Becoming a DJ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Becoming a DJ?

Tech Wizard

Question Becoming a DJ?

Hi all,

I've never played in a club but am also only 15 years old, do you think I still have a future in DJ'ing if I continue to mix in my bedroom for another year?

Please leave some tips on how to get noticed by clubs. I've spent an hour trying to make this a good thread but I can't do any better, sorry.

Anyways here's my latest mix, please check my 'channel' out

Bram
    Last edited by Br4M; 11-28-2012 at 02:06 PM.
    Traktor Pro 2 + Numark Mixtrack

Tech Mentor

Is that what progressive house is nowadays? I'm properly out of touch then.
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

Tech Wizard

I think it is. (http://www.beatport.com/genre/progressive-house/15, yes I know there's more than Beatport).

I think it's pretty hard to get club gigs before you are 21 here in USA. Maybe in Europe.

As I've said 2,305 times: spend more time learning to write and produce dance tracks. If you get noticed as an artist, you get the fun gigs and it's easy to learn to DJ.
    ---
    Contact me if you have a cool musical idea. @kentsandvik

The mix was well done, the music I am not an expert on, a little too clubby for my taste.

There are some great threads on getting more exposure on this forum, if you haven't yet search's your friend. I am pretty sure I saw a couple of those within literally last two weeks. There are DJTT articles on that topic too let alone other sites.

Apart from that, I'd be an impostor giving advice on anything else as I am pretty new at this whole thing. But I am a bit older than 15, so I can say a couple of things regarding your general attitude. You're asking other people if you can be a DJ, do you think you can? If that's what you love to do there can't be a second thought about it. You have a great start doing what you're doing at your age. You obviously built up some skills already. I don't know much about the kind of music I heard on the mix you linked, but is there something in it that makes it "you"? That makes it unique? Refining your taste in music is endless, having your own voice is a separate entity and it can only come with experience (be it musical, artistical, life experience). What are your motives to spin? But not only asking those types of questions is important believing in yourself is too. Harsh reality - if it doesn't work out in the long run but you had fun then no harm no foul, right - you had awesome time of your life.

I don't want it to be a wall of text and I might've completely misunderstood the intention of this post, but just my 2c based on the vibe I got from it.

All the best to you, man.

Tech Wizard

Thanks a lot for all the comments.

@ksandvik I don't really think I wanna get into producing (or even just remixing) right now because I don't really have the time to..

@monogammee You're right I should probably find something unique about myself/my mixes and I'll definitely keep on doing it since I like it. The music I got for the linked mix is music I like, but I also chose it because it's popular.. I think this one's more personal but it's still commercial music:

Tech Mentor

If you want your entire career and life to be DJing, "not having time" to learn to produce and such won't really cut it. It takes a lot of effort to make a career out of just DJing alone. It could easily be a fun side hobby for you in the future (as it is for me) but if you want your career to be DJing, it will likely take a lot of effort, and that effort is well spent learning to produce.

The best way to get in to clubs without knowing anyone is to put out content like that guy said, but like those before me also said, its a little tougher getting gigs without being 21 in the US because you can't just go hang out at clubs and meet people and talk to people, etc.

That being said, the mix sounds good to me

Tech Convert

maybe do some online broadcasts , invite your friends.... offer to dj at local parties for free , being 15 limits you from the club but that only means you got 6 years to become a hell of a dj. and theres nothing wrong with being a bedroom dj, its a lifestyle choice.

Tech Wizard

Thanks for the responses again..

I don't wanna be a full-time DJ, I know I should make time for producing then..

Here in The Netherlands I could walk into pretty much any place being 15, but I don't think I'd be taken seriously.

Is offering to DJ for free a smart idea? I mean, if you do one "gig" for free, you can't ask for much the next time I guess, but you do need the reputation.

Being a full time DJ takes a lot of work and dedication. I have one friend that is a full time DJ but he practices constantly, is always learning new music, and creating new ways to mix it. I have another friend that is a tour DJ, he DJs with Wiz Khalifa, and he has done much the same as my other buddy. He started out in clubs and bars and worked his way up. The best way to get clubs to know you is to do the leg work. You have to be willing to put in the time for promotion and your age shouldn't speak for you, leave that to your demos. If you can make solid demos and get a good following then you can get into clubs no problem. New DJs have something we older DJs never had before, social networking. Get a following on FB and Twitter and when you go promote in a club tell the owners that you have a lot of followers. Also, create a FB page for your DJ persona and get likes on there so the club can visit the site and see your popularity. I would invest in a logo and creating a name for yourself so you are prepared for the exposure. Oh and by all means, never DJ for free. That's a mistake that is hard to recover from. You need to make club managers and owners feel that you know your worth. Paying a DJ gives them the feeling that they are working with a professional.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast