You guys have converted me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default You guys have converted me.

Hey! Been DJing for a while, but just now getting into vinyl (planning on doing traktor control vinyl), mostly because of this forum. I picked up a pair of gemini PT2000 II's. I know tech 1200/1210's are the be-all-end-all, but these were $50 together from some guy that found them (in retrospect, may have been under sketchy circumstances..)

My question is: Exactly how much better are technics than gemini's? I've heard gemini's are pretty low-quality, and I know Tech's are the best there is, but I just don't know the difference yet. Some help? If it's a thing you can quantify, I'd appreciate that too.

My second question is about "needles". I don't know anything about headshells, cartridges and styli. The pair of PT2000 II's came with only one headshell/cartridge/stylus. I took a couple of pictures of it for you guys.

http://imgur.com/Df1LF&hmVSW

What is it? Is it any good/worth salvaging? Should I look for a matching headshell/cartridge? What would be my best bet for a second one? I'll mostly be doing control vinyl, and I won't really be doing much scratching.

Thanks for getting me into this, guys.

As long as they're direct drive, they'll do fine for DJ use. The difference between the Techs and Geminis would be build quality, wow and flutter, and maybe tracking ability. The 1200s have been in use since '79 so that's why they're revered. As long as the Geminis hold their pitch well, they're more than fine to DJ with. As for needles, the Gemini headshell is usable but I'm sure the cartridge is crap. My number one recommendation for any DJ cartridge is the Shure M44-7. You can buy one M44-7 and mount it to your existing headshell and also buy a Shure M44-7H meaning it comes pre mounted on a Technics headshell. Have fun with your decks!

Tech Guru

Hipno is right on the money.

djproben - "But who can resist an album called "the Gay 90s"! I assumed it was going to be a lot of Moby and Keoki...."

Pretty much all of that. Eventually the pull of the technics will come. But in the meantime those will be fine, I mean I was one belt drive stantons and it was awful, but I could do it. Learn on those, just don't go play on techs, or else you will never go back lol.

Great! thank you!

I've been noticing a lot of skipping... Any tips on that? I've got the weight all the way forward and the tone arm height all the way down so it's resting as heavily as possible on the record, but it still skips with any kind of bump, or even when i messaround and scratch the record forwards and backwards hard. Is it user error, or do i have the tone arm settings off, or is it because the cartridge sucks?

I also have an opportunity to buy 2 technics 1200's for $360 that come with the stock cartridges... What do you guys think? would it be more worth it just to do that than buy a pair of the aforementioned M44-7's for $170?

absolutely get the techs that's cheap as. and you can get the standard M44-7 carts heaps cheaper, when technics were discontinued their headshells went up in price from $20 - $40AUS so take $80 off the purchase price, the gemini headshell's will be fine, the only difference is a tiny technics logo on the front
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Do I need to worry about the techs being in bad shape? Guy says they've definitely been used a lot, does that not matter with techs?

Thinkin I can sell the gemini's for a bit, and buy the techs.
    Anyone have any idea what gemini pt 2000 ii's are worth each? Can't find anywhere.

always pick them up and make sure they are working before you buy... those tables are worth nothing that's why no one sells 'em.

Ah. but is it binary...? Either they work or they don't? Is it true that if they spin and make sound, that i should by them, or is there more to it than that?

and you mean the Gemini's are worth nothing, right? shucks...

about the technics learn from the master xonetacular

yep the gemini's, don't feel bad I still have my first set of decks pioneer dj3500 in the shed, only cause I couldn't give them away as any of my mates I offered them to didn't want them after using my techs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast