take it all apart and rebuild it (cosmetics are great)

Update gear-list:

Booth

5x SL1200MK2
    2x SL1210MK2
    2x SL1210MK5
    2x CDJ2000
    Rodec mx1800 (2:fader version & rotary version) / Rane XP2016a+exp / DJM 909
    Sherman Restyler
    TSP 2 / audio 8 / MBP
    Machine MK2 / X1

Hifi

SL-1200 MK1
    SL-1200 MK2
    SU-8080
    ST-8080
    ST-9038
    SL-P990
    SL-P770
    + B&W DM14 with fresh crossovers

Sound

Speakers
    2x RCF L15P200 (subs)
    2x Beyma cx12 (mid/high)
    2x Focal 7v313 (mid)
    2x JBL 075 (high)
    2x Prodipe Pro ribbon 8 (monitor)

Amps
    Dap Vision 1600 (rcf's)
    Dap Palladium 900 (beyma's)
    Rodec 340 (focals)
    AD vintage (discreet) stereo amp (JBL's)

Processing
    DEQ 2496
    DCX 2496
    SRC 2496
    Xonar DX2
    Last edited by JohnnyDrama; 04-20-2015 at 02:03 PM.

Maybe two more SL's in the pipeline, more news tomorrow... (not that anyone would care)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast